IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

me as well, trying not to, but its that twinge  :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I'm not. We've already had two complete fails in this region. I'll be excited when I actually see snow falling out of the sky, no point getting excited until then

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Good work Lassie. And my holiday booking was much as predicted too:

Posted 02 January 2015 - 21:35

8)

lassie23, on 02 Jan 2015 - 20:05, said:snapback.png

Two things to note here. We are flying out to Cuba on 29-Jan, going on holiday without a child for the first time for nearly 20 years, so tornadoes, blizzards and pestilence will be rained down on Gatwick on that day. We will also inevitably miss all the snow over the following fortnight. Though I'll be sorry to miss the fun, I'll raise a mojito or 72 to the forum   8)

Wow! :shok: Good call from Simon Keeling of Weatherweb.net! His summary of the MJO thingy was spot on and so was yours about leaving the country and snow arriving :shok:  Have a great holiday. Parts of America are having some snow flurries at the moment. :D

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 2

Posted

Hmm. BBC weather app shows 9c max for me Wednesday. Thursday looks colder but dry and then the cold continues but I'm concerned that PPN will be nowt so no snow in Norwich. We often are on that cusp of two far inland to miss costal showers but not inland enough for real cold temps. Will be interesting few days.... or weeks if the cold sticks around.

Posted

snowing heavier now in times square, now their rain has turned back to snow, oh i wish  :wink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning

FAX charts updated out to Friday afternoon, ones of interest posted below

post-17424-0-86515800-1422339109_thumb.ppost-17424-0-91349300-1422339110_thumb.ppost-17424-0-47471300-1422339112_thumb.ppost-17424-0-94826100-1422339113_thumb.p

Plenty of occlusions and troughs pushing through the UK giving the risk of showers, again snow is a distinct possibility.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

Updated 27/01/15

BBC Weather for the week ahead , very cold but talk of high pressure moving over us later next week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b050b15d/weather-for-the-week-ahead-27012015

Posted

I just saw the BBC weather and she said nothing about snow for us here ,this week  :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I don't think the Meto/BBC are going to get drawn into any regional show predictions this early, they never do, as it's far to early to see exactly where any showers will fall.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm not. We've already had two complete fails in this region. I'll be excited when I actually see snow falling out of the sky, no point getting excited until then

Very wise. It should be said that no forecast has called significant snow for London either - nothing to get excited about in our region at this juncture

• Like 1

Posted

I just saw the BBC weather and she said nothing about snow for us here ,this week  :angry:

Looking cold but dry yet again I fear!

I don't think the Meto/BBC are going to get drawn into any regional show predictions this early, they never do, as it's far to early to see exactly where any showers will fall.

Not true I'm afraid. They are happy to call for snow in Scotland/NW Eng and the usual spots favoured in this NW dominated winter

Posted

Not true I'm afraid. They are happy to call for snow in Scotland/NW Eng and the usual spots favoured in this NW dominated winter

Not really tbh. Calling snow in the NW is a far simpler job in this setup than calling it elsewhere, that's not to say it isn't possible though. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The warnings at the moment are out specifically for areas mainly exposed to the north westerly winds. Seems logical to me, they will only place warnings up for other areas when they have confidence in a organised band of snow crossing the UK to affect other areas or even now-casting events.

• Like 1

Posted

Not really tbh. Calling snow in the NW is a far simpler job in this setup than calling it elsewhere, that's not to say it isn't possible though.

Everything is possible - but it isn't currently looking likely in our region. I will bet there is no meaningful snow in London I.e. Snow which allows you to go sledging (so 3cm+). I am basing that on the model output rather than hope casting.

Posted

Euphoria then despondency, always within hours of each other.

Steve Murr is keeping a low profile and that for me is a baf omen for wintry weather in our area.

He just posted in the model thread!!!! It's going to turn cold, there's a risk of snow - if that's your thing enjoy it and stop looking for bad news/the end of the cold/a reason for 'despondency'. 

• Like 9

Posted

Everything is possible - but it isn't currently looking likely in our region. I will bet there is no meaningful snow in London I.e. Snow which allows you to go sledging (so 3cm+). I am basing that on the model output rather than hope casting.

Well you're brave for making that call because the cold spell is yet to start and is forecast to last for much of next week too, so you're using model output to predict snow at 168 hours+... You may of course be right and certainly in a nw/northerly setup the SE is never going to be in prime position, but the better bet would be to wait and see what comes up.

• Like 3

Posted

He just posted in the model thread!!!! It's going to turn cold, there's a risk of snow - if that's your thing enjoy it and stop looking for bad news/the end of the cold/a reason for 'despondency'.

Snow is my thing. Am no expert but so many contradictory postings that it sometimes feels there is a bit of trolling going on.

You bokes have a difficult time moderating this good site, but sometimes think you are not strict enough.

• Like 2

Posted

Snow is my thing. Am no expert but so many contradictory postings that it sometimes feels there is a bit of trolling going on.

You bokes have a difficult time moderating this good site, but sometimes think you are not strict enough.

Contradictory posting means people have a differing opinion - we've all met people who have a glass half empty attitude, and people who have a glass half full attitude. So just because some individuals display those different tendencies and voice different opinions I don't think it makes them trolls. 

What you can do is report posts you think are a problem though and we'll certainly look into it. 

• Like 6

Posted

Contradictory posting means people have a differing opinion - we've all met people who have a glass half empty attitude, and people who have a glass half full attitude. So just because some individuals display those different tendencies and voice different opinions I don't think it makes them trolls. 

What you can do is report posts you think are a problem though and we'll certainly look into it.

Point taken, thanks.

Posted

Anyway here is the Euro 4 forecast out to it's furthest time (T48h)

15012900_2700.gif

Showers pushing East/south east so again the potential for some wintry showers during the early hours on Thursday morning. The showers look to be falling mainly as snow on here.

Backed up by some decent 850 temperatures

15012900_2700.gif

And dew points

15012900_2700.gif

Still calling for a dusting in places by Thursday morning.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

METO now thinking end of next week a breakdown to less cold, whereas that had been mid next week.

Best way to enjoy this cold spell is not get to hung up on whether it will snow and exactly what time.

We will likely have between 7-9 days potential and even then a snowy breakdown couldn't be ruled out either.

Will we have bucketload? Unlikely. But reasonably confident of at least some snow.

• Like 2