Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

sorry,but im not going to get excited atm,we really need an easterly or northeasterly for fun and games,just got a feeling that the favoured spots will hit the jackpot again,and us lot in snow starved sout-east england,will be looking on enviously

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

Just watched the weather outlook at 21:55 on BBC and the lady said very cold weekend but next week high pressure moving over us in the south from the Atlantic so any showers dying out and turning dry but some very cold nights. Just hope we can get some snow cover before the high moves over us. â„⛄

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I pay no attention to these, but they look nice. Oxfordshire is on the naughty step. :p

I will not know where to show my face if it goes high in the sky...!

Best to wait for the Euro 4, fax charts and also radar watching closer to the time, good to look at though and just shows that troughs and disturbances can set up out of nowhere..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

Could be another long night then for weds, better get the drinks in then  :D

Posted

BBC London on full ramp - just mentioned chance of snow in the headlines - 7-day extended forecast coming up soon...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Friday

post-17424-0-37086700-1422311421_thumb.g

Moderate north to north westerly wind

Sunshine and wintry showers, these potentially merging into longer periods of rain. sleet and snow. The 850s generally are a little less cold than Thursday, hence the more marginal set up.

Temperatures - 3-6C

Saturday

post-17424-0-56062400-1422311422_thumb.g

Light winds, generally from the north

Sunshine and wintry showers again. Again the risk of snowfall and potentially some accumulations.

Temperatures - 2-4C

Hard frosts will be setting in by this point too. Note the temperature will likely fall further from Sunday onwards as true polar air digs southwards across the UK, probably looking at scraping above freezing from Sunday into next week.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Itv a few wintry showers lol

Makes you laugh really when you think of the snow in new york

Unfortunately northeasters cannot happen in this part of the world. I still think some places may get some significant snow over the coming week or so. As I said a few days back, this does look like being the best northerly in a long time.

• Like 1

Posted

Unfortunately northeasters cannot happen in this part of the world. I still think some places may get some significant snow over the coming week or so. As I said a few days back, this does look like being the best northerly in a long time.

BBC looked uninspiring for our region - all the snow in the usual favoured spots and very little indeed in and around the SE - yet again

Posted

BBC SE showing the cold front coming down all rain and at 11c. then a odd snow shower, then another band of rain coming over us during the weekend before clearing but no mention afterwards, doesnt sound great for us down here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

BBC didn't actually show graphics for Wed night, just went from showing rain/11c at 3pm and then into Thurs morn with odd showers petering out?! Ah well, lets hope for more upgrades, lol!x

Posted

Some interesting interpretations of a couple of different BBC weather forecasts in last few posts.

One Ramped it

One Uninspiring

One Not great.

Ignore the BBC weather forecasts trying to predict PPN ahead and focus on cold first, troughs / frontal activity later.

• Like 1

Posted

Good work Lassie. And my holiday booking was much as predicted too:

Posted 02 January 2015 - 21:35

8)

lassie23, on 02 Jan 2015 - 20:05, said:snapback.png

From around the 22nd of January, the MJO will be moving into phase 7. This in theory will allow high pressure to build out in the Atlantic and push north, forming a block. The block will pull down bitterly cold northerly winds and plunge us into winter proper!  :cold: Low pressure will be forming to our east increasing the risk of snowfall! For the time being the MJO will be moving from phase 5 to 6, which has high pressure to the south and low pressure to the north! Not a good set up for cold, but instead good for mild stormy conditions! You heard it here first, unless you read the website I nicked all this information from! :smiliz19: 4.7c here and dry!

Two things to note here. We are flying out to Cuba on 29-Jan, going on holiday without a child for the first time for nearly 20 years, so tornadoes, blizzards and pestilence will be rained down on Gatwick on that day. We will also inevitably miss all the snow over the following fortnight. Though I'll be sorry to miss the fun, I'll raise a mojito or 72 to the forum   8)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

From a friend in Princetown NJ.

We have a blizzard warning tonight so, as I mentioned in the previous e-mail, we'll get real snow over the next two days, an "Alberta Clipper" as they call it. We get Albertas and another kind of storm, a "Noreaster." The Norester is usually more moisture and we get at least one every year or two. I'll send you some shots, particularly New Jersey / NYC images after a Noreaster. What's amazing around here is how quickly the road crews clear the roads. They do it in the first day after a snow storm, even the back roads.

And their forecast... 3' of snow from one storm 😳

post-8078-0-89253000-1422313215_thumb.jp

Posted

BBC looked uninspiring for our region - all the snow in the usual favoured spots and very little indeed in and around the SE - yet again

Snow will be harder to predict for this region due to the direction of the wind and hence any forecasts of decent snowfall will be at short notice (usual questions about the showers making it across the UK etc).

From the weekend onwards it does look better with a more northerly element, BBC london's local forecast did mention the risk of snow throughout until Tuesday, which is when some models build high pressure over the UK

Anyway I am being called to bed, goodnight all  :lazy:

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

Fax charts are out

T96 & T120

post-19153-0-79261000-1422313965_thumb.jpost-19153-0-20992200-1422313990_thumb.j

It is clear MO are going for a disturbed flow with bouts of sleet & snow, merging into longer spells of snow, observe occlusion I see some places in the country to get plastered. Trough express, fun & games. it will get colder and colder with every passing day, as N'ly really bites down on United Kingdom. By next week it will struggle to reach freezing, and nights will be brutally cold under snow cover, -10C potentially in rural parts in Southern England, Wed/Thurs is also looking interesting but more on that tomorrow.

• Like 2

Posted

Itv a few wintry showers lol

Makes you laugh really when you think of the snow in new york

Web cam  Times square here, somewhere....     http://www.ibtimes.com/pulse/winter-storm-juno-live-stream-watch-historic-blizzard-hit-times-square-rockefeller-1794892

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Come on who's a tad excited

Me

....as always (-: