Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Chino why is it in Easterly the end of line (West) can often be colder than places in East. Yet in Northernly end of line (South) don't fare as well. North Sea?

In my experience that isn't normally the case. Many factors are involved but in a northerly the airmass is modified as it travels to a more southerly latitude ie it gets warmer the further south you are (angle of sun, atmosphere penetration, sea  etc) whereas an easterly moving across the continent is traveling across the same latitude so less modification. Then we have easterly source and extent of cold to consider so each synoptic type should be taken on it's own merit.

• Like 2

Posted

Thanks Chino, yes that does make sense.

In my experience that isn't normally the case. Many factors are involved but in a northerly the airmass is modified as it travels to a more southerly latitude ie it gets warmer the further south you are (angle of sun, atmosphere penetration, sea  etc) whereas an easterly moving across the continent is traveling across the same latitude so less modification. Then we have easterly source and extent of cold to consider so each synoptic type should be taken on it's own merit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Thursday

post-17424-0-96862600-1422222469_thumb.p

Fresh north westerly wind

A band of showers will move south along that occluded front. Given the deeply low heights and 850s sitting around -6C, these could very well fall as snow in places.

Temperatures - 3-5C, feeling bitter in the strong winds.

• Like 1

Posted

Not sure it was today but wasn't it 2 year ago to this day when a big clump of snow moved up from France, giving a very good snow event for the SE? it was a good one approx 10cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Not sure it was today but wasn't it 2 year ago to this day when a big clump of snow moved up from France, giving a very good snow event for the SE? it was a good one approx 10cm.

Sunday 20th January 2013? 

post-15543-0-41478700-1422223519_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Friday

post-17424-0-91649600-1422223791_thumb.p

Moderate north westerly wind

That trough clearing would probably bring some wintry showers during the morning. The afternoon would probably bring sunny spells and maybe just a few showers clipping the north Norfolk coast for now. These would be wintry.

For both Thursday and Friday, there is the potential for a dusting of snow anywhere really.

Temperatures - given the 850s are a little higher, probably 4-6C. Still feeling cold with sharp overnight frosts.

Posted

Sunday 20th January 2013? 

attachicon.gifRrea00120130120.gif

Possibly it was between 20-25th good day, I remember the swathe of white over the SE for many hours, it was heavy & prolonged, It was around the date, I made my forum account to access the regional! :)

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

encouraging update for s/e

click on dartford first to get the south east report

Edited by dallas
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

The so cold 'press,' have already got a whiff of the approaching cold spell. But with the details of snow, depth of cold etc, still to be determined, the media have done their usual and run away with it. The usual suspects are to blame and the usual 'experts' have contributed.

One of them, not (James Madden) who predicted a snowy December, but allegedly blamed the moon and jet stream when the snow failed to materialize, says that 'a catastrophic set of circumstances have come together to trigger a lethal spell of weather. This could lead to anything, gales, huge snowstorms and the lowest temperatures of winter so far. We are now 95 per cent certain that the whole of the country will be affected from the start of February. Such is the severity of this situation I have written to the Government’s Cabinet Office Briefing Room (COBRA) committee urging them to take immediate action. This is going to be a severely damaging spell of weather, the NHS is thoroughly unprepared and has been lucky up until now as it has not been too severe. But this is about to change dramatically with a displaced Polar vortex likely to dominate the weather for the first half of next month.

Here are some headlines people will be reading today.  Okay the last one isn't weather related but is quite shocking and it sounded a bit rude too. :whistling:

BRITAIN is on RED ALERT for a devastating “displaced Polar vortex†to unleash nationwide snowstorms IN DAYS.

Four inches of snow to hit Britain this week... but not before we've enjoyed sun and rising temperatures to rival Spain! 

Britain on red alert! Arctic freeze to sweep in as temperatures drop to –10C

Three-month freeze! Brits warned of big chill colder than SOUTH POLE

Raspberry flavouring's made from beavers. :shok:

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

Weather for the Week Ahead -Detailed weather forecast.

26/01/2015 12:55am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04y8wcn/weather-for-the-week-ahead-26012015

Posted

Cloudy and damp start here. Hopefully this should clear by midday.

Posted

00zs not looking to kind. Bit of a downgrade on the length of the cold spell.

It does appear so, though I think we will see a good few chances for snow as troughs move through the UK which could provide snowfall just about anywhere.

So to speak I think plan A (a continuing northerly trend into February) looks to be heading for the bin right now. Time for plan B, I think we all know the drill by now  :rofl:

Anyway here is Thursday

post-17424-0-12759000-1422258747_thumb.p

Plenty of troughs and disturbances around and the 850s are pretty decent actually (GFS has them around -7C). So I think any precipitation given this and the low dewpoints/wet bulb freezing level will mean the showers would fall as snow.

Beyond that, who knows but I think we will have a good 5 days or so of this northerly pattern to manage something decent. Beyond that, who knows.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

i dont think we will get anything out of the initial NW or indeed the northerly, never do well out of these sort of set ups

The only hope is for disturbances and troughs to set in at short notice and bring snow to the region

A lot of now casting ahead

Posted

Let's enjoy the 5-6 days cold spell. It could still be better snow wise than we normally do. I remember the winter 2010/11 where it was very cold for weeks and weeks after the initial snow we had in early December. But then, we had no more snow. But the ice stuck around for ages and become a real pain. I'd prefer and intense 5-6 days of cold and snow and then revert to milder conditions....and why people think the US are "winners" or "lucky" because they're getting 2ft of snow, blizzards and extreme cold...I think most people on the forum would be begging for the Atlantic to return if this happened here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

Still looking ok for 5 days I guess but as soon as I read this on the express I knew they would put a jinx on it all.

I love this part...

“We are now 95 per cent certain that the whole of the country will be affected from the start of February.

“Such is the severity of this situation I have written to the Government’s Cabinet Office Briefing Room (COBRA) committee urging them to take immediate action.â€

post-13048-0-91712600-1422267445_thumb.j

post-13048-0-66618900-1422267463_thumb.j

Edited by Siberian Xpress

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Quite a big snow warning area covered by the Meto...shame it doesn't include us !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Not sure why the press have got quite so carried away with this forthcoming 'cold spell'. Usually it is just 'Madden' and the 'Daily Repressed' that print ridiculous nonsense. They are all not using the weather models as their source of info, that's for sure! :laugh:

Come back end of March :=)

Agreed, spring should arrive in...................erm........... spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I don't mind 5 days is long enough for a cold spell, I just hope this one brings some proper white stuff with it, not just sleet and snizzle.