Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Dropped to -3.8 this morning, been a beautiful winters day and peaked at 3.3 about 2.30pm.Dropped to 2.2 now but as the rain comes down sure the temp will rise during the night .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

-6.8 this morning rose to 4.8 (although it has felt freezing all day) now down to 3.5! dP 0.4

I suppose the rain coming in will raise rhe temperature this evening??

Edited by paget

Posted

Interesting, we dropped to -2.9 as lowest temp, pleasant sunny day today  and up to +5 by midday, temps now dropping and will fall fast when the sun drops under what looks like it will be a clear sky.

Posted

Some weather models are showing some colder weather next weekend! I won't be getting excited after this last cold spell! Only be getting excited if we had a easterly or North easterly blast!

Posted

Central England 12Z ENS

post-19153-0-02267100-1422038809_thumb.j

Generally good agreement with limited scatter for a cold spell late January into early Feb!

I know some have their birthday on the 31st? Possibly. :wink:

Quite a big flip let's hope this theme continues in the coming day and solidifies.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

February is going to be special...

You heard it first here! 

:whistling:

gensnh-21-1-204.png

gens-21-0-240.png

:whistling:

• Like 4

Posted

I cant get excited about a Northerly. They are generally rubbish for our region. Cold, sunny and dry. Add an element of East into it, then we are talking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Tonight

Milder with rain pushing south east, clearing before dawn and ushering in colder air again (ground frost possible).

Tomorrow

post-17424-0-56365300-1422046878_thumb.p

Moderate north westerly wind.

Dry and sunny, not much else to it. Perfect for my trip to London tomorrow :)

Temperatures

nmmuk-0-26-0.png?23-18

4-6C

Overnight

Clear with a widespread air frost

Temperatures

nmmuk-0-42-0.png?23-18

between 0C and -3C

Sunday

post-17424-0-61970500-1422046879_thumb.p

Moderate westerly wind

A dry and bright start, cloud will increase to bring light rain later

Temperatures

nmmuk-0-50-0.png?23-18

6-8C

Rain will push through Sunday night but will still be around on Monday morning

post-17424-0-59996800-1422046880_thumb.p

This will clear to leave clearer and cooler conditions again

Temperatures - up to 10C in places for a time before the temperatures fall during Monday afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted

I cant get excited about a Northerly. They are generally rubbish for our region. Cold, sunny and dry. Add an element of East into it, then we are talking.

I agree most of the time northerlies, does bugger all down S but after a couple of days the cold gets to the surface and hopefully any lows/disturbances will yield snow - if we get a slightly NE'ly element we would be in business. It will topple unless we get any sort of block, below chart offers hope for something more sustained. And indeed there's a snow threat with that chart but not worth the hassle, at this stage. :)

post-19153-0-93957900-1422049546_thumb.j

Posted

Heatwave: 6.5C :p

lashing down how January...

post-19153-0-03774600-1422050254_thumb.j

@WSI Europe Weather: Higher confidence in colder temperatures 2-6 Feb. GFS model now in closer agreement with colder ECMWF temp anomalies.

post-19153-0-46206400-1422050668_thumb.j

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

I hope this is a trend in the models that doesn't vanish . Fingers crossed and everything else.

For those on the forum a couple of nights ago. I spoke to the man opposite to me that was lamppost watching. he said to me his grandfather said it was going to snow that night so that was why he was lamppost watching . He is only around 16 and a nice chap . I said there was a great forum and he jotted down the address so he may pop in soon.

His name is Daniel so that will make at least 3 Daniels

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Most of the snow I've had has been from a northerly, even a north westerly. In 2009 I watched it cross the whole country from Cheshire to my location. Gave a respectable covering too.

Easterlies hardly ever happen, the coast gets it and then they fizzle out. As I was saying...

post-8078-0-80924700-1422059116_thumb.jp

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

That was some rain, wish it was snow :(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Raining heavy here and not feeling so cold, 8.1c. Good riddance to the over hyped cold spell that delivered a five minute snow flurry, frost doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. :nonono:Did anybody in our region get a decent snowfall? Looks like there is another.......ahem......cold spell on the horizon. :doh: Blowing a gale out there at the moment, set off my door knocker again. :wallbash:

Edited by lassie23

Posted

Morning south east people.. Well the charts a looking dramatic for cold at first appearance, plenty of deep purples over or just to our east from 144...

But really there is nothing there for us folks..when you look at the detail.. I see brisk late winter sunshine and 5 degrees and a moderate frost at night if the wind drops.

Sorry but that is my experience of these sit-ups.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning south east people.. Well the charts a looking dramatic for cold at first appearance, plenty of deep purples over or just to our east from 144...

But really there is nothing there for us folks..when you look at the detail.. I see brisk late winter sunshine and 5 degrees and a moderate frost at night if the wind drops.

It really depends how this trough sets up, something like this

UW144-21.GIF?24-05

Would be cold with an Arctic plunge which would deliver a bitter weekend with snow showers in coastal areas and the potential for disturbances to develop and bring more widespread snow. The UKMO is the best run this morning. The others bring the trough too close to the UK and hence we end up under a cyclonic flow which brings a mixed out airmass, hence any precipitation is mainly rain or hail.

Current conditions - clear and chilly.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

East Anglian I would imagine could do very well next weekend from the current out puts and I can remember on a number of occasions a trough works it's way down the country and we all end up with a decent covering (SE ) .

It's what comes after the northerly that's got my interest, it's a real pattern changer.

• Like 1

Posted

The models are firming up on a 5 day+ spell of colder weather from Thursday, very good support of the Euro trough to remain deep out to day 10. Winds generally from the north/north west. Given the thicknesses, I would expect there to be more than just coastal showers as troughs and secondary lows to develop in the northerly flow, these could both bring widespread events. I personally am starting to expect this to be the best winter spell so far this season and also the best northerly in years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Wednesday afternoon looks to have potential for the south as a cold front travels SE. The cold uppers look conducive for snow on the hills at least:

post-14819-0-77824300-1422094282_thumb.g  post-14819-0-01285700-1422094483_thumb.g

Possibly 2-3 hours worth. Temps quickly dropping and with a wind chill factor feeling cold:

post-14819-0-13650700-1422094578_thumb.g post-14819-0-59202100-1422094578_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

The models look too good to be true at the moment. A big block out to our west, howling northerly winds, heavy snow showers and freezing temperatures. However, if the rest of the winter is anything to go by, a large area of snow will sweep Scotland and then carry on moving south and fizzle out to nothing before it reaches here.  Then we will have a couple of sunny days before the charts throw up another snow event which becomes ever more marginal for the SE, ending in snow flake spotting amongst drizzle. :oops::nonono::wallbash::cray: Oh..........it's sunny here and a bit cold. If the next cold spell turns out to be a whopper, then you can blame me for cursing it before it arrived. :p

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 2

Posted

For those who like snow and cold weather,  these N/ NW snow events are usually a damp squib for us in the SE. However if you look  back a little in time you can find records of severe cold and snow in late January (1972, 1978, 1982,     ) , Feb ( 1983, 1985 sea froze at Pegwell bay,      April 1966 May 1967 ( snow stopped play in cricket matches )  and even in June 1982 , so don't give up. Just be realistic not pessamistic.