Sign in to follow this  
NUT

Windows 10

Does this mean after a year you would have to buy it or would installs during that period continue free?

Does this mean after a year you would have to buy it or would installs during that period continue free?

I assume once you buy it free it stays free (I'll assume you get a key or something)

I was using Windows 10 preview builds on a tablet, it's fantastic! No Spartan browser of course. But, I recommend upgrading when it is available.

When it is, I may purchase a Surface as I don't bother with PC's or laptops anymore.

I'm looking forward to getting a preview build of Win 10 on my Lumia 930 in February too!

As its free i'll upgrade although i never bought my windows 7 so i'll have to find out any code i need.

Looks good. 

Bring it on .. Silver surfer has the need. .Will not need a new laptop until Windows 12+ comes out. Roll on September....

As its free i'll upgrade although i never bought my windows 7 so i'll have to find out any code i need.

Looks good. 

If you do it as an upgrade you won't need any code - basically it installs just like previous big updates such as XP SP3.

You'll have to specifically agree or even manually seek it out.

I already tinkered with it on my oldest desktop - already updated from XP to Windows 7 - however after downloading 2.3GB it said something about the processor was inadequate and could not proceed so haven't actually used it but have an overview of how the upgrade is done.

Windows 10 Launches Late July. References found online band some newspapers.....

I ran the technical preview on my W8 laptop for a couple of weeks but was a bit underwhelmed to be honest.
It's still quite similar to Windows 8.
I had a minor issue it wouldn't connect to wifi automatically after sleeping, which soon became annoying since the laptop is on/off all day.
It was faiirly simple to revert to W8

The Browser for Widows 10 has been named as MICROSOFT EDGE.  It will be the  same platform  for all. Including phones.

Microsoft have stated no more  new Windows after Windows 10..   ....JUST UPDATES ..... 

Apparently those in the inside preview (Beta basically) are going to be upgraded to the final version for free

Microsoft have stated no more  new Windows after Windows 10..   ....JUST UPDATES ..... 

It will eventually be a subscription concept same as adobe are going.

Windows 10 will be out on July 29th

The operating system will be available in 190 territories globally with existing Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 users having one year (29th July 2016) to upgrade to the new operating system.

Microsoft has stressed that users who update during the promotional period will be able to use Windows 10 at no cost forever (or as the company puts it, for the "supported lifetime of the device").

I have reserved my copy today just look out for the symbol at the bottom of your screen (as shown in the picture below) click it and follow the on screen instructions

Untitledf84d0.png

Windows 10 will be out on July 29th

The operating system will be available in 190 territories globally with existing Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 users having one year (29th July 2016) to upgrade to the new operating system.

Microsoft has stressed that users who update during the promotional period will be able to use Windows 10 at no cost forever (or as the company puts it, for the "supported lifetime of the device").

I have reserved my copy today just look out for the symbol at the bottom of your screen (as shown in the picture below) click it and follow the on screen instructions

Untitledf84d0.png

Thanks SS, I've got the same exact icon on my pc but I hadn't clicked on it and so far am reluctant to.

• Like 1

A side note if you do reserve your copy you can cancel it

Right click the icon

Click 'check your upgrade status'

In the top left you'll see 3 lines under each

Click that and another screen will pop out

Click view confirmation and in the bottom left you'll see cancel reservation

Well playing around with the latest preview I would say it's still not ready for release and would say a good few months yet before it is. So I wouldn't be so keen to rush out and upgrade straight away.

Just updated again today and they've altered the start menu yet again. Still seems a total cludge of ideas sadly and if it actually works without having to open the power shell to re-enable it.

Microsoft need to let user choose if they want the metro installing fine for tablets still pointless for desktops.

Well playing around with the latest preview I would say it's still not ready for release and would say a good few months yet before it is. So I wouldn't be so keen to rush out and upgrade straight away.

I agree.

This is what i would consider to be a 'release candidate' - I would probably hang on another six months.

Many people won't get it right away either, as it will be stagger released.

Doh updated again today and start menu broke again and then explorer crashes on shut down. Firefox crashes on downloading a file. Very buggy not ready by miles.