Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Another reason I cannot wait for spring is it means it is warm enough to have the doors inside open again, for now they are mainly kept closed to keep the warmth in a couple of rooms to save waste in the rest of the house, spare room which is my art studio is hardly used this time of year as there is no heating in there.

Roll on spring!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Just 4 weeks to go now till spring arrives it will be here before we know it

Its one thing finally getting to March 1st but its another thing entirely getting the weather to warm up. But least the days get longer and light levels increase regardless.

It was frustrating spring and summer for this area last year come to mention it. Due to those neverending hideous easterlies. I guess i was speaking for the country as a whole.

I recall as a kid flicking through ceefax to page 418 (i think) to see when the first sun index of 2 appeared!

Oh my, i wouldn't dare tell the world something that embarassing about my childhood. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Can't wait for spring now! Can't beat seeing Daffodils and Tulips in flower, the days starting to lengthen (5pm and still light tonight!). Be able to take the dog for his evening walk in the light soon. Also as someone who likes fishing spring brings the excitement that it won't be long until the Mackerel are their to be caught!

So come on spring a nice snowy start followed by some seasonably warm dry days you know it makes sense!!

Edited by bobafet
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Despite it being quite cold at 1C today, I have to say it does still feel quite spring-like. The sun is noticeably higher, to the point where there is a bit of warmth in it. There is also no wind either.

Winter, day by day you weaken!

Yes in the sunshine it feels pleasant today now that pesky wind has finally done one we're feeling the increasing strength of the sun still chilly in the shade but its even better in my greenhouse 25c so far

:)

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

It certainly didnt feel spring like this morning when it was -5c here :cold:

But yes you can feel the sun getting that little bit stronger now especially when there is little or no wind on a day like today.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Yes in the sunshine it feels pleasant today now that pesky wind has finally done one we're feeling the increasing strength of the sun still chilly in the shade but its even better in my greenhouse 25c so far

:)

Christ. Is your greenhouse heated from the inside, i thought most stayed cold in winter.

• Like 2

Posted

Anybody have the Feb sunshine records, barely been in a cloud in the sky by the afternoons here. 

Posted

Christ. Is your greenhouse heated from the inside, i thought most stayed cold in winter.

Its south facing and gets around 6 to 7 hours of sunshine in Feb so it soon warms up when the sun is beating down on it, during the summer its gets around 14 hours of sunshine so you can imagine how hot it gets even with the doors and windows open........

• Like 1

Posted

BBC's take on next week in the week ahead forecast and they are going for a north south split, milder but some rain in the far north, frosty nights and some fog but pleasant in the sunshine further south

Untitled2.png

You know the sunshine is gaining strength and spring is coming when they start suggesting 'pleasant days' again

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

BBC's take on next week in the week ahead forecast and they are going for a north south split, milder but some rain in the far north, frosty nights and some fog but pleasant in the sunshine further south

Untitled2.png

You know the sunshine is gaining strength why they start suggesting 'pleasant days' again

seems to match ECM rather than GFS, yeah, Feb is usually the start of potential pleasant days

Posted

There was a very mild spell in Feb 2012 where many places saw temps in the high teens, plus Mar 2012 was generally mild. Mar 2013 also got off to a warm start... before it turned very cold... and there was a cold snap during Mar 2014.

Spring is full of intrigue and it's just round the corner. :)

Posted

There was a very mild spell in Feb 2012 where many places saw temps in the high teens, plus Mar 2012 was generally mild. Mar 2013 also got off to a warm start... before it turned very cold... and there was a cold snap during Mar 2014.

Spring is full of intrigue and it's just round the corner. :)

March 2012 was all mild/warm, it's the 4th warmest on record. Here in Leeds it was also spectacularly sunny (possibly the sunniest on record) and dry although there were many places that got a lot of cloud. 

• Like 3

Posted

March 2013 was when that Dutch bloke started posting, warning of how cold it was going to get. I think we all thought he was nuts :rofl:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I see the latest CFS goes along with a super -NAO for March once again, with something akin to 2013 showing.

Posted

Personally I think it's very unlikely (obviously not impossible) we'll see anything like March 2013 again for a very long time. It was the coldest March for 50 years as a whole but for some, it was the coldest since Victorian times.

A chilly March is very possible. Maybe something similar to March 2006, but I can't see another March 2013 happening only two years later.

One of the those months that the final CET value doesn't quite reveal how amazing that month really was. You may think what I'm talking about when it returned a 2.7C value but it was 4.9C by the 9th! How it got down to 2.7C from that position is remarkable.

10th March - 9th April 2013 CET: 2.4C

Another amazing thing about that month is that some part of the UK had a pool of -10C 850 air over it for the last 9 days maybe 10 days of that month.

• Like 3

Posted

Personally I think it's very unlikely (obviously not impossible) we'll see anything like March 2013 again for a very long time. It was the coldest March for 50 years as a whole but for some, it was the coldest since Victorian times.

A chilly March is very possible. Maybe something similar to March 2006, but I can't see another March 2013 happening only two years later.

March 2006 for the most part was cold, but a very mild final week pushed up what was up until then a very low CET.

Anyway, if the CFS is actually on to something, I'd prefer the cold to be there right off the bat. As good as 2013 was, the real fun and games happened after a mild first 9 days. Makes you wonder what the CET would have been had that cold spell started 9 days (or more) earlier.

Posted

I don't want a cold March anyway to be honest. By that time I'm just sick of winter and I'm ready for something milder/warmer. March 2013 was just miserable to be honest here, and I was actually moaning when it started to snow because I was just sick to the back teeth of the cold.

Give me March 2012 please.

Not me, I loved it!

Anyway, it's worth noting that March 2012 was also an extraordinary month, but in terms of warmth as opposed to the cold of 2013.

We probably shouldn't expect to see a repeat of either. Maybe people expect too much from March in terms of warmth; average highs of 8/9C, lows of 2/3C and dark at 6-6:30pm. Hardly sunbathing conditions.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Looking forward to some spring warmth actually.. it's been a while since we had double-digit temperatures.. about a month in fact.

I wouldn't say no to a dumping of snow like March 2013 though. Either is good for me.

Edited by cheese

Posted

I don't want a cold March anyway to be honest. By that time I'm just sick of winter and I'm ready for something milder/warmer. March 2013 was just miserable to be honest here, and I was actually moaning when it started to snow because I was just sick to the back teeth of the cold.

Give me March 2012 please.

Hmmm. Considering the differences in the two summers, I take March 2013 anyday if guaranteed a summer like 2013 and bin March 2012 if it lead to a summer 2012esque.

• Like 3

Posted

2011 was average? Spring 2011 was one of the warmest, if not the warmest spring on record! April was perfect!

April 07 was better here even if a tad cooler, had a nice spell in March 11 though too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

2013 was far too cold. I liked March but by the end of it we needed some warmth but still the cold dragged on. Put the garden almost a month behind and even the (mostly) lovely July didn't get it to catch up! Very tricky season it was.

I've only experienced one spring so far over here but they seem briefer than back home probably because they start colder and end warmer so week by week you really notice the change. Last year was almost always sunny & dry with just a feel chilly episodes (and when they chill came boy did you notice it!). Mixed springs are good but by May I'm done with anything cold.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

I want a snowy start to March, and warm end. A couple of heavy t-storms would be nice in April along with warm conditions.