Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

March 2013 was rubbish here, just lots of cold rain and grey skies - no thank you.

• Like 4

Posted

Anything but a boring, homogenous, above average spring like we have seen so many of in recent years. Just some sort of variety would be welcome - similar to 1995 as mentioned above. 15 of the last 18 months have been above the 1981-2010 average (16 of the last 18 above the 1961-1990 average), so more of the same would be very dull indeed. There's also not been any lying snow for almost two years here aswell, so a potent cold spell (in the first half especially) would be very welcome.

I think I would prefer:

March: CET of around 4.5-5.5C, cold start with a potent cold spell before warming up gradually through the month.

April: CET of around 8C, alternating warm and cold spells

May: CET of 13C, A brief early cold snap followed by warm and sunny weather, becoming very warm by the end.

Overall, close to average temps.

Last spring was one of the worst: consistently above average, no snow, thunder, below average sunshine and devoid of any real cold or heat. It was just unbelievably boring.

Edited by reef

Posted

I suppose the old adage of coming in like a lion and going out like a lamb is perfect for me, a wintry start then gradually become less cold followed by some warm sunshine and temps approaching the mid teens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I don't like cold in March, to be honest. It just doesn't feel right to be locked into temperatures that are barely above 0°C when the sun is as high and the days are as long as they are in March, compared with the short days and low sun of December and January. It's also at that point where I'm absolutely sick to the back teeth of winter and I'm ready to see some warmer, sunnier days.

You wouldn't have liked it in the 80s then,march used to be a winter month,daffodills used to get flattened with snow every odd year !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

The met office warned us of a very warm year in 2014

It was warm last year, but not because of the summer.

Roll on spring summer. Can't wait for the bright evenings again. Hope spring is dry, warm, and settled but probably not.

By the law of averages this persistent westerly flow must end sometime. Seems as if it's been going on for years now.

Posted

It's also at that point where I'm absolutely sick to the back teeth of winter and I'm ready to see some warmer, sunnier days

Me too.

With winters as crap as this one I can't wait until the clocks go forward and the brighter evenings, but that's another 9 weeks away and it seems a long way off.

Recent springs here have been pretty crap, although we've had a few March blizzards thrown in, but mainly for the hills.

To be honest I've seen more snow in my lifetime in March/April than December/January/February. Like you say, March really is too late. Even mid to late February is too late.

I think the last decent spring in these parts was 2008 but, I think summer was pretty crap that year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

I'm hoping for a Cold March, and a cool/settled April and May. NO HEAT, TA VERY MUCH!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Me too.With winters as crap as this one I can't wait until the clocks go forward and the brighter evenings, but that's another 9 weeks away and it seems a long way off.Recent springs here have been pretty crap, although we've had a few March blizzards thrown in, but mainly for the hills.To be honest I've seen more snow in my lifetime in March/April than December/January/February. Like you say, March really is too late. Even mid to late February is too late.I think the last decent spring in these parts was 2008 but, I think summer was pretty crap that year.

Mid Feb isn't winter proper to me. Can feel really quite springlike if conditions are right. Snow in March is useless for here...and yes I can say that because I experienced a March as extreme as 2013 and snow still couldn't settle.

Posted

I believe Crewe that March 2013 wss the coldest CET wise since 1892 which is extraordinary really. The strong SSW in January 2013 destroyed the PV and when that happens you know your in trouble. It was also the coldest month since December 2010.

Trouble is, insolation is just too great by then. Ground heats up far too fast and the snow can't stick. It was particularly true of low ground. It was such a waste of a bitterly cold CET month here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Dare i say it even felt just a tad like Spring today around midday. There was just something Springlike about the light and the dry roads made it look like Spring too. The roads in winter are often damp regardless of the weather due to fog and frost. I also went in town in just an unzipped hoody, but it soon became cold later on. Looking at the max temps today shows cold for most but a little area of 6s and 7s over east Yorkshire.

Edited by Milhouse
  • Like 1

Posted

I believe Crewe that March 2013 wss the coldest CET wise since 1892 which is extraordinary really. The strong SSW in January 2013 destroyed the PV and when that happens you know your in trouble. It was also the coldest month since December 2010.

You may be right on cet values,but some argue over wether it was colder than 1962.Here however there were 2 colder march months than 2013.

1917,average 2.3 deg

1962  2.0 deg

2013 1.9 deg

1969 1.85 deg

coldest being 1947 at 1.75 deg

Posted

You may be right on cet values,but some argue over wether it was colder than 1962.Here however there were 2 colder march months than 2013.

1917,average 2.3 deg

1962  2.0 deg

2013 1.9 deg

1969 1.85 deg

coldest being 1947 at 1.75 deg

There is no doubt higher parts round here would have been subzero for 1947 and possibly some of the others!!!!

Posted

Hopefully, a March like 1974 and an April/May similar to 1975.

Mild and settled is what I'm after, but it'll probably just be a continuation of this dreadful Westerly/South westerly.

Appalling weather :(

• Like 1

Mid Feb isn't winter proper to me. Can feel really quite springlike if conditions are right. Snow in March is useless for here...and yes I can say that because I experienced a March as extreme as 2013 and snow still couldn't settle.

I'm sorry Crewe but that is nonsense, firstly mid Feb can see some of the coldest weather of the year, secondly i'm much further south than you and there was lying snow to low ground in my area late March 2013 which hung around until April 5th, remember walking in northamptonshire and it felt bitter in northeasterly winds, felt like January, also another March in the late 00's had some bitter days in a cold Southeasterly flow in unbroken sunshine, ponds were frozen all day, the dewpoints were bitter.

• Like 2

Posted

I'm sorry Crewe but that is nonsense, firstly mid Feb can see some of the coldest weather of the year, secondly i'm much further south than you and there was lying snow to low ground in my area late March 2013 which hung around until April 5th, remember walking in northamptonshire and it felt bitter in northeasterly winds, felt like January, also another March in the late 00's had some bitter days in a cold Southeasterly flow in unbroken sunshine, ponds were frozen all day, the dewpoints were bitter.

It's not nonsense, I experienced it first hand in 2013! Maybe slightly higher elevation helps matters but here we didn't even have a cm accumulating as it was melting on impact.

Also I didn't say snow can't accumulate in mid Feb...I said it can feel springlike if conditions are right...which it can.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

March 2013 was quite snowy in Nottingham - got a good covering and it stayed extremely cold for ages. I can remember one evening a howling easterly was blowing and my old house's heating system could only get the place up to 18c on full power such was the heat sapping ability of that wind!

This of course is extreme - it could just as easy be 20c... which at least would have treated the garden better. 2013 was dreadful for growing stuff that's for sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i will take a mild March a warm April and an average May ... no cold or snow sunny and on the dry side please and thank you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Mild/Warm spells have been fairly common in recent years, with the exception of the freezing cold March 2013. With any luck we will get a taste of Spring in Feb this year too.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I would be surprised if your area didn't see significant lying snow on the 12th March 2006, or before that, the 1st-3rd March 1995.

The big issue in March 2013 was that some areas of the country only saw light snowfalls that provided short-lived dustings.  Tyne and Wear was one such area, and in that region the Marches of 2001 and 2006 were both significantly snowier as far as snow lying was concerned.  Of course, those Marches were nothing compared to March 1979 which had widespread snow depths of 30-40cm around Newcastle and Durham and 20cm near the coast around the middle of the month.  Later that year, snow showers fell widely during the first week of May with lying snow reported from much of Wales and western England including parts of the normally mild West Country.

I saw lying snow in Exeter during a six-month stint here on the 5th March 2009, remarkably enough, though it soon melted. 

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Last couple of days have definitely had a sense of very early taste of spring here in Cornwall. Light winds and lots of sunny skies till about mid afternoon today and much of Thursday. At nearly 10c today and with little wind it did feel pleasant.

Excellent stuff. :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Trouble is, insolation is just too great by then. Ground heats up far too fast and the snow can't stick. It was particularly true of low ground. It was such a waste of a bitterly cold CET month here.

We had over 20cm of level snow with drifts exceeding 2 feet  - the latter is pretty unusual for a sheltered city location. I remember walking on the day after the big snowfall - the high was 1C under bright March sunshine, with snow being blown about. Cars had to slow down because they couldn't see! A few got stuck as well because the blowing snow was literally accumulating on the road, so snow ploughs were no good.

We also had two ice days and the snow lasted until the very last days of March - and there were still areas of snow left in early April that had frozen. Not to mention that we had a few snowfalls earlier in the month.

This is at 86m ASL. Truly an exceptional month and one of the best I've experienced in my 27 (nearly 28) years. In fact, only December 2010 beats it.

Just one example of what I'm talking about..

deep+snow+Collage.jpg

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Personally I'm starting to get that 'march will be a cold one' feeling I had before 2013. No good for anyone.

It was an absolute stonker here, about 2 thirds of the month had either lying or falling snow culminating in an almighty blizzard the second last weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I remember the frustration of 22 March 2013 (or thereabouts) in Sandhutton in North Yorkshire, seeing a belt of heavy snow stall over the Leeds area but with only light stuff getting as far north/east as my location.  The thaw over the following two days was caused mainly by sublimation rather than sunshine/warmth, which made it very notable for late March.

But that's the way it is with most notably cold snowy months- some areas get a big dumping of snow and others have to make do with the odd dusting.  December 1981 was largely snowless in south-west England and January 1982 was largely snowless in north Lancashire and Cumbria, but in both months the majority of the country was both cold and snowy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I remember the frustration of 22 March 2013 (or thereabouts) in Sandhutton in North Yorkshire, seeing a belt of heavy snow stall over the Leeds area but with only light stuff getting as far north/east as my location.  The thaw over the following two days was caused mainly by sublimation rather than sunshine/warmth, which made it very notable for late March.

But that's the way it is with most notably cold snowy months- some areas get a big dumping of snow and others have to make do with the odd dusting.  December 1981 was largely snowless in south-west England and January 1982 was largely snowless in north Lancashire and Cumbria, but in both months the majority of the country was both cold and snowy.

That 22nd March was my best ever fall in a second half of March ever, and in a whole March I can only remember 1995 and 1987 topping it, even though I could have obliterated those two by walking about 1.5 miles to see 6ft drifts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Well it certainly felt like an early spring day today. Felt warm in the sun, albeit still nippy in the shade and it is cool outside now.

• Like 1