Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 16th Jan 12z onwards - Smile While You Post!

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Yes, the ECM 240 is a Stella chart and with the -5c 850 covering the whole UK it would be snow for most.

Normally I would regard this as a ECM tease but with so many signals for a deep Euro through this could easily verify.

In some ways this has been an interesting winter but not as snowy as it should have been IMBY so I still feel a bit cheated.

Andy

Posted

The problem with Northerlys and their set up in this pattern is they don't last long enough to entrench the UK with the cold air required for UK wide snow.  Hights pushing towards the southern tip of Greenland don't reallly block off the Atlantic for long enough, what we need is heights pushing in from the other side of the Arctic to connect with an Atlantic ridge...The GEM 10 day kind of hints at that, and also strenghtens high pressure over greenland.

• Like 1

Posted

The ECM N Hemishere chart at +240 is very similiar to some of the GEFS control runs I posted yesterday morning and Monday night.

If we look at the ensembles its pretty clear we see a drop in temps around the same time as the ECM +240 (29th Jan). Now the real question is will the synoptic pattern be a N/NW,ly blast replaced by W,lys or something more sustained from the N/NE,ly as HLB develops. Personally i haven't a clue as I have lost all confidence in my forecasting!

http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/ensimages/ens.20150121/00/t850Cambridgeshire.png

• Like 6

Posted

Good agreement this morning for the Euro troughing but as to how that could develop afterwards a difference of opinion between the ECM and GFS, the former splits the PV and separates the Euro trough from low heights over Greenland, the latter doesn't.

Unless you can get troughing to the sw then for any decent cold you need that separation and ridge building in from the ne.

I think many who have missed out any snow aren't too keen on yet more marginal set ups and chasing a few hours of slush around, for that reason say a prayer for the ECM!

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Promises Promises and we hope they start to verify.......but

I seem to recall the ECM coming out with what was described as a "very snowy run" about this same time last year so I'm not counting chickens by any means.  I wonder if it's got a time of the year bias?  :) 

• Like 2

Posted

Promises Promises and we hope they start to verify.......but

I seem to recall the ECM coming out with what was described as a "very snowy run" about this same time last year so I'm not counting chickens by any means.  I wonder if it's got a time of the year bias?  :)

I agree and this is why I want to see some consistency from the ECM before I even begin to get excited. Im not sure if others agree but I have been disappointed with the performance of the ECM this winter especially +192/+240 charts. I don't have any proof of this but more of an observation.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

ecmslp.240.png

ECM wanting some of the action?  Turn of month into Feb maintains a 'severe' weather warning from me of very wintry impactual weather from NW to N and at times NE quadrant due to trough over UK/Scandi and NW Europe locale, .  As you know I've been targetting this period for some time and it for me is going to be a repeating pattern [as in not a real cold blast and HP to calm down and keep it cold, crisp and even] more real cold blasts with the trough being very much in charge with repeated volatile conditions.  Interesting pdate from I F isn't it?

BFTP     

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 5

Posted

ecmslp.240.png

ECM wanting some of the action?  Turn of month into Feb maintains a 'severe' weather warning from me of very wintry impactual weather from NW to N and at times NE quadrant due to trough over UK/Scandi and NW Europe locale, .  As you know I've been targetting this period for some time and it for me is going to be a repeating pattern [as in not a real cold blast and HP to calm down and keep it cold, crisp and even] more real cold blasts with the trough being very much in charge with repeated volatile conditions.  Interesting pdate from I F isn't it?

BFTP     

We've been footering around with a winter that, in reality, has been an extended autumn - real winter in Europe is about to begin and probably extend its grip beyond February. The seasonal models were right in the blanket of warm anomalies for Europe, these are now turning to blues for the early spring period - the background signals are changing.

If these charts in todays models come to fruition, there will be plenty to please all flavours of weather enthusiast.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

A massive part of me wants to say do we never learn ?

This cold spell firstly has by in large been a let down , I live on high ground and iv woken up on 4 different occasions to a light covering of snow only for it to be gone 3 hours later , and last nights snow was an absolute let down for most , apart from northern England , when only yesterday the likes Birmingham were in for it , so if that's how bad our cold spells have got in the uk then I think il move abroad .

With regards to the next chase of cold , take the ECM for example T240 , how many times have we saw a complete ensemble suite go for cold only for it to be removed 2 days later . Only last wk we were looking possibly at a freeze from the beast . The difference there I suppose was the met weren't really gunning for it.

But from experience when it looks like the Azores high is gonna head north , even toward Greenland , as we approach t72 the models pick up that the high can't penetrate higher enough mainly because of the vortex segment left over Greenland/Canada which ejects short waves our way , in turn this topples the high after 48 hours . Is that enough this winter that had so much promise ?

I haven't had a catch up on the strat yet this morning but we need to see the strat play its part on the vortex . If we'r to have a sustained HLB to our northwest we need a tanking AO , if we haven't then it's very unlikely to deliver more than a 2 day affair .

I'm just been realistic and chasing a cold spell 10 days away is fraut with danger unless we see stong correlation within the stratosphere .

Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I don't think we are going to have a sustained NW or NE block that wil dominate, Feb imo will be dominated by the troughing with AZH playing its part backing west and at times ridging towards Greenland, thus no sustained HLB [that no doubt will be the talk of Spring knowing our luck] but waves or cold from the N quadrant.

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted

The extended ens ecm promote the sceuro trough as per other postings but thereafter, the pattern looks to be a tad too far East for the uk to be under its influence. This allows for the Azores ridge to be closer which would allow for it to ridge far enough North and west to bring a nor'easter around the trouging to our East. Given the mobility Ian speaks about above and the naefs 'flatter' pattern to follow, I would be thinking that the chances of a sustained cold perod are not high at the moment.

However, in the post 10 day period, colder cannot be ruled out within the broad pattern.

• Like 1

Posted

The extended ens ecm promote the sceuro trough as per other postings but thereafter, the pattern looks to be a tad too far East for the uk to be under its influence. This allows for the Azores ridge to be closer which would allow for it to ridge far enough North and west to bring a nor'easter around the trouging to our East. Given the mobility Ian speaks about above and the naefs 'flatter' pattern to follow, I would be thinking that the chances of a sustained cold perod are not high at the moment.

However, in the post 10 day period, colder cannot be ruled out within the broad pattern.

BA what do you make of the PV split? The GFS 06hrs run almost gets there and looks like its edged towards the ECM. I think most would be happy to just get a couple of days of non-marginal snow, which has been difficult so far this winter away from more elevated areas of the north.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

another chance at a cold spell developing?...

attachicon.gifRtavn2402.gif attachicon.gifRecm2402.gif

and supported by

attachicon.gif814day.03.gif

well done the gfs IF this pattern verifies, it picked up a scandi/western european low a couple of days ago in odd runs. some runs have suggested a major cold spell (with the expected mean trough over scandinavia) or like this morning a more marginal event (for snow).

so on the horizon theres another cold/snowy shot, big question is will this one deliver a widespread snow event or just be yet another let down for most?.

Yeah certainly a trend over the last 24 hours to offer something decent at the end of next week. The Euro/Scandi trough looks a good bet based on the output from all fields. The reality of how cold/duration will be dependent on what happens over the pole as this will ultimately decide how much ridging northwards the Azores high is allowed. Anything from a simple PM north-westerly to a fairly prolonged toppler evolution is up for grabs. If the Pacific ridge can nudge towards northern Greenland you may get a deep north/north easterly developing as the Canadian lobe of the polar vortex separates from the Siberian lobe and this sinks further south into the US.

There seems to be a tropospheric/stratospheric tandem pattern going on so this may offer confidence in this evolution too.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

I don't think we are going to have a sustained NW or NE block that wil dominate, Feb imo will be dominated by the troughing with AZH playing its part backing west and at times ridging towards Greenland, thus no sustained HLB [that no doubt will be the talk of Spring knowing our luck] but waves or cold from the N quadrant.

BFTP

Forgive me for saying but doesn't that contradict your previous post. Synoptically you are describing what we have seen already this winter i.e brief colder spells. The problem with this is that without HLB the N/NW,lys are not sustained enough to bring the very cold air S. What generally happens is upper temps of -5C arrive which generally only give snow showers to Scotland especially over higher ground. What this winter has taught us is we need to see HLB to bring severe wintry weather across the UK.

Edited by TEITS
  • Like 6

Posted

http://meteocentre.com/analyse/map.php?map=Europe&date=2015012110&size=large〈=en&area=eur

As the low slips to the south of the UK the flow backs drawing in drier air from the near continent where modest cold pooling is occurring within the cold high. The south easterly fetch from the English channel is keeping temperatures relatively high along the south coast at the moment but as the wind continues to back even here temperatures look set to fall away. So a couple more quite cold days and nights ahead for much of the UK.

• Like 3

Posted

I think we might just have to accept that, for the foreseeable future, the jet stream is roaring out of America like dragon's breath:

With the AZH in place to our south-west that's going to encourage a lot of cyclogenesis and mobile zonality for the UK. I wish it weren't so.  Still time for changes before winter's end.

• Like 4

Posted

I think we might just have to accept that, for the foreseeable future, the jet stream is roaring out of America like dragon's breath:

With the AZH in place to our south-west that's going to encourage a lot of cyclogenesis and mobile zonality for the UK. I wish it weren't so.  Still time for changes before winter's end.

Of course assuming GFS Operational is correct

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Well as this cold spell draws to a close(disappointing for many as most have said already)the models are looking at end of the month for another potential cold  spell/snap. But it seems the same old chesnut to me. Unless we have HLB to N or NE the likelihood is it will be watered down(even if it occurs!) as we get closer to T0.It is frustrating as we have lower pressure over Northern Italy but still the AH is just sitting too close to Iberia. If this moves North Westwards and links up to Greenland that would be a start.

I think what is happening in Strat could be vital to a cold Spell developing and sending large chunk of PV to a favoured Siberian side for us.With my basic knowledge it looks encouraging but I will leave that to experts like Recreatos,Matt Hugo etc to hopefully give us positive updates. 

I think until the above factors change we wont see any significant changes to the Met Office stance which although looks coolish is unlikely to bring what most on here dream of(a Full blown cold spell with no Margainilty!!).

Just a quick question to Met Office and I apologise if it has been asked before but how much do the factor in Strat Movements in their forecasts.

At least there is Potential this winter and already is a darn sight better than last winters rain,wind and mild temps.

• Like 1