Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 16th Jan 12z onwards - Smile While You Post!

Paul

Posted

Looking at the GEFS at T120 no real changes from this morning's runs with about 45% going with "the slider part 2". The rest in line with the op and control, with the Azores pushing through the trough. I said 2-3 days till this is resolved so time for the ensembles to tip one way or another. I suppose with such an even split we have to accept the hi-res will flip flop.

Some of the members going with the trough are very good, some so so:

attachicon.gifgens-16-1-120.png attachicon.gifgens-12-1-120.png attachicon.gifgens-11-1-120.png

attachicon.gifgens-8-1-120.png attachicon.gifgens-5-1-120.png attachicon.gifgens-4-1-120.png

attachicon.gifgens-4-1-120.png

You can see how the hi-res are flip flopping from coldest to mildest runs 06z-12z:

attachicon.gifgraphe6_0000_306_141___Londres (5).gif attachicon.gifgraphe3_1000_306_141___Londres (10).gif

More runs needed.

Trouble is IDO that it will make very little difference anyway. Those charts are not a cold weather profile for NW Europe. I've been through them and the depth of cold is simply not there. Best we can achieve from that kind of set up is a cold, damp, cloudy affair. Cold enough to be unpleasant and ensure everyone has the heating on 24/7, but of zero use if you want snow. If we could get a proper cut off Scandi high, totally different ball game. Also noted today a further subtle eroding of the upper air profile through this week.

Before anyone gets all excited I am not saying that there are no prospects going forward. Indeed far from it :) . We need to see an arctic plunge into Europe (and some ensembles do hint at that). Then 'sliders', easterlies etc become more interesting! 

edit - A set up like this has much more promise http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?code=1&ech=336&mode=0&carte=0   (though it looks like nothing comes of it anyway :rofl: )

Edited by Jason M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

The push west.

Yesterday's 12zECU1-96.GIF?12 Today'sECU1-72.GIF?18-0

• Like 7

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2015011812/ECU1-72.GIF?18-0

Im going to allow one minor celebration if the ECM verifies

Exit point of slider IOW

SNOW for most with minimal mixing

attachicon.gifUK MAP.png NB IOW was the track

S

Excellent early prediction from a few days back there Steve....even if I'm only about 30 miles outside the God damn blue snow zone 😡 Edited by WINTRY WALES
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Exit point of slider IOW

attachicon.gifUK MAP.png   NB IOW was the track

S

So hope you're right SM, I'm in the north western red circle

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Just a reminder folks moans and groans or chat type comments to the other thread please-over here

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81281-model-banter-moans-and-ramps-autumnwinter-201415/

a few have already been moved there.

Thanks all.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

Sorry to ask in this thread but does this mean the Isle of wight cud get snow? Sorry just not sure whether the slider is gud for us or not?

Thanks

Exit point of slider IOW

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Poor ecm imo 144 hrs looks shocking tbh.Granted its at a distance but picks up and carries on from the 12z gfs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Exit point of slider IOW

S

What sort of accumulations are you thinking in different zones Steve?

No point giving predictions for specific areas at the moments but id imagine 10-15 cm in the best spots along that slider...

ECM 144-168 not quite perfect but very small corrections would result in a significantly improved pattern..

S

• Like 4

Posted

A rather snowy picture painted by the 12z ECM overnight Tue in to Weds and almost identical to the updated FAX prognosis with that triple point down to the West of London.

Sweet spots (anything up to 10cm showing though with caveat of optimistic 10:1 ratio) - N Hamps, Berks, Bucks, E Oxf, Northants, in to Leices/Notts

It should be noted away from that triple point the precipitation shown isn't especially heavy but a few cms shown either side of those zones. The precipitation never quite reaches the far east of EA or the SE

As ever caution noted of analysis of a single det. run

SK

Edited by snowking
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

A rather snowy picture painted by the 12z ECM overnight Tue in to Weds and almost identical to the updated FAX prognosis with that triple point down to the West of London.

Sweet spots (anything up to 10cm showing though with caveat of optimistic 10:1 ratio) - N Hamps, Berks, Bucks, E Oxf, Northants, in to Leices/Notts

It should be noted away from that triple point the precipitation shown isn't especially heavy but a few cms shown either side of those zones. The precipitation never quite reaches the far east of EA or the SE

SK

Haha, that would be about right; our snow shield is in full effect and has been for almost two years now! Sliders rarely deliver much here but, like you say it's only one run and much can change.

Bringing myself back from IMBYland, ECM looks quite progressive at T168 tonight and sinks those heights to the NE well into Russia. Not a trend we particularly want to see, but given the uncertainties over the next few days, it's pretty much FI.

post-4908-0-40256400-1421607516_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

SK

Yet the MetO still don't expect anything significant on all their latest broadcast, however, when I saw the fax I thought that triple point must surely bring snow.

Good luck if you are in the zone that could benefit.

Andy

• Like 1

Posted

If the westwards corrections continue then the ECM would deliver even more interest. The Atlantic really never breaks through so I think we're now waiting to see which way that goes.

I'm not sure we'll see a long protracted battle, the T216 and T240hrs are not without interest the former throws a ridge north ahead of the low and the latter those lows look like hitting a brick wall.

• Like 3

Posted

I think the ecm 12z is quite a big improvement on the 00z run in the later stages because the atlantic does not crash through like it did on the 00z.

Edit - Nick beat me to it lol!

The latter stages of the ecm really does remind me of some of the 80's winter's when fronts would sometimes make it to the east coast only for them to do an about turn and get pushed back west again due to pressure from the beast!

Edited by blizzard81
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

What is an undercut?

It's a very bad haircut from the 90's

(Sorry couldn't resist)

• Like 7

SK

Good post SK & spot on.....

For London I would put it in the snow zone but not mega amounts-

we are of course now talking about margins of 50 miles east or west which could change at T6- so we will see how things go in the next 24 - 48 hours.

Its always tense running the gauntlet of no snow very cold to heavy rain & 3c with somewhere in the middle getting a pasting!

S

• Like 6

Posted

No point giving predictions for specific areas at the moments but id imagine 10-15 cm in the best spots along that slider...

ECM 144-168 not quite perfect but very small corrections would result in a significantly improved pattern..

S

Is this in regard to Tuesday-Thursday?

If so the precipitation is mostly light and patchy.

The ECM PPN type charts are indicative of a mixture of rain, sleet and wet snow.

The intensity of said precipitation is not conclusive for lying snow in the south, mostly transient in nature.

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

If the westwards corrections continue then the ECM would deliver even more interest. The Atlantic really never breaks through so I think we're now waiting to see which way that goes.

I'm not sure we'll see a long protracted battle, the T216 and T240hrs are not without interest the former throws a ridge north ahead of the low and the latter those lows look like hitting a brick wall.

Hi Nick, is this not the Atlantic punching through at T168 on the ECM. Please don't take this as a dig I'm just curious. :)

post-19256-0-47942000-1421608429_thumb.g

• Like 2