Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 16th Jan 12z onwards - Smile While You Post!

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The week ahead looks cold, the first nationwide cold spell of this winter actually. The GEFS 06z mean gives an idea of how close we are to an impressive sequence of borderline ice days but the most interesting feature of the week ahead is the precipitation, there will be snow in places, perhaps significant falls whilst other areas have rain and sleet but also decent gaps of fine weather with sharp frosts and freezing fog, it's a very complex picture as fronts try to push east and then stall, pivot and perhaps even being forced to retreat west again. Areas which miss the frontal ppn will be mainly coastal areas of the north and east but they will have wintry showers with a risk of snow, into next weekend, the colder air may finally be shunted east with conditions moderating but the further outlook indicates temperatures will oscillate markedly from day to day with an ongoing risk of snow and frosts at times between short lived, milder, wet spells...The bottom line is, it's a wintry week ahead with lots of lamp post and radar fun. :-)

post-4783-0-21912800-1421503355_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-94812100-1421503367_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-71970200-1421503375_thumb.pn

• Like 4

A quick comment before the 12s roll- my only comment infact!!

The 12z GFS has a feature at around 120 -126 that provides the WAA & breakdown to the cold over the UK,

Its the low moving ENE over Eastern greenland -

From this output I expect the GFS to start making corrections to it digging south in the form of a secondary slider - bringing more snow across particularly the East of the UK

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015011706/gfs-0-126.png?6

One to watch

S

• Like 7

Posted

Looks like we have snow in the Northeast to watch out for during Monday before the main weather front pushes in from the west

Edit; Much smaller warm sector on this run, could see an all snow event for many Northern areas.

Edited by Snowy L

Posted

Looking good with high pressure further West on this run, need that next low in the North Atlantic to undercut though. On current charts it's oriented SW to NE, we want SE to NW or at least S to N.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1141.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

A nice enough T120 from GFS 12z tonight. Its still maintaining the slider low and this looks to be getting an easterly going:

gfs-0-120.png?12

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

GFS day 4

gfs-0-96.png?12

UKMO

UW96-21.GIF?17-17

The GFS manages to separate the Iceland flow and send it south east as a cut off low into Europe, which sets up an easterly later on with showers pushing in off the north sea. The UKMO still has an elongated trough through the UK up to Iceland.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

GFS 6h and 12h for Thurs 7am

gfs-0-120.png?6gfs-0-114.png?12

Slightly strong heights over Greenland with westward correction of low to the south.

Scandi heights marginally stronger and slightly further NW. Low over southern UK slightly further north...

Wonder if the Scandi heights can find a way to link up with Greenland heights down the line with weaker LP putting up less of a fight against the heights to our N/E? If so we could end up with a slider?

Edited by GUWeather
  • Like 2

Posted

I think we are really going to struggle for a major snow event this week as the temperature profile just doesn't look supportive. I think in the north with some modest elevation it's a maybe, but down south on lowish ground I just don't see it.

The 528 dam line is supportive for much of the week, but we come back to the fact it's a maritime based flow and 528 dam won't neccersarily cut it.

For instance take the chart below, we really need values of 10 or less and through this week were just not seeing it.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=90&code=0&mode=6

If later on we get a continental undercut this will change the position dramatically, but 850s and temp profile just look slightly the wrong side of marginal. This is really because the initial northerly has not got the potentency needed to get some Arctic air into the mix.

In old money it looks like being a 'rather cold' week rather than a truly cold week. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying some won't see snow, indeed most may see some wintryness, but a big snow event..... Not so sure.....

Edit by 120 with an easterly flow much better. Shows how important continental sourced air is

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 6

Posted

Compare the 120 hour chart from ukmo yesterday to the 96 hour chart today and todays is better! ! Slacker more of a sausage low and scandi high further west!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Another small improvement on the GFS 12z vs the 6z.  Nice uppers at 138 as well, baby steps and all that but any improvement is gratefully received!

gfs-1-138.png?12 gfsnh-0-138.png?12

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

The cold spell looks to last into Friday now with -6 uppers still around

gfs-1-132.png?12gfs-1-138.png?12gfs-1-144.png?12

Considering the GFS showed a break down on Wednesday on yesterdays 12z, this is a good improvement, lets hope this continues

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

I think we are really going to struggle for a major snow event this week as the temperature profile just doesn't look supportive. I think in the north with some modest elevation it's a maybe, but down south on lowish ground I just don't see it.

I disagree, the north with some modest elevation, maybe? The charts show ppn turning readily to snow across midlands and north. Already this weekend, places in Scotland, NI, WALES!!! and Northern England have seen lots of snowfall, and I don't see how this will be rain anywhere away from southern coastal counties early next week.

Ongoing snow prospects are still up in the air as models play with various outcomes but I think the cold air will definitely be snow for a good chunk of the country Monday to Wednesday, especially those places already enjoying snow.

Edited by i luv snow
  • Like 3

Posted

No confidence in anything past 72 hrs at the moment,and certainly not at day 5 which is FI 

gfs,,post-2839-0-25526400-1421511627_thumb.pn  ukmo..post-2839-0-21336000-1421511628_thumb.gi

Smile while you post. :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild winters, wet & windy summers

I love these everything's further west comments we see with every run.

So far on this run there is no real change at the moment. Our snow fortunes will only improve if we start picking up a continental feed. Time will tell.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Is it any wonder people get confused !!!

Shaky was talking about 96 hours, NBLSB was talking about 120 hours...

I love these everything's further west comments we see with every run.

So far on this run there is no real change at the moment. Our snow fortunes will only improve if we start picking up a continental feed. Time will tell.

The cold spell lasts an extra 48 hours, and it's not just the airflow that increases chances of snow. Some continental feeds can be dry.

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 1

Posted

Is it any wonder people get confused !!!

Not really!! i understand what Shaky means. Ie the 120 of yesterday is now todays t96. And well todays t120 is todays t120 LOL

Posted

No confidence in anything past 72 hrs at the moment,and certainly not at day 5 which is FI 

gfs,,attachicon.gifgfs-0-120.png  ukmo..attachicon.gifUW120-21.gif

Smile while you post. :D

Chalk and cheese, however, even if the UKMO turns out right a Northerly would follow a couple of days later. Whilst there is no deep cold modelled at present, things will stay below average for most.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I'm sure it was noted last winter (or the one before) that the resolution of the UKMO model is very high out to t-72/t-96 but falls of a cliff at 120 and more particularly 144....

*straw clutching*

I'll get my coat...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

People saying only snow for the north???

Please revisit after you understand what implications the surface cold pool has....

UKMO is decent for snow for the whole spine of the UK...

GFS starting to amplify at 120-150 but not enough this run..

S

Cheers Steve, I think people need to look at the bigger picture, as has been said before cold uppers aren't the only thing that will determine whether we get snow or not. Today's runs are definitely more positive than yesterday's!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

People saying only snow for the north???

Please revisit after you understand what implications the surface cold pool has....

UKMO is decent for snow for the whole spine of the UK...

GFS starting to amplify at 120-150 but not enough this run..

S

Finally, people need to pay attention to this post.

Just to clarify my position, I certainly dont think this will only be snow for the north - but the comment re: 'north with elevation, maybe' is misleading as models currently show snow for most of UK Monday to Wednesday via two fronts, maybe marginal for far southern coastal counties but that's not a given either. So people need ot show some patience and let the models firm up on next weeks opportunities! All to play for IMO.

• Like 4