Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 16th Jan 12z onwards - Smile While You Post!

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Brilliant post Ian, however regarding point 9....

9. Thus, can we desist from further forum freak-outs today...! :-)

You have two hopes of that happening, 'Bob' and 'No'!

Anyway, back to the models and thankfully there has been a swing back towards a colder outlook by the GFS and ECM, hopefully the UKMO will look a little better later.  It looks like FI is around 96-120 so pointless looking any further (unless it's showing a raging easterly at 360 when clearly it will verify!!!).

Right, back later for the 18z.....please don't let us down!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Seeing as it's nice and early in the day, perhaps we can see the remainder of Saturday through without the hysterics expressed on the forum yesterday?

Critical points of note are simple:

1. Amplified upper pattern remains favourable for (two) trough disruption(s) early-mid next week

2. Scope of how and where these may occur will NOT be correctly resolved in ANY model at this lead time

3. Ergo, any over-analysis is pointless at this lead time given great uncertainty and variance/volatility in model handling

4. Likely erratic and eventually weakening E'ward progress of occlusion into cold air Tues means uncertainty on areal spread of snow: GFS PPN phase charts to be viewed with due caution.

5. Risk of rain onto frozen surfaces even where no snow. Varied wintry hazards look inevitable but no compelling evidence for a 'nationwide snow event' in strict defined sense. However, threat of disruptive snow for some areas (starting in parts of NI initially under frontal mass ascent; then W Scotland and Wales) is quite obvious, although no regional detail is reliable for now.

6. The potential for some easterly flow later into the week could not be *wholly* discounted yesterday (despite some claiming so); nor again in this morning's output, albeit still considered a lower probability outcome (ca. 40% support for some easterly component in 00z MOGREPS-G)

7. Attempt to resume westerly mobility later in the week (Weds-Thurs, powered by strong jet) may threaten further snow with second trough disruption. Importantly, the transition/timing and evolution of this switch will inevitably be messy and poorly resolved in all models currently.

8. Further swings in output are a given, as models struggle with upstream driving developments in W Atlantic/US.

Honest, reasonable, factual, accurate description of latest output.Hope this will make for a great model discussion and yesterday's moans was just a blip lol! Edited by snowice
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Oh I love it when Ian's all masterful. Lol delete/ban/bin.

Edited by Barking_Mad
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Seeing as it's nice and early in the day, perhaps we can see the remainder of Saturday through without the hysterics expressed on the forum yesterday?

1. Amplified upper pattern remains favourable for (two) trough disruption(s) early-mid next week

2. Scope of how and where these may occur will NOT be correctly resolved in ANY model at this lead time

3. Ergo, any over-analysis is pointless at this lead time given great uncertainty and variance/volatility in model handling

4. Likely erratic and eventually weakening E'ward progress of occlusion into cold air Tues means uncertainty on areal spread of snow: GFS PPN phase charts to be viewed with due caution.

5. Risk of rain onto frozen surfaces even where no snow. Varied wintry hazards look inevitable but no compelling evidence for a 'nationwide snow event' in strict defined sense. However, threat of disruptive snow for some areas (starting in parts of NI initially under frontal mass ascent; then W Scotland and Wales) is quite obvious, although no regional detail is reliable for now.

6. The potential for some easterly flow later into the week could not be *wholly* discounted yesterday (despite some claiming so); nor again in this morning's output, albeit still considered a lower probability outcome (ca. 40% support for some easterly component in 00z MOGREPS-G)

7. Attempt to resume westerly mobility later in the week (Weds-Thurs, powered by strong jet) may threaten further snow with second trough disruption. Importantly, the transition/timing and evolution of this switch will inevitably be messy and poorly resolved in all models currently.

8. Further swings in output are a given, as models struggle with upstream driving developments in W Atlantic/US.

Fantastic post with some valuable incite/information..... it maybe a good idea to inbox this in bold to every member....

• Like 4

Posted

You can see by the ECM postage stamps to T120hrs why this is high stakes for cold and snow lovers:

post-1206-0-55699000-1421483083_thumb.gi

Theres lots of different solutions , some good and some downright ugly in terms of cold potential.

Thankfully the ugly ones are very much in the minority, but theres some which will likely bring some snow initially then less cold, snow and further snow, some likely to bring in a slackish easterly. There really are several different avenues that those members could go in past T120hrs.

• Like 1

One of the best posts on here ever, lets get this upto 100+ likes folks.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Ian F's post definitely shows the high degree of uncertainty at the moment re developments during next week and certainly a pragmatic and patient approach is the way forward.

As bluearmy mentioned earlier, it is likely to be tomorrow before the models really start to get a handle on the placement of low pressure on Tues/Weds, but even then the snow/rain question will still be very hard to call until very close to the time, same with the Eastward extent and intensity of any precipitation.

Therefore I hope people take a step back and consider these factors when looking at the output today. I myself had a wobble last night because I allowed the GFS 18Z to affect my judgment; because of where I am, I don't take well to Easterlies suddenly disappearing and being replaced by Westerlies! However, I know deep down that these kind of synoptic setups are volatile so my lesson is learned!

• Like 3

Posted

But with a really rather disjointed vortex it really isnt taking much to budge it across to the Siberian sector - the wave 1 that appears responsible is not hugely impressive in scope but still manages to do the trick according to current forecasting.

SK

Hi CC or anyone else who can reply

Sorry for being a bit dumb on this matter but ideally where would we want the vortex to setup to enable blocking to our North West to occur??

Would we want the vortex to set up as one in this locale? Or split and have a daughter vortex in this location?

sorry for the confusion and if in the wrong thread....just wanted to keep an eye on this in future model output.

Regards WW

Edited by WINTRY WALES

Posted

You can see by the ECM postage stamps to T120hrs why this is high stakes for cold and snow lovers:

attachicon.gif120.gif

Theres lots of different solutions , some good and some downright ugly in terms of cold potential.

Thankfully the ugly ones are very much in the minority, but theres some which will likely bring some snow initially then less cold, snow and further snow, some likely to bring in a slackish easterly. There really are several different avenues that those members could go in past T120hrs.

The GEFS spreads at 120 hrs pretty much sums it up,with the UK being at the center of uncertainty across the Northern hemisphere. :laugh:

post-2839-0-52171900-1421484215_thumb.pn

• Like 7

Posted

RE: strat

Posted a couple of days ago about this so I'm glad that consistency has remained (I too have not had a chance to monitor inter-run consistency on this)

However my fear with this, tropospherically, is how much energy around the Greenland locale gets left behind - obviously far too far away at this juncture to put any sort of accuracy on that given recent model trends to underestimate energy in that area (apparent even from events over the last few days) before correcting closer to T+0.

But with a really rather disjointed vortex it really isnt taking much to budge it across to the Siberian sector - the wave 1 that appears responsible is not hugely impressive in scope but still manages to do the trick according to current forecasting.

So a potential return to something a little more mobile whilst this transition takes place seems fairly likely at this stage. Im sure some members will be sick of people saying this this winter, but what we see the other side of this is the best potential for some sort of blocking based to our North-West for some time.

Of course question marks remain on the transition tropospherically given the building Siberian high, and ongoing uncertainty (due to rather poor mid-term modelling) surrounding the progression of the MJO and any over-riding effects this could have.

SK

Yes kris - tropospherically, the split by day 10 is closing as energy heads back across from Siberia to Canada. This no doubt responsible for the uptick in the northern arm post day 10 modelling. how we would get the majority of the trop vortex back to Siberia promotes some big questions. can't see it myself and if it does happen, it will again uptick that Atlantic jet - unless we have some blocking in just the right place, that tells it's own story. However, it doesn mean we couldn't see a scenario as the current one playing out. Edited by bluearmy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

Amazing post and from what I can pick out of this could it be that westward corrections are coming into play which is similar to what occurred back in January 2013 where the models 4 days out were too progressive and then suddenly at just t12 it was only an event which got as far as Birmingham before heading south into France followed by another attempt which was the same! I'm punting on westward corrections again!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

Nice report Gibby, my thoughts exactly regarding enjoying it while it's here, we only have frost but I'm happy.

I think whats evident is that the models are firming up on bring cool/mild weather back to our shores by midweek, but with all if feb to play for and a nice cold pool to our right hopefully we can just have one good easterly before winter ends.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Nice report Gibby, my thoughts exactly regarding enjoying it while it's here, we only have frost but I'm happy.

I think whats evident is that the models are firming up on bring cool/mild weather back to our shores by midweek, but with all if feb to play for and a nice cold pool to our right hopefully we can just have one good easterly before winter ends.

Take the time to read the excellent analysis here this morning.Your last paragraph has no relation to what the models show or what experts here are saying,it does infact mislead which i'm sure was not your intention.

Quite how you see a ruturn to "cool/mild" by Wednesday is beyond me!

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The ECM op at D8 (so probably starts D5+) is progressive with the breakdown of the trough by the Azores Ridge:

post-14819-0-58293600-1421486267_thumb.g Compared to the mean post-14819-0-95366100-1421486267_thumb.g

So that means the ECM looks like another typical op outlier for temp at D9 plus:

Mean post-14819-0-55298400-1421486331_thumb.g OP post-14819-0-84875100-1421486331_thumb.g

In theory then even better prospects for maybe another 2-3 days of cold, especially for the east. So a good ensemble suite as I would expect the UK to be affected by two sliders. Lots of scatter after D8 on the De Bilt, which is no surprise:

post-14819-0-81202400-1421486444_thumb.p

The GEM control at D7 is an excellent trend: post-14819-0-07458300-1421486509_thumb.p post-14819-0-68949900-1421486508_thumb.p

About 33% of the members show a slack easterly at D8 on the GEM ensembles, not a million miles away from the MOGREPS. Still some uncertainty but a move in the right direction at the right time.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 6

Posted

Extended ECM eps mean/anomolys fairly consistent with yesterday's 12z . Jet nw/se axis with the through into e Europe. N Russian ridge should maintain a theme of the flow disrupting but at the moment, this looks more likely to be to our east re snow potential although we look likely to be under the trough so cold rain? Perhaps think of week 2 jan but bit cooler. Cold zonal. remembering that this is the 'envelope' , that allows for both the Azores ridge to come east into Europe or for the trough to disrupt further west, pulling us into the more wintry zone.

• Like 2

Posted

It is a really intriguing outlook. It seems certain it will stay cold until Friday of next week but how that translates to conditions on ground regarding snowfall is difficult to gauge. In my opinion there doesn't seem to be the precipitation signal for widespread disruptive snowfall- some lighter snowfall perhaps but the trough disruption looks like a weak and weakening feature at least in the first half of the week.

• Like 1

Posted

IDO commented on the GEM control. It's worth just adding to that to say it's strongly representative of the GEM ensemble suite at day 5. In fairness the gem ens were holding the line through yesterday re a slack easterly whereas the GEFS were all over the place.

Edited by Jason M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Good news on the GFS 06z op up to T84, no wild swings, a general consensus with the 0z with subtle variations, one being a very slight shift west:

post-14819-0-36438000-1421488850_thumb.p  post-14819-0-70006600-1421488849_thumb.p

• Like 3