Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 16th Jan 12z onwards - Smile While You Post!

Paul

Posted

Look to the bottom left on that chart.Very slight accumilations tbh

Pretty sure they haven't taken into account the 1mm of rain = 1cm of snow rule. There's no way they would cap the scale at 20cm.

Bluearmy, Ian F himself said Scotland would get disruptive snowfall and mid-Wales northwards had a good shot of seeing some snow. I don't see how you can possibly put Northern ireland in a warning and not Scotland, which is what UKMO have done

Edited by Snowy L

Posted

And so it begins!! What we are looking for on the 12z is more trough disruption and scandi high backing west even further!! Oh and the obvious, a bit more snow om Tuesday and Wednesday ;)!!

• Like 4

Posted

Pretty sure they haven't taken into account the 1mm of rain = 1cm of snow rule. There's no way they would cap the scale at 20cm.

Bluearmy, Ian F himself said Scotland would get disruptive snowfall and mid-Wales northwards had a good shot of seeing some snow. I don't see how you can possibly put Northern ireland in a warning and not Scotland, which is what UKMO have done

He talked about the 'greatest risk'. That's not the same is it?

The front will have decent precip on it when it arrives in n Ireland - that's why the warning is there. At the moment, too much doubt how much will get to the mainland so no warnings yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Just a brief one from me at moment as 12z role out.  GFS 06Z has for me something of a run here.  HP to ENE to be in place for A while is on the money for me as I've gone on about and its effect will pan out as we go along and it is IMO looking likely influence to keep us below average rather than other way round.  It is very likely to come under pressure as 06 shows but has enough influence to not get quickly pushed away and keep things interestingly chilly/cold.  On that I think the ever present AZH is going to become 'useful' as we enter Feb.  I do see and maintain a shift is afoot and coming due to the SSW we had.  I think what 06 goes on to show with deep troughing and an ever increasing NW to N flow to develop as the AZH retrogresses and links back towards Newfoundland and S Greenland.....so deep FI 06z is looking very feasible.  PV to shift and a very cold volatile pattern to set in

airpressure.png

This is where I sort of see us heading for my 'coldest month' with maybe block to our east not shunted as far east.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Remember people, it's the low leaving Canada at day 5 that's important. Weaker and slower..

• Like 2

Posted

T120 is taking ages to arrive!

Can I say 'it's different' ?

Keeping us in our toes but the heights to the ne seem to be coming into play more and more. Given the apparent strong Atlantic jet, surely that presents so much to look forward to from a cold perspective?

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

96hr correction West, better Easterly on this one

post-7073-0-47147100-1421597038_thumb.pn

Beyond this, take with a pinch of salt

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Intial slider 20/21 clears through quicker, good or bad?  Is it likely to be a more active feature....dates to me say yes.  Let's see where it leads from there.  T108 and the trough to NW not disrupting SE yet as the 06z had signs of it doing

gfs-0-108.png?12

Having said that tentative signs on t114 of that starting....t126 says 'not really' and this has AZH being more influential written over it

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1

Posted

t114 has the system exiting the Eastern seaboard slower and pulls the ah back further. Should allow the Icelandic depression to disrupt further west and the Scandi ridge to be even more influencial - that's the theory!

EDIT: different profile to our North had carried the jet further east than the 06z run.

It's just different and tricky to draw any conclusions.

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 3

Posted

Should be a decent run for a good week or so. The low is still south of Canada at day 5 and so has not yet phased. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Hmm change at 120 hrs regarding the second low.Looks like its attached itself to the pv over Greenland and hanging on for grim death!!

Posted

t114 has the system exiting the Eastern seaboard slower and pulls the ah back further. Should allow the Icelandic depression to disrupt further west and the Scandi ridge to be even more influencial - that's the theory!

Unless we get a NAVGEM solution then the the low leaving the eastern seaboard will phase with the Icelandic low but because the Icelandic Low is weak, it'll happen further west. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

UKMO at 96 v t120 yesterday:

UW96-21.GIF?18-17UW120-21.GIF?18-17

Big swing westwards

SK

Fax charts will make interesting viewing especially for those of us situated in Central parts of the UK by said timeframe and perhaps other areas, as to my eyes the incoming front by then will not be making much inroads and will be positively stalling. :D  This latter situation has been mentioned by those in the know before in this thread. I suspect it may be brought up in the media forecasts too as there will likely be further travel problems midweek for some regions. Usual caveats apply until details are firmed up on this event and I'll leave that horrible task to the professionals.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Azores high trying to make inroads again? Good run in the short term, maybe not so beyond t144...

gfs-0-150.png?6gfs-0-144.png?12

Posted
Im just on the Northern edge of the sweet spot Steve, personally I think that the warming of the Irish Sea will leave many without elevation with rain/sleet, the further East the better.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Not trying to raise a separate discussion here, but they also often overcook them, can I ask why you think there will be more than suggested?

Just an instinctive hunch, last minute developments in marginal situations seen it a hundred times :)

• Like 2

Posted

Still the trend for the Scandi high to edge eastwards towards Russia which of course means more chance for the Atlantic to eventually win the battle. Of course there is signs the scandi may be more stronger and may resist the Atlantic somewhat but there is no real trend for it to back too far westwards to allow any significant cold to come in from Scandi and that is  a fact really. 

Regarding the easterly, well not only it is probably not cold enough for snow for the most part, it could turn out that there is not much instability either so a lot of cloud, feeling quite unpleasant really. 

Would not mind taking a cold raw easterly if it can lead to some reward down the line but it looks doubtful really. 

• Like 2