Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 16th Jan 12z onwards - Smile While You Post!

Paul

Posted

^^^ Yes on this run lots of snow in the North Sea. The pattern just a bit too far east: attachicon.gifgfs-0-240-8.pngattachicon.gifgfs-2-240.png

Yes but the interest is really over Iceland , we don't manage it here but at that range it could change. if the pattern upstream is more amplified with more dig south of the jet that would help to cleanly eject the shortwave.

Its better than what the 00hrs wanted to do with ejecting the PV se across Greenland, in that case it was game over.

Very hard to know at this stage what could happen, the Euro troughing looks likely to verify given the overwhelming signal for that but as for the rest still too early to say.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

Not liking this !!!! 1050mb - that won't shift in a hurry

16 days away, unlikely to verify!!!!

• Like 5

Posted

Not liking this !!!! 1050mb - that won't shift in a hurry

Worth adding that when Ian F mentioned blocking many wrongly assumed this means a big freeze is on the way. Obviously the blocking has to be in the right place and on the 06Z the high pressure is certainly in the wrong place.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Nope those last 4 charts would great in July, i'm beginning to think we are chasing shadows for any type of prolonged snowfall in the southern half of the UK. We need a high pressure to establish itself to the north or northeast of the country but that jetstream is just too strong for anything to take hold.

• Like 1

Posted

Nope those last 4 charts would great in July, i'm beginning to think we are chasing shadows for any type of prolonged snowfall in the southern half of the UK. We need a high pressure to establish itself to the north or northeast of the country but that jetstream is just too strong for anything to take hold.

On face value, whilst I am inclined to agree with that assessment, you never know what can pop up. Ian F left some interesting comments earlier about the current set up. As TEITS has mentioned above, it's where the blocking occurs that's the crucial factor. The latest operational GFS is not in a favourable position for colder weather over the whole UK, not just the South. Still plenty of winter left for something colder, but at the moment, like you, I can't see anything too obvious in the current outputs for sustained cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

On face value, whilst I am inclined to agree with that assessment, you never know what can pop up. Ian F left some interesting comments earlier about the current set up. As TEITS has mentioned above, it's where the blocking occurs that's the crucial factor. The latest operational GFS is not in a favourable position for colder weather over the whole UK, not just the South. Still plenty of winter left for something colder, but at the moment, like you, I can't see anything too obvious in the current outputs for sustained cold.

Well you say plenty of time, but to get snow on the ground and to stay there will become harder the further into February we go as the sun becomes ever stronger, especially in the south of the UK, which so far this winter has not done well at all. So the less we see these sort of charts, the better! even though in deep la la land 

gfsnh-0-336.png?6

Posted

I would get more interested if the control run was correct.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/runs/2015012306/gens-0-1-216.png

At least you would get a few days of cold NW/N/NE,lys before it topples.

Problem is the mean is much flatter.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/runs/2015012306/gens-21-1-240.png

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Worth adding that when Ian F mentioned blocking many wrongly assumed this means a big freeze is on the way. Obviously the blocking has to be in the right place and on the 06Z the high pressure is certainly in the wrong place.

Indeed it could be dare I say a Bartlett.

• Like 4

Posted

I'm confused guys. It's the end of January. So how on earth can a chart like this:

gfs-0-192.png?6

only return uppers like this?

gfs-1-192.png?6

Come on - I mean, only -4C uppers in the Faroes???

TEITS: quick look at the ens for T216 - I think 13 out of the 20 go for a northerly of sorts at this time period - not bad - but again, only a few of them are as cold at 850Hpa as they look!

Edited by rjbw

Posted

Not a bad ECM cluster and at that range a very strong sign. Assuming this is not mischief from the algorithms then a continued good signal:

https://twitter.com/mjventrice/status/558591620564926464

I think thata the 11/15 day mean/anomoly IDO although he does state that half the runs habe the Alaskan ridge.

Of course - for us, that may not mean the euro trough is quite close enough as time passes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I'm confused guys. It's the end of January. So how on earth can a chart like this:

gfs-0-192.png?6

gfs-1-192.png?6

TEITS: quick look at the ens for T216 - I think 13 out of the 20 go for a northerly of sorts at this time period - not bad - but again, only a few of them are as cold at 850Hpa as they look!

Because it's not that cold at the source/NE.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

gfs-0-192.png?6

gfs-1-192.png?6

Because the whole of the sea near the Scandinavian coastline is warmer than usual, possibly?

post-22381-0-29410000-1422015309_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

But that's not northern blocking, I'm sure Ian F mentioned northern blocking ?

Posted

But that's not northern blocking, I'm sure Ian F mentioned northern blocking ?

Nope just blocking, and he stressed the positioning would be crucial.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Don't get carried away though. The critical part of my post was regarding where we see any block and resultant broadscale flow/temperature regime. I can't stress that enough.

See

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

Nope just blocking, and he stressed the positioning would be crucial.

Very true but if anything of the pressure level of that monster verified then it could go wherever it wants, and a couple of hundred miles more north would indeed mean game on....unlikely maybe but interesting nonetheless

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Ian did mention blocking - and if you remember a week or so ago - he mentioned that Met models were trending an anticyclonic spell in February with a SW airflow - a Bartlett fits the bill ! At least it will be dry & settled

• Like 2

Posted

Jonathan

A bit of a misconception in your original post that the more intense the high the more difficult it is to shift.  Not so.  I do not know what it is that determines how easy or difficult it is to shift a block, or how one can tell that from charts.

Of course, given the chart that you posted is so far away, and at 1050 over central Europe, it seems exceptionally unlikely to verify, I would say that it is a somewhat academic discussion at this point in time. :)

• Like 2