Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 16th Jan 12z onwards - Smile While You Post!

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

The Denmark Strait is between Iceland and Greenland (which is an overseas territory of Denmark).

Ah ok, ty

Posted

That depth of euro trouging seems a bit early in the expected evolution .

Need to see what the catalyst for that was in that particular run.

Does show that mobility may not be what you were expecting it to be!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Hmmmmm...ECM beginning to feel the love.  Timing seems not too bad either as I think it'll be early Feb before the best set up but that is definitely for me showing the right direction.  It's deep FI and detail will alter but somehow I have more confidence of this pattern setting up come Feb rather than blisteringly cold easterlies with the way the AZH has always wanted to be part of our winter?  One thing to note is bottom left hand corner....that'll possibly prevent high amplification and would probably go on to roll over the top.  Still onwards and upwards, I'm pleased with the runs

BFTP

ECM1-240.GIF?20-0

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2

Posted

gfs day 10 not looking so crazy ?

like i said earlier, this evolution is expected but not until later week 2. the current cold spell accelerated its onset ahead of the ens prediction. same again or ops being over aggressive with the solution ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

like i said earlier, this evolution is expected but not until later week 2. the current cold spell accelerated its onset ahead of the ens prediction. same again or ops being over aggressive with the solution ?

BA

It seems a tad speedy, I'm thinking more from say mid first week of Feb although set up plausibly earlier as I think we'll descend into it rather than 'flip'

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted

I would normally say ops being over progressive but the fact that both gfs and ecm ops go down the same path has me thinking they might be on to something.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Just taken a look at the latest output. Goes to show how poor this winter has been for the coldies as people on here are getting excited about northwesterlies. I am hoping for more amplification to the north and North East which hopefully will bring true winter weather from the east.

Ah...but for coldies in North Western parts it has been a rather good Winter so far - 5th day with snow on the ground here with a little dusting to top it up tonight. December was alright here also.

Not too shabby at all, especially after reading posts on here 10 days ago stating zonal all the way and temps just above average, :-)

Charts still show snow surprises throughout the rest of this month so good times for coldies all over the UK and Ireland hopefully.

And still all of Febuary to go - exciting times.

• Like 6

Posted

It's amazing how quiet this thread becomes as most dart off to the regional threads.

Still wondering whether there might be some surprise snow as a cold front clears se during Saturday, theres quite a steep temperature gradient suggesting that the precip has a chance of being caught up by some colder 850's behind the cold front.

Hi Nick, we're hopeful it shouldn't be an issue for UK. Certainly snow showers likely into NW (some feeding further southwards) on Saturday, but luckily the heavier frontal PPN looks to be all entrained within milder 'slice', with WBFL's (attached, 12z UKMO-GM) up at 600-800m+. However, it could yield a significant freezing rain hazard on crossing away from the UK into the continent.

post-15852-0-31570500-1421782346_thumb.p

• Like 3

Posted

Hi Nick, we're hopeful it shouldn't be an issue for UK. Certainly snow showers likely into NW (some feeding further southwards) on Saturday, but luckily the heavier frontal PPN looks to be all entrained within milder 'slice', with WBFL's (attached, 12z UKMO-GM) up at 600-800m+. However, it could yield a significant freezing rain hazard on crossing away from the UK into the continent.

Thanks Ian . I suppose it does depend on how quickly the precip clears, the 850's behind are really quite cold for the set up. The cold in relation to this seem to have been upgraded over the last few days as the outputs have slowed that eastern USA low.

Could be quite a sharp frost especially towards the south and se as the winds ease on Saturday night.Winds look like freshening later on towards the north.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

I think the models are trending towards cold zonality, just enough amplification for people further north and west to have snow chances. Turgid charts the further SE you go, but NW airflows rarely deliver in this neck of the woods bar the odd tail end of a streamer from the NW.

certainly a different winter for most than last year even if result is similar in terms of snow amount for a fair chunk of the country.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Both ECM and GFS looking "unusual" towards day 10. Im liking it though, a big Euro trough is the overwhelming signal. When a strong signal like this becomes apparent in FI the detail surrounding will obviously change but the overall signal is a good one for potential colder conditions.

Recm2401.gif

• Like 3

Posted

All we need now is the Siberian high to edge westwards over the Euro trough and Net-Weather have nailed their monthly forecast :D

• Like 3

Posted

Freezing rain for which areas Ian??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

All we need now is the Siberian high to edge westwards over the Euro trough and Net-Weather have nailed their monthly forecast :D

Yeah and the bl--dy AH to do one Westwards and we would be in business!!

Posted

Looking at the models today there is good reason to believe by end of the next week we have some very good snow opportunities, in February a Nw'ly flow can still produce snow at any altitude if sustained for a few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Freezing rain for which areas Ian??

Think he means when it leaves the UK, into FRance, Belgium etc as temps lower there.

• Like 1