Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 16th Jan 12z onwards - Smile While You Post!

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Can't see raging Sw flow either looking out

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Quiet on here this morning, may be everyone's actually waiting for the ensembles to come out before jumping the gun for a change!!! Lol still snow chances to come through the week!!

• Like 5

Posted

At least its not one of tbose weeks where we get snow and then it gets washed away straightaway! ! Whatever falls will stick and stay in place till sunday with temps freezing at surface!

• Like 4

Posted

I think these SWesters will verify briefly.

That said, I suspect they will be very short lived. It's probably no bad thing that the current set up breaks down as the extension West of the Russian high is probably a road to nowhere anyway as it would just be gloom fest . The upper air profile to our southeast is not supportive of anything truly wintry and that's where we would be sourcing the air from.

Even now some of the GEFS are wanting to quickly amplify things post breakdown. There is always the risk that any zonal pattern will overstay it's welcome but that risk is lower now than after christmas. Personally I'd rather roll the dice again than lose 10 more days stuck under a badly aligned ridge.

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Where was the bit where I said raging south westerlies???

Feel free to look at the rest of the post again to find it....... :)

I said a return to a near normal westerly based pattern which is well supported by the models and ensembles. This also is backed up by the views from other forecasters including the metoffice. There is no model output this morning which shows the Russian ridge putting up a significant a fight to repel the westerlies coming in at the end of this week.

What the met have said or at least Ian himself on hear , is to be cautious of any quick return to the atlanitc , there's so many uncertainties going forward , and he said they expect to see a return to westerly mobility in the 10-15 day range , which sounds a resonable assessment , I'm not saying it won't happen , I'm saying we see time and time again the models pick up on something , only to drop it again , it was only 12 hours ago there was no real end in sight , now it's definately coming in 5 days ? Things will change again as they always do which is why I never take one run as an emotional rollercoaster like many do .
  • Like 3

Posted

ECM ensemble day 9 and day 10 charts...

Reem2161.gif

Reem2401.gif

Looks bog standard January synoptics for me.  Strong PV over Greenland and moderate Azores high = positive NAO.  Maybe the shallow troughing of Europe may help going forward but in my eyes these are poor charts and it could be a long way back to cold...

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The ECM mean brings back the Atlantic a couple of days before the op:

post-14819-0-19445800-1421656283_thumb.g 

There appears to be very little uncertainty within the models and I do not know why it would flip back. This cold spell just looks like a normal January spell and probably not a reaction to any strat warming or major pattern change, any heights were just wedges of surface highs, and I think we would expect more from even a minor SSW. The GEFS spread at D7 shows the ensembles are all in line:

post-14819-0-09773100-1421656529_thumb.p

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

I think these SWesters will verify briefly.

That said, I suspect they will be very short lived. It's probably no bad thing that the current set up breaks down as the extension West of the Russian high is probably a road to nowhere anyway as it would just be gloom fest . The upper air profile to our southeast is not supportive of anything truly wintry and that's where we would be sourcing the air from.

Even now some of the GEFS are wanting to quickly amplify things post breakdown. There is always the risk that any zonal pattern will overstay it's welcome but that risk is lower now than after christmas. Personally I'd rather roll the dice again than lose 10 more days stuck under a badly aligned ridge.

Regarding the post breakdown amplification, I believe that is the scenario that Tamara has been going for in her recent posts.

A diving South of the jet bringing Westerlies across the UK for a short period and then a more favourable pattern developing after that.

Having looked at the charts for the weekend this morning, I think it is more likely than not we will be in some kind of Westerly influence by then but I am not convinced it will ever turn truly 'mild' before a re-amplification of the pattern and further shots of PM air bringing colder conditions particularly the further north you are.

We may then be influenced by something more substantial from the North / North East if pressure remains low in Europe and the Azores high remains displaced, particularly if that Russian high does not get blown away.

Just my two penneth worth anyway...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Well it looks like, as others have said, that the cold spell will last to the weekend, front clearing Friday and a brief ridge followed by the Atlantic at D8. Then from the current NH profile it looks like the PV over Siberia will drain back to our NW (NE Canada). It looks a slow process and the mobility does not really promote any chance of HLB'ing. By around the 2nd Feb the PV is re-organised, control and op:

attachicon.gifgensnh-0-1-348 (1).png attachicon.gifgfsnh-0-384 (12).png

What happens after then may determine the Feb flow. Of course that is based on this run and it may change. Has about 50% support from the ensembles, so by far the largest cluster, but several more runs needed to see if it has spotted the next trend.

ECM and GEM also back to the Atlantic from around D8. All the models suggesting the Russian high is pushed back east after D8 so some sort of push west by that high now looks to have missed the boat.

So the main question is can some in the south get a spell of snow  this Wednesday? The London ensembles have been consistent around 40% for several runs, so there is still a chance for some in the south:

attachicon.gifgraphe6_0000_306_141___Londres (7).gif

(Note the op and control are the coldest runs Friday-Sunday with the majority bringing in the milder air on Sunday.)

According to the hi-res WRF the first front slows as it travels east and stalls by T50 and the second front catches it by T56:

attachicon.gifnmmuk-1-56-0.png

So spine of the UK. Afterwards the satellite low gives the SE a chance of some snow:

attachicon.gifnmmuk-2-61-0.png attachicon.gifnmmuk-1-61-0.png

So promising  :D

Carol Kirkwood having none of it, total rain event for lowland UK.  Re the discussion or a return to weather from Atlantic to return over the weekend I think it will happen but also a return of HP building back later in Scandinavia as it axes and wanes BUT it won't be typical SW;ly flow as its the AZH nudgin in with LP to NNW BUT as Carol said...we won't be anywhere near tropical but no doubt for me a regime from the west to be more apparent.  An interesting feature pops up on the 00z but by then temps are too high.

airpressure.png

Big change comes months end into Feb.  Anomalies for me showing the way ahead with AZH retrogressing and troughing moving down over us.  With having had the SSW [mini, full, half...whatever] I think this will be to do with a shifting of the PV.

BFTP   

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

What the met have said or at least Ian himself on hear , is to be cautious of any quick return to the atlanitc , there's so many uncertainties going forward , and he said they expect to see a return to westerly mobility in the 10-15 day range , which sounds a resonable assessment , I'm not saying it won't happen , I'm saying we see time and time again the models pick up on something , only to drop it again , it was only 12 hours ago there was no real end in sight , now it's definately coming in 5 days ? Things will change again as they always do which is why I never take one run as an emotional rollercoaster like many do .

Ultimately my take is based on the last 48 hours or so, plus experience that when the high sinks over to Russia, it doesn't usually come back. This is of course opposite to the surging Siberian highs we see which can lead to an easterly through the back door.

There is good agreement that a occluded front will push east on Friday which may give snow to some areas depending on how the front sheers and disrupts as it hits the cold air over the UK, ultimately all the models clear this front into the north sea with the Azores high ridging to some degree over the UK. At this point the jet can only run over the top and hence the next low will meet little or no resistance. From this point our next source of cold air will be more likely to come from the north or north west as low pressure pushes over the UK and into Europe.

Shown by the anomalies here

EDH101-168.GIF?19-12

EDH101-240.GIF?19-12

I would definitely favour a more mobile set up, but still scope for PM incursions to occur. As we head into February there are definitely signs of interesting develops as we head into February (possible SSW and the MJO coming into play again)

Ultimately for me the Russian highs only help now will be to allow more potent PM incursions and also its potential to put north towards the Arctic which of course would have its own implications, as opposed to seeing a prolonged easterly develop from it.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

GFS charts show snow for much of West Yorkshire on Wednesday. BBC and Met Office show nothing but dark cloud on Wednesday. *shrugs*

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Good morning all.

First things first, the later outlook. All three models have a return to mild next weekend so whilst this may not be the case we should be open about it (edit, see Emotional Rollercoaster's post above which I've just seen: quite right). These are the respective T144 charts, so not exactly FI and note unanimity between GFS and UKMO, and almost identical ECM:

UKMO

GFS

ECM

Secondly, we've been hearing about westward progression of this low for some days now. Here's an example of how the upper air temps have moved significantly east: identical ECM charts from yesterday's 12z to the overnight 0z:

Yesterday

Today

So, for this coming week. I've never seen such a stand-off before between the BBC / Met Office (with whom I agree) and some on here / GFS / Steve. It shows how borderline this coming event is. The BBC forecasters are currently going for wintry mix, mainly sleet and rain for southern Britain whilst Steve's snow map and the GFS snow type charts are showing significant snowfall. What to make of this?

The reason I side with the current Exeter thinking on this remains the frontal attack line. Because the fronts are progressing west to east there is little or no extreme undercut. The first front would therefore most likely both fizzle out and drizzle out. By this time, without undercut, the 850 hPa temps and dew points are rising so that the second front pushes through, again straight west to east, as rain. The frontal attack west to east shows up on the latest Fax charts:

What we would have wanted to see is the centre of the low forced west, pulling the front into a 90 degree axis straddling from 270 to 90 degrees. This is the best snow scenario for southern Britain as exemplified in a channel low: the front pushes in hits the cold, easterly driven, air ahead leading to an easterly or north-easterly flow and huge undercut. The current set up is completely different with the frontal attack line axis almost running from 0 to 180 degrees as the fronts themselves push through from west to east. See below:

The best hope actually probably resides with the kink, which leads to an undercut, which you can see here on yesterday's fax chart and which Steve has occasionally mentioned. We await to see if this is still showing in today's update. I fear, to be frank, that it won't and that this is chasing phantoms, but there we go:

I'm not trying to be party pooper. The GFS still shows widespread snow. I think this is questionable and at the moment for the reasons above I think it's falling the wet side of the fence. I earnestly hope that's completely wrong.

This is exactly how I feel and mentioned that yesterday afternoon. This seems to be backed up by IF with return to zonality(coolish) by Saturday being the favourite. Howver,I don't think it will be especially mild, just slightly above average temps and then we may have a strat warming which appears to be commencing that could make the start of Feb interesting. However, nothing 100% yet(never is tbh with UK weather) and hope SM is right and for once Met Office is wrong(you have to say they have been consistently good this winter and big thanks to IF for his fantastic assessments so far this winter)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Interesting further out in to Feb is this bad boy comes off that is toasty.

gfsnh-10-372.png?0

Meanwhile back at the ranch,a snowy week for some begins

15012100_1900.gif

100% better than last winter.

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

post-2797-0-26569600-1421659165_thumb.gi

hmm.... well from a personal pov im quite happy with this, and the prospect of something mild for february is possible IF the azores high has a slight eastward shift.

looking like the chances of a deep freeze via a scandinavian high evolution is less likely this morning, but its not totally out the window. going off the above ecm charts, a ridge building between expected troughs might lead to something cold.

whilst the gfs...
post-2797-0-01080000-1421659417_thumb.gi

demonstrates a possible route to a cold evolution , only on this run (00z) it doesnt materialise.

the next 2 weeks are imho the pivotal point in winter, if theres going to be a reasonable cold spell, it has to manifest within this timezone , or at least have the 'building blocks' in place. if however in two weeks time the atlantic zonal is established id suggest (based on experience) that a decent cold spell is unlikely. (but not impossible).

personally, id prefer a bartlett driven february :spiteful::p but thats unlikely too.

the noaa 8-14 dayer suggests an upper flow from the northwest, so a cool mix of tm/pm air similar to early jan. so no deep freeze nor mild bartlett is likely IF this chart verifies' just average - ish winter weather.

post-2797-0-57370000-1421660023_thumb.gi

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

So, for this coming week. I've never seen such a stand-off before between the BBC / Met Office (with whom I agree) and some on here / GFS / Steve. It shows how borderline this coming event is. The BBC forecasters are currently going for wintry mix, mainly sleet and rain for southern Britain whilst Steve's snow map and the GFS snow type charts are showing significant snowfall. What to make of this?

hi west... (richard isnt it?)

given that the predictive charts are notoriously unreliable, maybe the met o / bbc are more likely to be accurate?

Posted

the noaa 8-14 dayer suggests an upper flow from the northwest, so a cool mix of tm/pm air similar to early jan. so no deep freeze nor mild bartlett is likely IF this chart verifies' just average - ish winter weather.

Pretty much how this cold spell started as well, while these charts are useful for a general theme they do not pick up features that can greatly;y effect our weather..... 

Looking at the ECM Mean, I believe only one day do the 850's get above 0 and the GEFS have a pretty constant north westerly theme to them.... distinctly average. 

i would say in 15 days time we will be late the beginning of another cold outbreak like the one we are in now. By the time this breaks down another will be on the charts.

given that the predictive charts are notoriously unreliable, maybe the met o / bbc are more likely to be accurate?

No doubt about it the Human forecasters will have a better handle on events tomorrow/Wednesday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

My take on the week ahead is we have 3 bands of wintry ppn pushing east, the first is on tuesdsy, the second on Wednesday and the third is on Friday, 3 chances of snow, I think that's not bad considering the mostly dross we have endured so far this winter! there will probably be a lot of wet snow on hills in central and northern uk but even southern UK could have wet snow, especially on hills and frosty, icy nights all through this week.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

I must admit that sometimes I do wonder.

For the last two days we have been looking at possible cold weather extending and becoming more established via most models.
Today the models change, whilst believing and understanding Ian F,s expert input in here, even the MO cannot always be right.

I have understood and learnt many different aspects and inputs from the more professional people on here,  in which my understanding has greatly increased since being here.

The bottom line is I have learnt that each model has the last few hours readings put in, this can in times of extra chaos in the atmosphere, can  well change today's output and more especially the next few days.

I expect that by the end of this week the outputs may well be totally different, because the starting data is likely to run a different course, mainly due to conditions changing across different parts of the world.

• Like 4

Posted

I often champion the resilience of the Scandi High compared to model output, but the question is not whether it will fight westwards with time (happens more often than not) but whether it will correct westwards enough to be any use to us. Due to a minor upper trough over Norway at T72, I cannot now see it coming back far enough - in the short term (see below):

gfs-0-72.png?6

However, now it has appeared once, it may have another stab a bit later down the line - as is sometimes the case (February 2005 springs to mind) - but we're talking a couple of weeks down the line now.

Back to the present, a slight westwards correction on 06Z, whatever happens on the edges, the Midlands does not look like a good place to be driving around on Wednesday:

66-780UK.GIF?19-6

Edited by rjbw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

Interesting further out in to Feb is this bad boy comes off that is toasty.

gfsnh-10-372.png?0

Meanwhile back at the ranch,a snowy week for some begins

15012100_1900.gif

100% better than last winter.

Why would that be?

Northern part still got snow, where as southern areas still had rain.

Edited by liam300
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

To be fair Mushy, i think he did say he agrees with the met solution.

Very tricky for them because, not only is the track not pinned down, and there's a fine line between it being snow or rain/sleet, but the accumulations if it's rain would not be worthy of any sort of warning, while if it's snow it may well be worth warning for some disruption. Very tricky for them imo