Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 16th Jan 12z onwards - Smile While You Post!

Paul

Posted

WIB unfortunately we don't have 12hr steps so the easiest comparison in terms of trend is to use yesterdays UKMO 00hrs and todays 00hrs.

I'm looking more at the impact of how the pattern could develop to wards next weekend and whether the cold can get extended, as for the slider that's giving me a headache and I still don't think that's sorted out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild winters, wet & windy summers

As I said yesterday, the lack of continental feed makes any snow prospects marginal.

There needs to be a (Real) shift west for any snow chance improvements but as it stands this is an over rated cold spell. This mornings charts see a north west type influence so a wintry mix generally is this weeks offer. Maybe the Scandinavian high can save the day on future runs.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

Morning WIB

The guys are right ever since 2 days ago where the 12z suite all switchef to a track over holland ( remember the ukmo ) they have all been bending back west

So much so the overnight ECM is pretty much back to where my original forecast line was-

The ECM at 144 is now at a point where the track is as good for snow as the first 2 sliders & the cold had been extended out to 192 with the potential here for another repeating pattern -

The last 4 consecutive ECM runs have all been upgrades as have the GFS& UKMO all be it not quite as acute as the ECM ....

S

does this mean your snow forecast map from the other day still stands steve....ta
  • Like 1

Posted

post-6981-0-97431600-1421571292_thumb.jp. post-6981-0-55357100-1421571299_thumb.jp

Decent agreement between gefs bias corrected and ECM ens at day 10

Just to say that the extended eps show a change in nuance on the 00z suite post day 10 as the Azores upper ridge looks to be a bit more influential and any disruption would seem to be weaker and more likely to our east. It could be the start of the model trending towards a different evolution completely. As it's one run, best not to dissect it without any clusters to support.

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 3

Posted

Got to say I find the charts quite underwhelming, the cold uppers are just getting mixed out with each run and any PPN coming in from the West is more than likely will lack any real intensity to try and compensate for the mixed out cold air.

I also don't think an easterly will float my boat, cold, raw, mainly dry weather does not float my boat and will the Scandi high really come into play much? I very much doubt it, models are clearly saying it will head back towards Russia and the UK will eventually be back in the milder Atlantic air. 

Whilst it good people have got some snowfall, this cold period could easily be more memorable but sadly what could wrong has gone wrong but thats the weather for you. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

attachicon.gifimage.jpg. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Decent agreement between gefs bias corrected and ECM ens at day 10

Taking this on face value that's got sliders written all over it , infact one would say looking at that alone that's a very snowy set up for the uk? As they drain into europe the key will be weather we can get any separation of the sliders , if we can then you would think we will pull these colder uppers from over eastern Europe over us , which will obviously hold us in good stead for the next slider ?

But even if not , I'm sure we'r sitting in negative uppers , we just hope the atlanitc doesnt move milder uppers over us , if we can sit with uppers of maybe -3 with a gentle southern/southeasterly wind before the event then fun and games will ensue ! But that's a strong anomaly over Scandi showing its hand .

Blue army I'm just a bit puzzled because with the vortex taking a trip to Siberia in 10ish days , that doesn't realy promote a Scandi high does it? Maybe it can retrogress west ??

Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 3

Posted

Well I thought the westerly regime was likely yesterday for the weekend onwards- now it looks like that is on shaky ground.

There really is very little detail over what is likely to happen in the next 72 hours let alone by the weekend.

I don't see a signal for heavy snowfall this week- light patchy snowfall yes but not widespread heavy disruptive falls.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Well I thought the westerly regime was likely yesterday for the weekend onwards- now it looks like that is on shaky ground.

There really is very little detail over what is likely to happen in the next 72 hours let alone by the weekend.

I don't see a signal for heavy snowfall this week- light patchy snowfall yes but not widespread heavy disruptive falls.

Like you say, it's too early to say. Things can develop at very short notice in an unstable airflow. Edited by john mac
  • Like 1

Posted

Taking this on face value that's got sliders written all over it , infact one would say looking at that alone that's a very snowy set up for the uk? As they drain into europe the key will be weather we can get any separation of the sliders , if we can then you would think we will pull these colder uppers from over eastern Europe over us , which will obviously hold us in good stead for the next slider ?

But even if not , I'm sure we'r sitting in negative uppers , we just hope the atlanitc doesnt move milder uppers over us , if we can sit with uppers of maybe -3 with a gentle southern/southeasterly wind before the event then fun and games will ensue ! But that's a strong anomaly over Scandi showing its hand .

Blue army I'm just a bit puzzled because with the vortex taking a trip to Siberia in 10ish days , that doesn't realy promote a Scandi high does it? Maybe it can retrogress west ??

Shaun, not sure where this story about the vortex headed to Siberia has gained traction. There is a split but the Siberian side is not strong. Thereafter, the Siberian side becomes absorbed into the Canadian. That's the mean viewpoint. the Siberian vortex in the mid/upper strat week 2 is perhaps where the confusion has come.

The latest eps extended keeps a split of sorts though the Siberia segment very flaccid and not influencing our part of the N.H. there is plenty of room for a ridge to our east but how far north that can get is open to question unless that split becomes more defined, nw Russia into scandi seems reasonable, given the location of the vortex.

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted

UKMO-GM has been modified to slow Fri frontal advance by 9-12 hrs.

that 9-12 hours could make all the difference to what happens after that lol!!! Anyways ian latest gfs has a slacker flow and everything further west aswell!! One thing of note is the scandi high is becoming a big player now in extending this cold spell!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow

Ukmo 00z is not bad at all!! Its a brilliant start to the day peeps!! Compare yesterday's 00z to todays on ukmo and everything is being pushed westwards and there more trough disruption going south east than east!! Compare yesterday's 120 hours to todays 96 and thats potentially another snow event for England! !

Parts of England but model does not show se in that set up. Unfortunately.

Edited by snowfish1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

UKMO-GM has been modified to slow Fri frontal advance by 9-12 hrs.

Sorry but what does this mean.anyone. Thanks.

Edited by Fozfoster
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Sorry but what does this mean.anyone. Thanks.

Block -v- Atlantic. UKMO model maybe too progressive with the westerly encroachment on Friday. Ergo cold lasting longer.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

whats needed to prolong the cold spell and turn it into a proper event is for pressure to build and sit over scandinavia, the azores high is largely immaterial in such situations . theres time yet for pressure to anchor over there, but its not expected to.

......... and this morning the mood must be one of optimism (for cold lovers). i havnt read all the posts, so sorry if im duplicating anything (time restraints).

with the now significant downgrade of the mild rescue expected next weekend, for me, its a significant shift. the great cold beasterlies of 85 and 86 were brought to us via a strong scandinavian high (as were other cold spells) and these freezes often come off the back of a messy synoptical mess beforehand. just like the weak indistinct mess we have now. and with the return to westerly atlantic zonal pattern now downgraded, theres a far greater chance of high pressure building and sticking over scandinavia.

high over scandinavia... thats the key to a freeze (for the less experienced, obviously the 'big guns' know that).

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

GFS Sending more SE.

gfs-0-114.png?6

0z

gfs-0-120.png?0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

What will this mean then for us?

Possibility of another slider scenario but due is unlikely to produce any potential snow in the south.

If the GFS keeps us with the trend of edging west + sending energy SE then there could be more snowfall and prolongs the current colder scenario we're in.