Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 14th Jan 12z Onwards

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Well ECM has something for everyone and the SE would be happy with anything like this I'm sure.

ECH1-216.GIF?14-0

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

We all know about ECM and its easterlies! Caution advised!

This! And -5 uppers isn't that good, -10 gives a more accurate telling for snowfall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

ECM 168, much better than the 00z. Just need to "split the kipper" lol. With a lightly less deep "slider low" at 144, but still digging South East allowing the easterly flow to kick in.

Recm1681.gif

Posted

Quick technical question or two: anyone else not getting the GFS 850hPA's on here? And I take it the wetterzentrale source that is still showing tabs for both GFS and GFS Para, the Para is the new op?

Also where are folks sourcing their UKMO? Wetter and Meteociel don't seem to be playing ball?

Right, that aside these look great runs again. I love the way the ECM evolves. There is bound to be some dicing but I'd much rather have this situation with snowfall in places than not gamble and have a bone dry easterly or, indeed, westerly muck.

Oh, and Steve, well done for saying 'BOOM.' I was wondering who would be first to dare after the thread opener about it :D

Edited by West is Best
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

Belting E,ly at +192 from the ECM.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2015011412/ECM1-192.GIF?14-0

I see some are focussed on where it might snow. Honestly do not waste your time at the moment. In all my years of following the weather I don't recall one time when a slider LP has bought snowfall to my location. Just watch how nearer the time the slider will be modelled to be further W.

My thoughts exactly, i think the rounder low is the problem at 144 but the result is the same with that raging eastelry in coming would feel pretty raw by 192 looking at that!! Westward corrections will come over the next few days and the low will be less deep and more sqaushed looking compared to tonights ecm :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

This! And -5 uppers isn't that good, -10 gives a more accurate telling for snowfall

In an Easterly? Even a NW only needs -6, -7 for snow to low levels. With a continental flow, where the continent has entrenched cold, you can 850's of -1, -2 and get snow.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

In an Easterly? Even a NW only needs -6, -7 for snow to low levels. With a continental flow, where the continent has entrenched cold, you can 850's of -1, -2 and get snow.

I can't remember that many convective snow showers from uppers of -2, many great falls have been between -8 and -10. Unless you want a sleety north sea mix ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

It's the 120-144h transition, the slider low looks likely to elongate but it barrels through intact to sit over France/Iberia, creating an inevitable easterly. I tend to think that, as per other models, that low will elongate and disrupt more creating further sliders but the quick easterly is plausible. It'll be interesting to see what the ECM ensembles show.

• Like 2

Posted

ECM @ T216 would give snow across the midlands

ECM1-216.GIF?14-0

-8C  850's Nationwide, even -10 in some places

ECM0-216.GIF?14-0

• Like 2

Posted

We all know about ECM and its easterlies! Caution advised!

I'm already thinking about a possible Northerly after the possible Easterly which is a pretty common synoptic pattern. :D

post-2839-0-44843700-1421261631_thumb.gi

• Like 1

Posted

There are two choices here. If you're going to get the blown up low like the ECM then you don't want it to head south too far west, this will drive too much milder air into mainland Europe.

If its a shallow feature that moves se then that's less of a concern, so I'm afraid its a case of perhaps suffering a short less cold interlude before the low has tracked into the Continent.

Preferably I'd prefer to see the shallower feature because theres always that concern that the ECM low might fill and becoming slow moving too close to the UK.

• Like 3

Posted

I can't remember that many convective snow showers from uppers of -2, many great falls have been between -8 and -10. Unless you want a sleety north sea mix ;)

Ah right fair enough. Convective snow showers helped with very cold 850's certainly but in a strong flow like ECM there would likely be embedded troughs within anyway.

That and the 850's are pretty cold as well.

ECH0-216.GIF?14-0

All pie in the sky though for now.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

But Steve how many times has this been shown on the models in previous spells, it very rarely happens. At most it moves off to the east, or fills in situ. I just don't see that happening tbh. Look what happened last time! Low pressure forecasted to dive into france, instead it moved to the east and it rained

Yes, but previous form isn't a precursor of future form..... look at 2009. 35 Cm of snow in Bexley from the easterly...

ECM 240 is out. Still bitterly cold but the cold starting to break up at that point- lucky its 10 days!

S

• Like 9

Posted

GFS - Easterly bias.

UKMO - Further West than GFS

ECM - Further west than GFS and UKMO

I'd say given the above, the trend is definitely for the low to be further West than the GFS currently projects.

That's the trouble with the UK and cold low pressure, we don't want it too far west or too far east, we need it to be JUST RIGHT! Its painful to watch - is that what keeps us coming back for more??

Cold looking good from D2-D5. That's a good start at least. Such a turnaround from 5 days ago on the op runs.

• Like 2

Posted

I personally think the ecm is a snowfest for midlands north!! The -4 line hovers around the area for 48 hours so i assume a band of snow would lie across central england until the colder air sweeps south a day later! !

• Like 1

Posted

So, genuine Q here -

Does the possible slider low scenarios that were shown for the v early part of next week now look somewhat off, so to speak, because the system diving south on Wednesday is now too far West for us in the South?

Posted

Presumably no-one else can get the GFS 850hPA on here? Paul if you're around, any thoughts why that is? And also if anyone knows which of the wetter tabs (GFS and PARA) is actually the new operational Para I'd much appreciate it. Course, if you're too busy wondering if it's going to snow in Little Missenden next week then I quite understand.

Edited by West is Best

Posted

Presumably no-one else can get the GFS 850hPA on here? Paul if you're around, any thoughts why that is? And also if anyone knows which of the wetter tabs (GFS and PARA) is actually the new operational Para I'd much appreciate it. Course, if you're too busy wondering if it's going to snow in Little Missenden next week then I quite understand.

Richard, I think it's

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rgfs1442.gif etc

Posted

GFS - Easterly bias.

UKMO - Further West than GFS

ECM - Further west than GFS and UKMO

I'd say given the above, the trend is definitely for the low to be further West than the GFS currently projects. 

You can't compare the 2 runs though because they are different in how they are dealing with the slider, the GFS looks quite risky too me whilst the ECM is the more 'safe' option. 

I have not seen any trends of a west based NAO either and positioning on any potential slider low will be open to quite a bit of doubt but this is part of the drama of model watching because no 2 runs will be exactly the same. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Same here on the 850s :closedeyes: