Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 14th Jan 12z Onwards

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

But Nick, the ECM is not on it's own here. The GFS backs it up. Compare the ECM and GFS at 240hrs. There is a reason why people are banging on about the JMA tonight. It's because the other models have backed off on the longevity of the cold .

Fair enough the charts are quite similar but T240 is absolutely light years away when there's so much uncertainty at reliable timeframes. It's quite possible they both have it wrong at that distance out, it wouldn't be the first time....

• Like 1

Posted

Tbh i think its just what the 12z have picked up on today on gfs-ecm.To ignore it would be silly"not that anything will varify up to 96 hrs"but its there.Looking at the nhp before today any solid lasting easterly was a long shot imo.Cold snap is on its way but looking at the overall pic looks a long shot to get a lasting easterly in towards the uk.Hopefully later tonight 47-62 synoptics will be on offer :)

Your last point hits the nail on the head, this place would be full of cold rampers then, who would no doubt be as overly optimistic as those currently seeing a breakdown are too pessimistic!

The timeframes for the breakdown are ages away, there is a reason most forecasters won't go beyond five days; it's fraught with difficulty.

Edited to remove dratted autocorrect: can't see many "cold rappers" being on here later :)

Edited by Long haul to mild
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

TBH, Model Output Discussion needs leaving as is. Since when has it been an elitist forum?

The 12z GEM not showing starting to return to mild untill well into FI, T234 H. Bound to change.

post-19256-0-23123000-1421351246_thumb.p

Edited by Carlrg
  • Like 2

Posted

But Nick, the ECM is not on it's own here. The GFS backs it up. Compare the ECM and GFS at 240hrs. There is a reason why people are banging on about the JMA tonight. It's because the other models have backed off on the longevity of the cold .

If its a new solid trend then we'll see the same outputs replicated over the next few days,however even the ECM and GFS are cold upto day ten. The ECM is already trying to disrupt the troughing to the west at day ten as you can see a shortwave starting to develop at the base of that.

The ECM isn't even that bad later on , my suspicions re the ECM are just its complete departure from its earlier output upstream which clearly shows theres going to be more changes. 

• Like 4

Posted

Read the more detailed blog entry from Dr Ventrice.

http://www.wsi.com/blog/energy/new-gfs-operational-model-in-todays-12z-run-reverses-the-anticipated-pattern-over-the-n-atlantic/

In light of the 12Z ECM, his last paragraph may be more applicable.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

The issue is the NWP doesn't appear to be struggling tonight? From what I can see there appears reasonable cross model support that any E'ly will be a brief affair before the high topples to a mid lat position. Chances of reverting to something more sustained circa 10% IMO as I've rarely seen this happen once the models latch on to a toppling scenario. In fact 10% is being generous. Put it this way, I'd be stunned if we saw a reversal of the trend witnessed today.

The fact that not even Steve Murr can post the day 10 ECM chart with a positive is a true indictment of just how filth that scenario is.

Personally I disagree with that statement. If we get some consistency in the next 24/48 hours regarding this evolution then Id take note . Day 6 plus is when we get the topple, and although GFS and ECM agree on this i dont see UKMO going the same way to be honest, so as I said more consistent runs needed to firm up on things. 

Rukm1441.gif   

• Like 1

Posted

The FAX charts have been released out to Sunday afternoon. Plenty of occluded fronts and troughs crossing the country over the period which could bring showers or longer spells of rain, sleet and snow to many areas. I wouldn't rule out a dusting of snow anywhere over the weekend. Friday and Saturday look pretty cold, Sunday into Monday the cold will strengthen its grip as a weak northerly flow sinks across the UK. I would think many parts of the UK on Monday will struggle to get above freezing with a sharp or severe frost in places along with freezing fog. 

attachicon.gif15-24h.gifattachicon.gif15-48h.gifattachicon.gif15-72h.gif

Friday, Saturday and Sunday midday charts. Pretty representative with the 528 dam line clearing the whole of the UK and plenty of instability for showers to form in bands but also will pepper windward coasts.

This is all before the easterly as well.

I imagine that occlusion across the SE corner on Sunday could be of some interest to those of us still in the "two year wait"!

But yes, lots of little features likely to pop up for most of us in the next few days which may give some snow if marginality can be overcome.

• Like 2

Posted

With 80% of said energy going N. Useless.

Don't think I've ever seen a day 10 ecm verify. Without the ensembles the opp run isn't much use to anyone in isolation.

In addition GFS doesn't really have a proper control or ensemble suite at present as they are based on the old GFS version. It's therefore difficult to know what's going to happen longer term.

Wouldn't get too down hearted yet :-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Your last point hits the nail on the head, this place would be full of cold rappers then, who would no doubt be as overly optimistic as those currently seeing a breakdown are too pessimistic!

The timeframes for the breakdown are ages away, there is a reason most forecasters won't go beyond five days; it's fraught with difficulty.

Would that be "ICE-T" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Sorry.Yes i take your point but the 500mb charts ete are prob along with the fax the best guide imo

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The latest from Dr Cohen is that he links next week's cold to the minor SSW of a week or so ago. He believes that the trop will be favoured for a negative AO for Feb barring a low anomaly over the Barents-Kara area. Although Euro-asia is mostly to benefit from the warming other areas could get helpful blocking:

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation

• Like 5

Posted

Would that be "ICE-T" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Sorry.Yes i take your point but the 500mb charts ete are prob along with the fax the best guide imo

Haha yes, that was a great autocorrect lol!

Yes, I certainly think the fax charts could be like a box of delights over the next few days; troughs likely to pop up very quickly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

I hope this thread isn't going to descend into despondency or chaos because of the ECM.

You simply can't trust an operational output that goes from this on its 00hrs run:

T192hrs:

attachicon.gifECH1-192.gif

T168hrs on the 12hrs:

attachicon.gifECH1-168.gif

Although we don't have the 12hr steps theres a chasm between both runs, I think we best wait to see the ECM spreads and ensembles later on.

This is the point i was trying to get across earlier. We absolutely need to see some consistency between runs before we can be confident of any eventual outcome. Taking one run in isolation is a fools game, the longer term is a marathon away in this situation. Also the shorter term is uncertain with regards to sliders and the depth of the "driver low" potentially ushering an easterly. So as i said earlier, consistency in the mid term will be needed to have any confidence in the NWP at that range.   

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening Folks. Great Winter weather on the way. As I said last night something reminiscent of late December 2010 esque, from the charts today. Please folks don't get hung up about where or when it will snow and Im not gonna keep posting those words.! As somebody said today its an evolving situation , anyway Ecm  and gfs at unreliable timeframe @t+144  show stonking cold and potential snow, but as in most cases this will go down to the wire.......

post-6830-0-74895000-1421352061_thumb.gi

post-6830-0-24926700-1421352243_thumb.gi

post-6830-0-03404200-1421352294_thumb.jp

post-6830-0-88528200-1421352374_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-33836900-1421352430_thumb.pn

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

< ....underpins both the weak height anomaly modelled to our N/NE around day 6 and then Phase 8/1 GWO orbit favours assisting the Atlantic pattern to provide amplification and trough disruption thereafter which *should* prevent the pattern flattening. This retrogression phase of the Pacific pattern and the slowing of westerly wind momentum occurring close together add up to reduced and buckled jet flows in our sector and so are supportive of the increasingly colder and more wintry outlook.

On this basis, the Azores High *should* not be too much of a spoiler as it is withdrawn further west into the Atlantic - with troughing sliding SE just ahead and against its more amplified shape and engaging resident cold air.

Much will depend on how bellweather a height anomaly to the N and NE we can secure

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר, 13 January 2015 - 17:58 .

That 'bellweather' word copied and pasted - tut!   :wink:

So, the stage is set for the first proper widespread cold spell of the winter. I'm not here though to post on individual model outputs and associated snow potential from this weekend and of course through next week :)  

As interesting and full of anticipatory hope as it is for many of us, I will wait for a closer now-cast, as there are a myriad of possibilities on a UK micro regional basis that won't be answered within the chaotic nature of the upcoming trough disruption until we get into the focus of the short term high resolution modelling circa 24/36 hrs. Also besides, there are already plenty of good people doing that anyway with interesting analysis without me adding any further purpose and useful insight to it :)

Asian M/T set to provide some further very important tropospheric/stratospheric interest in the next 10 days - and this aligns with further significant atmospheric signals that will determine whether our much more benign Atlantic jet patterns sustain an amplified profile, or attempt to flatten out. The second scenario however, I do think, has to be seen within the context of the polar field becoming finally more and more amenable to taking up that sustained -AO profile we have been waiting for. It seems a long time within the context of expectations since the start of winter - at least if we exclude the METO in this respect

Beyond further beneficial vortex attack, the net result of the +MT is also going to be to see the atmosphere respond by removing westerly energy transport and drop angular momentum once again. But, contrary to fears of further Nina-esque pattern spoiling leading on here, this is where it might get interesting and may not necessarily follow the late December route of flattening the pattern out sustainably and leading us back to prolonged westerlies.

Slow indicated progression of the GWO through phases 1/2 corresponds to a weak and amplified polar Jetstream in the Atlantic. It also supports therefore the cold pattern holding through next week at least.

Further progression forecast into Phase 3, should it verify under tanking -ve momentum, does trigger a signal to flatten the pattern from upstream, adding energy back to the Jetstream and therefore not hard to see why some modelling might be anticipating this as we approach the day 10 period and beyond.

Other than the obvious point that we are at the start of a long anticipated cold spell and there is no point in dwelling in breakdowns (!) :D  the polar field is changing beyond the likes of late December to an increasingly sanguine one (underpinned by +MT)  and is also supported by increasingly shortening wavelengths as we hit the second half of winter. These seasonal and trop/strat induced factors have different possible implications to further negative AAM tendency than we saw back then which led us to zonal yuksville through this first half of January.

There is the alluring and credible suggestion that GWO Phases 1 and 2 might form an allegiance state for recurring Atlantic amplification and trough disruption beyond the coming week. In tandem with further vortex disturbance this actually supports the idea of renewed retrogression of high amplitude ridging occuring even if the Atlantic High eventually collapses on the back of an easterly next week - that follows the upcoming wintry speckled trough disruption phase.

Eyes on the stratosphere, the polar vortex.....and importantly also the GWO and where it goes after what looks a supportive protracted 1/2 phase. The further we head towards and into February under this Phase state, the more likely it becomes to lock us into repeated Atlantic amplification and trough disruption.

This, instead of any flattening of the pattern leading us back to prolonged westerlies.

Too soon to be sure yet, but I suspect if this happens at all, it will be a transitory phase leading back to renewed amplification in the Atlantic and cold returning from the north.

The worm, I cautiously think, has turned.

But lots to look out for and enjoy for some time to come anyway

As ever lovely expalanation but we still await, C'mon Tamara order the synotpics to do as they are told!!

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Still chasing the cold and much vaunted cold synoptics?  As ever lovely expalanation but we still await

BFTP

What are you on about? Please go to the model thread moan,,, :closedeyes:  :closedeyes:  :closedeyes:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looking at the ECM clusters at D5 they are showing more confidence than this morning, clusters reduced from 6 to 3, so uncertainty has reduced considerably (sadly). The op is aligned to the control with 31 member support so it looks like up to D5 good confidence especially as it is D6 when the Atlantic ridge busts the trough. Cluster 2 has the LP system more blown up and further west so I am not buying that and cluster 3 looks nuts. So all in all it does look like an eureka moment from the ECM ensembles and a flip to a more progressive collapse of the trough. The mean supports that:

post-14819-0-58311700-1421353759_thumb.g 

Clusters: http://old.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!120!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2015011512!!/

Edited by i'm dreaming of...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Think the FI postage stamps for the 12z GFS show that anything can happen with this cold spell later next week? Could go mild, could stay cold, why worry when they dont know?

post-4955-0-36113300-1421353813_thumb.gi

• Like 6