Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 14th Jan 12z Onwards

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Cross polar flow....now where have i seen one of those charts......let me see....yes i remember

The starting point had s westerlies and a hideous PV too

I'm glad you mentioned that as I was going to ask if any other years had similar NH profiles to the ones being shown. Been lurking for a good few years and seen omega blocks come and go. But with the Azores on its hols on the eastern seaboard and the vortex taking a vacation over Siberia I can say I've never seen this set up before.

If anyone can recall similar set ups in previous years other than '47 it would be nice to compare.

• Like 3

Posted

The models are looking great for cold. But we've been burnt so many times before. However, the fact that the BBC are making noises suggests thst the MET have some confidence. Hmmmmm!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Someone mentioned this the other day, sorry can't remember who, but it is so much nicer to have a reasonable cold spell modelled in a nearer time-frame and get upgrades than an eye popping cold spell in FI and get downgrades. (which, let's face it, is the usual)

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Will it snow in Brighton?

BFTP

h850t850eu.png

Yes....it might.....Just been up the attic....brought the sledge down.  :yahoo:

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 5

Posted

I cant help but think it wouldnt take much of a change to see the high pressure nudged further south leaving us dry & cold with little else by 168. Something that often happens to be the case. Large pinch of salt for any charts past +72/96 for me at the minute

• Like 5

Looks promising but Scandi and North Russian temps need to cool down, though Weatheronline has them cooling to respectable levels by the 20th.

Try and get a bit of south in the easterly then Watford could in line for a Thames streamer :)

Posted

If the theme of the evening continues tomorrow, and no reason why not, expect BBC to put more yellow warnings for snow over the weekend tomorrow, unlike yesterday's snow, any snow from Friday onwards will stick and not thaw allowing lets hope many a snowman to be built.. perfect timing for children..

Lol! Children, I expect if it snows you'll be running outside and playing in the snow like most of the members in here. :D

A nice way to round off the evening with a wintry looking GFS run and the -10 850 making it to the UK which is always nice to see.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Oh my, what have I come into here!! nearly 1,000 people reading this thread haha!

Very good runs from the models tonight, and -10c 850s I see, must be a sign of something, and cross model ageement??

Cold spell approaching? Maybe. :p

Edited by Chris D

Posted

If the theme of the evening continues tomorrow, and no reason why not, expect BBC to put more yellow warnings for snow over the weekend tomorrow, unlike yesterday's snow, any snow from Friday onwards will stick and not thaw allowing lets hope many a snowman to be built.. perfect timing for children..

But the snow did stick though in some areas especially in Ireland/Northern Ireland and SW Scotland, the difference will be any snow that does lie is likely to stick around for a little while with cold day time maximums and potentially some very cold night time minimums especially when we get into the messy slack flow the models are indicating. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Just a word of caution. GFS 18z ensembles suggest this isn't a done deal yet with all too many members wanting to push energy NW instead of SE. Hope this is just a blip in this run and they come totally on board through tomorrow,

gensnh-11-1-120.png

We would still get some cold and an Earlier Easterly but it would be limited because of the jet running over the top causing the high to sink.

gensnh-11-1-138.png

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

I'm glad you mentioned that as I was going to ask if any other years had similar NH profiles to the ones being shown. Been lurking for a good few years and seen omega blocks come and go. But with the Azores on its hols on the eastern seaboard and the vortex taking a vacation over Siberia I can say I've never seen this set up before.

If anyone can recall similar set ups in previous years other than '47 it would be nice to compare.

Can't post charts now but 24th Jan 1963 has a version.What is more remarkable is the identical cut off low heights to our s/e that we are forecast and that were present in 47,63 and 87 all severe winter periods.Look on meteoceil on archives.Its uncanny.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Something most people haven't realised is the models tend to overdo the uppers, on many occasions deep 850's such as these have been pushed further away from our shores back across europe nearer the time. Sometimes we've expected -10 and got -4 instead :p

Posted

Just a word of caution. GFS 18z ensembles suggest this isn't a done deal yet with all too many members wanting to push energy NW instead of SE. Hope this is just a blip in this run and they come totally on board through tomorrow,

gensnh-11-1-120.png

same was said yesterday mucka but the operational has stuck to it!! In any case you would follow the operational in the high resolution time frame anyway!! Not saying its right but its probably got a better grip of the pattern going forward!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

All this will it snow imby nonsense, if it snows only north of the M4, guess what! I'll be getting in my car and driving there!

The best model watching I can remember for a long while. For any newbies, my advice would be to ignore the detail of where will it snow and at what time, take time to read the more experienced members posts, sit back and enjoy! Somewhere in the UK will hit the jackpot!

• Like 6

Posted

And to think we're now entering "the heart of the Winter".......

I reckon there's a couple of prominent NW stalwarts allowing themselves a cheeky smile to themselves.

• Like 9

Posted

same was said yesterday mucka but the operational has stuck to it!! In any case you would follow the operational in the high resolution time frame anyway!! Not saying its right but its probably got a better grip of the pattern going forward!!

Yes that and the cross model support increases confidence.

Just saying...  :diablo:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

And to think we're now entering "the heart of the Winter".......

I reckon there's a couple of prominent NW stalwarts allowing themselves a cheeky smile to themselves.

Well not quite but plenty of winter left so happy days

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted

Also, the GEFS are based on the old GFS model. IDO commented last night that the GEFS are not being upgraded until Q3. In essence the GEFS and GFS opp are basically completely different models now.

All of that said, as a set they look pretty good to me so far.

At this juncture, cold is nailed on... Severe cold and heavy snow though is far from certain yet.

• Like 4