Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 14th Jan 12z Onwards

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Anybody have a link to the UKMO 850hpa temps, it seems there not available on Meteoceil or aren't they available any where...... full stop ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Repeat after me...

B7VoPH3CUAAwktg.png

Boom.

SK

Would be happy for that as it keeps us cold in all probability till 26th and therefore keeps the cold spell and snow chances going forward.All way in FI though which I appreciate. I know ECM looks poor for M4 corridor Southwards initially but wouldn't take much tweaking for whole of UK to see snow in next 7 days. Lets be Positive and see what happens. Christ we have been waiting nearly 2 years for a cold spell after all!!

• Like 3

Fantastic ECM 12z ensemble mean tonight for all the coldies, it's trending progressively colder with an increasing risk of snow and severe frosts, it's every bit as good as the 0z and last night's 12z, perhaps even better..turning much colder and more wintry from the weekend onwards..reasons to be cheerful, many :-)

Yes ECM 12Z Mean at T+144 hrs shows a shallower low like I mentioned earlier and further east over England keeping all but Cornwall/Devon as is to be expected in cold enough air for snowfall, nearer to GFS 12Z at that timeframe than ECM 12Z OP was.

Edited by Eugene
  • Like 1

Every reason to think that many locations north, south, east and west will see snowfall and lying snow 

next week, exactly where and how much is obviously a big unknown at this stage but the threat is 

most definitely there.

The runs to me anyway look to firming up on a notable wintry spell of weather to come both in terms

of cold and snow. Fingers crossed for real winter weather fans.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I see Steve has already posted on ECM ensemble mean charts. they do suggest the op deepens the low and mixes out the cold from the SW too much.

The op has the low 980 pressure whereas the mean is 1000 suggesting most runs have a much less developed low sliding.

ECH1-144.GIF?14-0EDH1-144.GIF?14-0

We can see the same with the 850's where the op is on the mild side.

ECM0-144.GIF?14-0EDM0-144.GIF?14-0

As for the usual nonsense of people dictating what should and should not be discussed, all MO is up for discussion in here surely?

How the pattern progresses and how it may be sustained or breakdown is not "hunting for a breakdown", it is just discussing the possible developments of FI as we always do.

It would be different if mildies were purposely trolling but let's please not have witch hunts everytime someone discusses FI just because there is a cold spell.

Just enjoy it and the post the charts and discuss what you want to discuss. 

Differing opinions are fine but that is different to wanting to dictate what people should and should not post within the MO thread.

Let the mods do their job.

That is the first and last thing I will say about, I promise.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 4

Posted

I wont be getting cold and snow in the next 48 hours, far from it in fact, wet and windy sums up the next 48 hours here. 

I don't understand why I should be getting excited about what someone else 300 miles away is going to experience, to be honest I couldn't give a monkeys what someone high up on a hill in Yorkshire is going to get, good on them if they have some snow but it's not what i'l be experiencing here is it. ?

Perhaps the regional thread could be a good place to give an IMBY POV on the models?

Do have to say, I think you read far too muc into the ECM, in the later parts of the runs, the 00Z run was showing more of a NW'ly and on the 12Z and its NE'ly! And that what members have to bear in mind regarding any easterly potential, the hints are getting stronger but its by no means a foregone conclusion despite some posts suggesting otherwise. 

What does look more likely is we will see some cold weather and a brief Northerly which turns into a slack flabby area of low pressure which may in places produce some snow if there is a trough/front mixed in with the slack area of low pressure, if not then I expect frost and freezing fog to be more of a widespread story with any showers reserved for coastal areas exposed to the wind. However pin pointing any sort of detail like that is impossible. What happens after that is uncertain so I think barring any detail changes the outlook to Sunday looks fairly clear cut. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Another trend the models are showing  is that the Vortex is steadily moving over to Siberia which didn't happen at all last winter if memory serves me right and was a significant reason why the States and Canada had a severe Jan & Feb . Having that go for us along with all the other factors like AH staying out West, Lower heights in Central Europe etc certainly enhances the UK's chances of one getting this cold spell and then keeping it for maybe 10 days+.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm sunny days, tons of snow!

Every reason to think that many locations north, south, east and west will see snowfall and lying snow 

next week, exactly where and how much is obviously a big unknown at this stage but the threat is 

most definitely there.

The runs to me anyway look to firming up on a notable wintry spell of weather to come both in terms

of cold and snow. Fingers crossed for real winter weather fans.

I'm glad, its always a good sign when that happens :good:  :p

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Sorry not really model related but Helen on the BBC weather broadcast has just said we could be heading for the coldest spell of weather for over 2 years :)

Which of course isnt really saying very much bearing in mind last winter and the first 6 weeks of this...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

attachicon.gifEDH1-240.gif

wonder where that NH profile is headed ..........................

wonder if the extended will continue that evolution ?  it hinted at similar a few runs ago. too crazy to contemplate

Cross polar flow....now where have i seen one of those charts......let me see....yes i remember

archivesnh-1947-2-2-0-0.png

The starting point had s westerlies and a hideous PV too

archivesnh-1947-1-14-0-0.png

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 5

Posted

Sat looking like snow showers possible anywhere in the morning

• Like 1

A little snippet of what I look at in terms of seeing the early trends in the model run.

The location of the slider low is highly correlated to the angle of CAA coming off the states around T60.

Whatever model viewer you are using to view scroll from 1 image of the 18z ( say T60) then slide across to the T66 which is the 12z-

This is of course the same timeframe.

post-1235-0-97794100-1421272558_thumb.pn

Ive annotated where to look & compare with the 12z.

At t60 the alignment of the CAA is more pronounced to the South V the 12z, so the expectation on 18z trending is that it will slide further west.

best regards

steve

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Good Evening one and all,

This is one of my first postings on this thread as I feel rather reluctant to do so as I am far less experienced of analysis weather synopsis as many others on here and am fearful of making a fool of myself. I do

Good post sir, you should post more often.

Anyway, it's the new GFS debut pub run and there's 813 people reading the thread.....what can go wrong!!!

Out to 84 and some small changes, but all looking OK to my untrained eye, things a bit further west maybe?

gfsnh-0-84.png?18

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 1

Posted

Another trend the models are showing  is that the Vortex is steadily moving over to Siberia which didn't happen at all last winter if memory serves me right and was a significant reason why the States and Canada had a severe Jan & Feb . Having that go for us along with all the other factors like AH staying out West, Lower heights in Central Europe etc certainly enhances the UK's chances of one getting this cold spell and then keeping it for maybe 10 days+.

It's a different year. I bet the low temps in the states will be making news in 10/14 days time. Could be one of those times when the troughs sit in in Europe and the states at the same time.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Is it me or is everything further west on the gfs 18z at just 84 hours!

No, it is more in line with other output. The 12z was too far East and too flat I reckon given all the other output.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Is it me or is everything further west on the gfs 18z at just 84 hours!

Northerly for Sunday looks cleaner, so better sign already, cold, dry, ready for the low mon/tues

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Heights are much stronger north which will push everything further south..

18z gfsnh-0-102.png?18 vs  12zgfsnh-0-108.png?12

• Like 1