Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 14th Jan 12z Onwards

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The control for the slider stalls the front in the west, probably the most likely scenario, with the main snow north of the M4 in a narrow band:

post-14819-0-76136500-1421342054_thumb.p

That area could see 24 hours of snow if that verified. Again one of several options going forward.

• Like 4

Posted

Sorry BA was referring to the 06z ensemble cluster that had the fast track easterly rather than the op's slower progression. GEM looks like it is also seeing the faster evolution:

T138: attachicon.gifgem-0-138 (1).png

Cluster? That's different then !

Still probably progressive though a fat sausage MLB quite feasible for a few days and depending where it sits, could be frigid uppers or fairly benign.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Given the variety of solutions on offer in GFS ensembles in relatively short time-frame I think it will be a while before this slider is modelled consistently and until then FI is probably T96/120

gensnh-22-1-132.png

Also we will be relying on MLB as there is no HLB on offer so the placement, orientation and latitude are key from the mid term, none of which have been resolved.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted

I wonder if the GFS is up to its old tricks as this is a very progressive suite with the control sinking the high at D8: 

post-14819-0-80421100-1421342547_thumb.p

The GEFS at D8 certainly not very promising: post-14819-0-53882500-1421342632_thumb.p

See what direction ECM moves?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

A few posts have been removed- one off topic and the replies to it.

Please think before you post in here and make sure you are on topic- especially so now we are very busy.

Any problems with a post please report it and leave it for the team to deal with as replying just adds to off topic content

Thanks everyone.

Hands up!! Very sorry. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS short ensembles Central England. (Obviously some data corruption regarding the Op plot)

graphe3_1000_258_92___.gifgraphe6_1000_258_92___.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

The key difference with 12z GFS versus it's preceding run is the modelling of a closed circulation and moreover, running this further south. Despite the initial awkward and finely balanced forecast rain-sleet-snow phase in much of south, this current prognosis would then readily entrain colder boundary layer around N-NW flank and - depending on how this phases with occlusion remnants/forcing/WBFL - would readily give snow for a while as the centre moves S. However, it duplicates various earlier ENS members so albeit a plausible outcome, remains but one of many - some more nuanced than others.

Having looked at the shape of the low on the 12z and 6z and being in North west Wales on low ground how would the precipitation fall as?? Or how do the met currently see things paning out for midlands and Wales in all??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

GFS short ensembles Central England. (Obviously some data corruption regarding the Op plot)

graphe3_1000_258_92___.gifgraphe6_1000_258_92___.gif

Very good agreement there, only three members ever go above 5 degrees and only very slightly then. Ice days and snow definitely on the cards next week, but the details of where and when the snow will be will keep changing from run to run so hang on in there everyone!

Posted

We are always told get the cold in and snow opportunities will emerge.

It is clearly going to get colder- not exceptional cold- but just after Xmas wasn't exceptional cold and delivered a good fall of snow for a strip of the country.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Yes I'm well aware of that, which is why I said it, it was in reply to someone saying the further into winter the harder it is to get convection off the North Sea, I was merely saying that it shouldn't be hard as the sea temps are high.

oops sorry didn't see the other post.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

How much do I hate these 4 little words when you keep hearing probably rain....

" South of the M4"

But to be fair I'm no expert but the charts look like we will all get snow at some point during the next few days. â„â„â„â„â„â„â„

yes  very good looking potential for next week ,Fantastic charts and many posters in with a good chance of snow ,i must admit ,[south of the m4 ]is fast becoming a very annoying saying to me ,from my IMBY perspective ,tonights charts eagerly awaited ,perhaps met office could include the m4 corridor on their charts ,catch up later all . :cold:

• Like 6

Posted

Another observation on GFS ensembles but a positive one.

We know the cold spell is relying on MLB and to get sustained cold past 6-8 days without any HLB forming requires quite a convoluted set of twists and turns all in our favour.

This is why generally we see breakdown being modelled as well as the models natural trend toward a more mobile pattern.

But what strikes me as I run through GFS ensembles even where the breakdown is modelled quite quickly(relatively,s till a good cold spell)  is that the Azores High generally remains displaced and further cold shots look inevitable.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an even stronger cold spell being modelled early February.

Please don't take this post as searching for a breakdown etc, that is nonsense. It is just a look ahead to the longer term trends and if you aren't interested fine, jog on baby.

Full ensembles GFS Central England

graphe3_1000_252_91___.gifgraphe6_1000_252_91___.gif

Any warm up looks very stilted and perhaps temporary on those does it not?

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Good afternoon all. Just looked at the 12z GFS and wow there's some snow potential there. Crikey.

As ever, and in homage to an old old poster on here Stratos Ferric: the devil will be in the detail, but how's this for a pretty picture?

Further ahead, I do confess to finding it bemusing, as indeed before Christmas (when I lost my rag about this), that there are some who spend their time in the far realms of FI having already wished away the next week of cold and who have, apparently, decided the game is up because a chart on a run at T240, or whatever, says so. Reliable timeframe always used to be considered out to T168. Well the chart at T168 looks none too shabby to me:

Good afternoon all. Just looked at the 12z GFS and wow there's some snow potential there. Crikey.

As ever, and in homage to an old old poster on here Stratos Ferric: the devil will be in the detail, but how's this for a pretty picture?

Further ahead, I do confess to finding it bemusing, as indeed before Christmas (when I lost my rag about this), that there are some who spend their time in the far realms of FI having already wished away the next week of cold and who have, apparently, decided the game is up because a chart on a run at T240, or whatever, says so. Reliable timeframe always used to be considered out to T168. Well the chart at T168 looks none too shabby to me:

Hi West,

What time frame is the snow projection chart you posted?I'm on my phone and its not clear.Also is that the disturbance that has moved down the country?

Cheers

Jason

Edited by winterof79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Definate upgrade for SE, from Sunday onwards we are looking like a bit could hit kent.

• Like 1

Posted

The clusters at T156 show there remains a split as to the GEFS whether they go the fast track to the easterly or continue with the Euro trough:

post-14819-0-99750500-1421344811_thumb.p

So difficult to glean much from this run as it cannot go both ways. More runs to see if the trend continues.

• Like 2

Posted

The games begin on Saturday

45-779UK.GIF?15-1248-779UK.GIF?15-1251-779UK.GIF?15-1254-779UK.GIF?15-12

Snow for the north and south if the GFS is correct.

This chart for me sums up why we shouldn't look too far ahead in regards to snow and where it is forecast. A day or so ago the wind wasn't as 'Northwesterly' so the Cheshire Gap posse had no snow forecast (Trust me, I have been watching these charts! :p ) and now a slight change in wind direction has caused hours of potential showers coming down the gap..... in less than 48 hours away.

Hold on to your hats people, it's nearly play time. 

• Like 4

Posted

Tut tut mods feel free to remove I do not post on here much prefering to sit on the fence and watch from behind the scenes and leave it to the most experienced on here,i do feel that the mod thread is fast becoming the south thread,when a person from the north west comes in and gets slated for commenting the north west is gping to have loads of snow,i do feel the mods need to get a hand on this it is very much becoming imby yet again.Thanks

I think what it is, is that when people post PPN charts and say things like 'UK snowfest', it can get a bit irritating (speaking for most of us SW'ers at least) when we don't actually have any sign of snow, and will be all rain for us... Some people appear to forget about the SW.

The problem becomes when people post charts with a similar theme to 'snowfest' above, and it's a pressure chart, not a PPN one. This can lead to less experienced members getting mislead believing we're having countrywide snow, if they can't read charts well, when in reality... It isn't countrywide!

• Like 3