Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 14th Jan 12z Onwards

reef

Where is that stunning easterly gone i knew this was not a done deal. And still further upgrade and downgrades to come and as for snow not looking as good as warm sectors look to be mixed in so its hit and miss to who gets snow and who gets rain. But looking further ahead into late jan, feb the pv looks on its legs just needs a knockout blow and a bit of luck for us to be on the right side of it.

Models will chop and change on each run, the pattern is still there, it's still going to be bitterly cold next week and beyond, with no real way for any milder weather to come back in.

I feel some level heads are needed this morning, and there is really no point in pinpointing where it will snow and when until really, Sunday night?

Just take note of Fergie's post, no point in looking at too much detail yet.

• Like 2

Posted

If the southern half of the uk is on the wrong side of the slider,there still looks like 2 or 3 days of some good fetched easterlys with -8 uppers to follow,with the flow starting to the north or the uk taking a little while to sink.

Posted

Boxing day style a big possibility then? I'll settle for that, although northern areas did better

Boxing Day was rubbish. Not even 1cm here. Hoping for better this time.

well, old GFS 18z looks stunning out to t240, -12 850s a plenty, one things for sure for every one its going to bitterly cold in that flow.

Unless I'm mistaken it's not now the "old" GFS. The GFS is now the 'new' one, ie what was the Parallel.
  • Like 1

I don't know why there is doom and gloom, the 00z output is a snow making machine next week with cold air becoming entrenched and lows slipping and sliding SE into the cold pool with substantial snow in places, lots of ice and sharp / severe frosts..I despair at some of the comments on here.

I think the snowfall of 2010 has done the damage to some people...

ECM is also worth a shout - heights around Scandi at the end of the run and the UK in a slack NE feed, keeping the cold weather with us for longer.

One thing is for sure Frosty, it's going to be very cold next week, when & where snow fall will end up is anyone's guess at the moment.

ecm500.240.png

ecmt850.240.png

• Like 2

Posted

18z running now, so good time to ask for some help.

It's going to be very busy in here tonight and for the next week or so at least by the looks of it, and at these times this thread can be fun, informative and absolutely buzzing. It can also be frustrating - particularly when people don't keep their posts on topic. 

So please, if you're not discussing the models, make your post elsewhere - the model banter/moans and ramps thread is an active thread for random semi-model related stuff and reactions to the output:

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81281-model-banter-moans-and-ramps-autumnwinter-201415/

The regional threads will also be very busy with local chat, info on any snow and so on:

https://forum.netweather.tv/forum/142-regional-discussions/

And with the strong winds during the next 24 hours or so, the severe weather area is the spot for discussing the impacts of that.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82219-atlantic-storm-14th-15th-january/

Taking just a few seconds to consider where your post fits best will really help keep this thread running smoothly.

Thanks

Paul

Just repeating this - please take a moment to consider what you're posting and whether it is model discussion.

• Like 8

Posted

Reasonable agreement in assessment of 00z UKMO and other output for the scope of Mon-Tues evolution but still only broad-brush detail possible. Without describing all the rationale and diagnostics, we expect essentially a risk of (perhaps significant) snow Wales/Midlands northwards. Marked uncertainty how long the cold weather lasts before a return to around average temperatures.

Perhaps some southerners will be disappointed with this post, but no need ATM. If the trough sinks into Europe later next week and there is an easterly, the SE is in prime position to benefit from snow. The SW could do with another depression heading in from the Atlantic but sliding under the block with cold in situ a la April 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

Horrible downgrades this morning for Midlands south, hopefully the models don't water all this down to wet icy dross. It just shows that were far from certain to have a good cold spell, last nights easterly on the ECM has all but disapeared and the 850 uppers have retreated back east.

Lots of wintry weather for the North again but for us southerners, if it plays out this way then I for one will not be excited about rain interspersed with frosts and ice. Basically it will be like living in the Falklands which for who that have never been its the most depressing place on the planet, cold, wet and windy.

Fingers crossed for a few upgrades again but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

Posted

The GFS looks a mess to me, the -5 850 coming and going being mixed out, looks like a mixed bag of rain, sleet and snow as systems push down from NW.

• Like 1

Posted

Have to be honest Frosty that is not the outlook for everyone.

Personally I cannot be bothered to look at the detail with regards to the slider LPs and im more focussed on what occurs afterwards. What is fairly clear to me is the slider LP clears S of the UK bringing an E,ly flow, however it could take a while before the really cold upper temps spread from the E. The 18Z GFS was perfect because we did see -10C upper temps spread into the UK. However this is not guaranteed and it could be that we lose the E,ly flow before the really cold air has chance to back W.

So just to warn members this cold spell could turn out to be just a few days of marginal snowfall followed by an E,ly that isn't cold enough to bring convective snow showers which is when quickly replaced by a return  of W,lys. On a positive note it could also turn out to be far more prolonged and colder than currently indicated if we do see much colder, sustained E,lys. This is why I am more interested in the period after the slider LPs!

Think you have it bang on. As the METO have said, 3 maybe 5 days at max with return of the Atlantic. The North could do ok from this, but futher south looks like cold rain with any PPN.

Posted

Think you have it bang on. As the METO have said, 3 maybe 5 days at max with return of the Atlantic. The North could do ok from this, but futher south looks like cold rain with any PPN.

Have they said a 3 to 5 day spell? I can't see that from this:

'Dry, cold and clear for much of central Britain on Monday and Tuesday with showers affecting many coastal counties away from the south, readily falling as sleet and snow. There will be a widespread frost overnight and some localised patches of freezing fog which may be slow to clear through the day. Through the rest of next week, the general cold conditions will persist bringing an ongoing risk of snow, more especially in northern and eastern areas. Temperatures will be generally below average with overnight frosts, locally severe. Towards the end of the period there looks to be a possible return to more generally unsettled conditions with rain, strong winds and temperatures perhaps nearer to normal for the time of year.'

In addition, the ECM says yes to a 7+ day cold spell...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2401.gif

Even the GFS ensembles that I posted just now remain below average throughout...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

The overall trend into next week is a very interesting one IMO. Remember this time last week there was hardly a sniff of anything interesting in the models. The evolution with regards to the sliders and possible easterly flow thereafter will need plenty more runs to nail down any details. Any one writing off a return to westerlies or an easterly at this point is ahead of themselves, more runs needed. Exciting model watching period for me.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Horrible downgrades this morning for Midlands south, hopefully the models don't water all this down to wet icy dross. It just shows that were far from certain to have a good cold spell, last nights easterly on the ECM has all but disapeared and the 850 uppers have retreated back east.

Lots of wintry weather for the North again but for us southerners, if it plays out this way then I for one will not be excited about rain interspersed with frosts and ice. Basically it will be like living in the Falklands which for who that have never been its the most depressing place on the planet, cold, wet and windy.

Fingers crossed for a few upgrades again but I'm not holding my breath.

Twinned with West Lancashire I believe? As chio said after yourself Smiler its not only the south that suffers in marginal set ups,

I am hoping to see the slider low further west (but not too far) so the west can get in the action then the east can when the easterly sets in there after. 

Must admit though when you look at the ensembles we should be happy, not seen this for a couple of years, its going to turn cold  

post-4955-0-66818300-1421311703_thumb.pn

Edited by Nicholas B
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Well the output hasn't changed that much, and can swing back. Last night was about as good as it could get in the current setup and downgrades were much more likely than upgrades, which is good as it leaves room for improvement now. Personally I'd prefer upgrades to arrive later today/tomorrow. As long as the theme continues.

But just in case, think I'll book a meeting in the north Midlands somewhere with an overnight stay on Monday! :-)

I don't know why there is doom and gloom, the 00z output is a snow making machine next week with cold air becoming entrenched and lows slipping and sliding SE into the cold pool with substantial snow in places, lots of ice and sharp / severe frosts..I despair at some of the comments on here.

I think Fergie's post about snow Midlands north next week has dampened southerners spirits aswell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looking at the GFS snow accumulations, 8 day: post-14819-0-77180900-1421311322_thumb.p

Obviously caveats aside (one run, etc) but south of Oxfordshire just trace amounts of snow. The SW, south and eastern coast zero. The main snow looks for hills and mountains.

As for how long it will last, the GEFS suggests till around D8-9 and the ECM mean also now trending in that direction:

post-14819-0-82325300-1421311529_thumb.g

An easterly from a block to the east not looking likely. The ECM clusters at D5 have six clusters so to say that there is uncertainty is an understatement. ECM may be consistent but looking at its members the op is in cluster 2 (same as cluster 3, 10 members) now, so not even the main outcome. The GEM ensembles are also consistent for a trough but with variation within that theme.

All the ensembles are in agreement that no solution after Sunday is yet guaranteed within the cold upper flow and the sliding low scenario.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Well I kind of disagree with your broadbrush comments here Frosty. The 00Z does give us a cold pool to play with - and a significant amount of people will see snow. I won't look at the precipitation charts just yet - but the intriguing thing about this set up is that it will be characterized by marginality by those further south and even at lower elevations further north, so whereas there may be substantial snow in places, if I was living anywhere south of the M4, west facing coasts - or even some lower lying ground to the north I would be watching and waiting to see how this pans out. 

I think though we would all rather be in this situation than last years - at least it looks like we have a handful of lottery tickets to enter the lottery with, rather than none at all.

Hope the odds are better Chio :)

Edited by winterof79

Posted

Question for the more knowledgeable eg. Our resident easterly expert Dave (TEITS) or someone else with experience - although not guaranteed or easily predicted perhaps in such situations, but from experience is it more likely that the trough will sink into Europe next week and allow an easterly flow? Just trying to understand what would normally be expected to happen in this sort of scenario.

Cheers.