Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 14th Jan 12z Onwards

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I have heard that the GFS won't be ready till 5pm. Not sure if that is true though?

Posted

I have heard that the GFS won't be ready till 5pm. Not sure if that is true though?

I think it will be around 30 Mins later than the old op used to be.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Untrue. It's arriving on Wetterzentrale.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Good post from Mucka there :) Im glad everyone is seemingly confident, or as confident as we can be of a cold spell, seeing as its still just outside of the reliable i think? Good enough agreement in the models though and the earlier update from Ian F in the last thread helps a lot as its a bonus to have METO now coming onboard.

Edited by Winter Cold
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Updating on wetterzentral as we speak

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsgfseur.html

:)

EDIT

meteociel now updating as well

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.meteociel.fr%2Fmodeles%2Fgfse_cartes.php&act=url

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Regarding ecm data, find this link prety good

www.wunderground.com/wundermap

Click on data then settings, choose ecm then which ever chart you need, has snowfall option though doubt its accuracy

Sorry not hyperlink, on phone and cant work it out

Edited by Nick L
Hyperlink added :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Untrue. It's arriving on Wetterzentrale.

Well spotted, I've got it running on meteociel and that is some windstorm up North (945hpa give or take at t+18hrs). Whilst eyes are firmly on future developments, let us not forget the more immediate events and hope and trust that everybody stays safe in the affected region.  :help:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

It's such a similar set up to January 2013 it's uncanny and from what I can remember these types of synopsis have a starting point to Far East and then all of a sudden closer to the event you get westward corrections! Imby we did well the last time this happened! Anyone else think this is something that could happen again?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl

In defence of the mod thread,it never operates in the 'now ' it's always days ahead of current weather, the regionals will be where talk of the storm is likely to be,or the thread dedicated to storms.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I love the fact everybody is so fixated on cold weather, there isn't a single comment about the 75+mph storm going to hit tonight.

Well, I am, it looks bad.

See here, https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82281-model-output-discussion-14th-jan-12z-onwards/?p=3118171

Nothing wrong with focussing on all that is on offer in this wonderful British climate of ours, anyhow. I also noted that we do seem to forget what's happening under our very noses sometimes though. Anyway guys n gals, where are your updates, complete with beautiful charts and wondrous analysis.  :clapping:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 3

Posted

That feature still there on the GFS P, snow spreading se and better upstream at T96hrs. A good start so far, long may it continue!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Well I suppose the first area of interest as far as cold spell is concerned will the embedded trough in the NW flow. (Steve M talked about this I think a couple of times)

gfs-0-96.png?12

Could bring a band of sleet and snow South across the breadth of the country on Sunday.

Edit

Nick got there first.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted

It's not the P anymore Nick. Its the GFS.

Yes its weird getting used to that, its a shame they couldn't keep both going then we'd have more to talk about! lol

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

First slider snow possibilities

gfsnh-0-132.png?12gfs-2-132.png?12gfsnh-2-138.png?12

850's not that cold but surface temps very chilly.

gfs-9-126.png?12

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Snow for the SE on Saturday if GFS is correct

gfs-2-72.png?12

Maybe some more widespread snow Monday as a band of rain moves in from the west and hits the colder air

gfs-2-126.png?12

After a long wait the wait for a cold snowy spell could be over by early next week

• Like 9

Posted

I love the fact everybody is so fixated on cold weather, there isn't a single comment about the 75+mph storm going to hit tonight.

Well, I am, it looks bad.

Having taken the brunt of the storms last year, I'm not actually that worried. The winds speeds have downgraded somewhat for the coasts and is now not really much to speak about inland. The only place I'd be keeping a close eye on is Northern Ireland and the Western Isles. 90 mph gusts not far away, a little change in track there and I'd be worrying. But not here. 70mph won't disrupt much in the middle of the night. We were often above 80mph last year.