Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Software?

Posted

Hi again!

Iv'e got my Davis Vantage Vue set up and working great now (Thanks to the guys who helped on my last topic!).

I'm getting a bit frustrated now though! Iv'e used the weatherlink software that came with the station. It's great but the online content is a bit basic (No trends, graphs etc). It also doesn't allow uploads to WOW.

Iv'e setup a Wunderground account through the software which has all the info I want and a good interface but i really don't get on with it displaying wind in kph!! (I know I'm being fussy).  

So, I thought i'd try Cumulus instead as this software allows uploads to WOW and other sites. I can't get the software to work properly! I'm connected with USB which it can't use with this software (or weather display!), I have to use the serial port connection. So i've download the USB to serial convertor, gone through every painstaking step and still the computer still can't find the station! 

I'm amazed how difficult it is to get data online in an easy to interpret and easily accessible way without having to be a computer genius! 

I'm about to give up and just settle for the Wunderground but thought I'd see if any of you guys have had similar issues or if there is something blindingly obvious i'm missing! 

Cheers for reading! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Have you set up the right COM port in Cumulus?

If you haven't done so, try this,

Start > (Right click) Computer/ My Computer / This PC > Manage > Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT), see if the Silicon Labs bridge is listed and what COM Port it's using.

Open Cumulus, and under configuration > station, enter the COM Port you found in Device Manager, close cumulus and re open it.

Edited by Essex Easterly.

Posted

Thanks for your reply. 

Iv'e tried that, For some reason I can't even find ports in the device manager! (Windows8) 

It's all very confusing! I got the weatherlink software to search through every possible port too and it can't find anything. 

I'm tempted to uninstall and reinstall weatherlink but I'm worried I'll lose my data so far - Theres been some good extremes here too since i set it up so don't want to lose it really!

Edited by PMPhotography

Posted

not surenif you have sorted your prob, but u need to instal the following virtual driver, once installed check device manager in control panel check ports for the com no to use in cumulus

https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

Posted

An ongoing (common) problem was setting the connection to USB when for alternative software you have to set it for COM port even though you have the USB logger -it becomes a virtual COM/USB
I think this is the tool to reset it it?
Not sure though, I had a saved link because it comes up quite often, but the pages on Davis site have been moved about.
http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/downloads/software_direct.asp?SoftCat=3&SoftwareID=43

Any data would be best saved and exported, and then if it is lost you could import the log again - I expect ...
But in the grand scheme of things a few weeks lost is no big deal.

Thanks for your reply. 

Iv'e tried that, For some reason I can't even find ports in the device manager! (Windows8) 

It's all very confusing! I got the weatherlink software to search through every possible port too and it can't find anything. 

I'm tempted to uninstall and reinstall weatherlink but I'm worried I'll lose my data so far - Theres been some good extremes here too since i set it up so don't want to lose it really!

You don't really need locate or know anything about com ports, the weather software will find it when you search.