Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion - 1300z 12/1/15 ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Benson sits on top of sandy soil which doesn't hold heat as well as other soil types. It is also situated at the bottom of the Chilterns in a dip, so cold air tends to drain into it and gather there.

Ahh that would explain it then! Thanks for that. The head office of the company I work for is in Wallingford which is only a mile or 2 from Benson. I habe cycled through Benson briefly but never stopped there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Jeez, going to be a cold one in your neck of the woods, Benson possibly on for a -8 to -10c perhaps? -2.1c here in Newbury, -4.1c minimum to beat in my patch which occurred on the 20th. Second in preference to snow are these nights with clear skies and sunshine by day, I certainly wouldn't mind more of them.

A nippy one for sure,-4.8c here now.

I've never understood why Benson seems to be 2-3 degrees colder than other areas around it on a frosty night. I guess it must be a frost hollow where the Weather station is located.

Its a frost hollow, situated low down the station. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.Thunder Storms

-1.6C here. Would expect that to double by sunrise!

I really would like some snow at Some point this winter, so when I'm clearing it off my windscreen I can through a nice compact ball straight at my neighbours face, as he has driven past my car and just ripped my winger mirror clean off and didn't even acknowledge it. He's getting a visit tomorrow!

That's appalling !!! Not about wanting Snow.    Some People!!!!!!!  Still, you know what they say......Small D**k.......Small Brain!!!   :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Yes lowland Somerset saw rain/sleet/wet snow mix below 100m although still pretty disruptive but over 200m it was nearly 48 hours of snow and ranks as one of best storms I have ever seen I think it was the same time poor jeth was moving house up to the mendips?  :rofl:

We were cut off for a couple of days and I worked in wells so they were less than pleased.

Yes that was the day, I remember it well....poor removal blokes slipping around loading the lorry then trying to get giant pickford size lorries up steep hills and narrow lanes. To add to the joy, the folks here had moved out the previous week and turned off the heating, it was blinking freezing! We did however manage to build a 'welcome to your new home' snowman when we left and a 'hello new neighbours' snowman when we arrived, so it wasn't all bad.

Am I remembering rightly when I say it wasn't forecast? I seem to remember it was a huge surprise when I drew back the curtains in the morning.

Posted

That's appalling !!! Not about wanting Snow.    Some People!!!!!!!  Still, you know what they say......Small D**k.......Small Brain!!!   :D

Lmao! Well as long as he doesn't say that to his neighbour, he might still be able to get him to pay for a new one!

Posted

Now at -5c. Lowest of winter so far here was early hours Tues Morning at -5.6c. December 30th was -5.3c. :cold:  :cold:

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Is it just me or is that even funnier coming from someone whose avatar is at 90-degrees?

A crawl to a minimum of -1.7C so far. Headington, a suburb of Oxford is 3.3C colder. What is the opposite of a frost hollow, I wonder?

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yes lowland Somerset saw rain/sleet/wet snow mix below 100m although still pretty disruptive but over 200m it was nearly 48 hours of snow and ranks as one of best storms I have ever seen I think it was the same time poor jeth was moving house up to the mendips?  :rofl:

We were cut off for a couple of days and I worked in wells so they were less than pleased.

I wouldn't mind a late event like that if it could be to lower levels as well, and preferrably on a weekend. Chances are slim however. The snow we had here on April 06th 2008 was pretty much all gone by midday, even up on the Mendips it was only left in the completely shaded bits.

Gonna be a cold one tonight. I would expect -4C at least here at this rate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Now at -5c. Lowest of winter so far here was early hours Tues Morning at -5.6c. December 30th was -5.3c. :cold:  :cold:

Just hit -5c here now. very chilly night and coldest of this 'cold spell' so far :rofl:

Posted

Aye, it's bloody chilly tonight! Took the dog for a walk and without meaning to be too graphic... It's that cold that I think his mess froze over as soon as it hit the floor :D :D

Posted

Aye, it's bloody chilly tonight! Took the dog for a walk and without meaning to be too graphic... It's that cold that I think his mess froze over as soon as it hit the floor :D :D

Yup thick frost. Think we could reach -6c here at this rate. 

Posted

Is it just me or is that even funnier coming from someone whose avatar is at 90-degrees?

A crawl to a minimum of -1.7C so far. Headington, a suburb of Oxford is 3.3C colder. What is the opposite of a frost hollow, I wonder?

An Abingdon avenger? :D it's where the Abingdon avenger comes out during a cold spell and turns invisible heaters on all over the town in an attempt to warm it up. He's like some mystical being that prefers mild Weather.

He is also known to put massive fans into the sky to blow away potential snow clouds before they reach Abingdon.

• Like 1

Posted

Lmao! Well as long as he doesn't say that to his neighbour, he might still be able to get him to pay for a new one!

I could say it for him.........Sideways, of course :ninja:  :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

I could say it for him.........Sideways, of course :ninja:  :rofl:

:D it might have more of an effect if you say it sideways. Haha.

Sideways is the new upright!

• Like 1

Posted

Now that's a crackin' HARD frost this morning, not too much moisture, but frozen solid at ground level. Currently -3.9C, and looking like the winter really had delivered some white stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I could say it for him.........Sideways, of course :ninja::rofl:

There I was struggling to think what to say, Sorted, cheers SS, like your style lol!

-4.3C here and still falling! Proper frost

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted

:D it might have more of an effect if you say it sideways. Haha.

Sideways is the new upright!

lol. I used to worry about my sidewayness.......but now I just don't care  :D Maybe I will do something about it...one Day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Coldest night of the winter so far, wasn't expecting that!

Posted

There I was struggling to think what to say, Sorted, cheers SS, like your style lol!

-4.3C here and still falling! Proper frost

Hope you sort it out. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Coldest morning so far this winter. It was -6 (car :unsure2: ) when I scrapped the ice off for the OH.

Walked across the fields to Downton and the sun started to come up over the hill at ~8.15am. Just like yesterday, it was a beautiful orange. Couldn't find the proper camera and the tablet didn't do it justice, but here are a few snaps anyway.

post-7340-0-02999500-1422005366_thumb.jp

post-7340-0-25719500-1422005391_thumb.jp

post-7340-0-44190600-1422005417_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms

An Abingdon avenger? :D it's where the Abingdon avenger comes out during a cold spell and turns invisible heaters on all over the town in an attempt to warm it up. He's like some mystical being that prefers mild Weather.

He is also known to put massive fans into the sky to blow away potential snow clouds before they reach Abingdon.

I wouldn't be surprised.

Minimum -4C here, coldest night of the winter and still -2C.

Avatar adjusted in solidarity with 'sidewaysnow'.

• Like 1