Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion - 1300z 12/1/15 ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Yep temps have risen and down the rain comes. Still at least I can the horse out tomorrow and not have fear of Bambi on ice experiences. There is a plus point I begrudgingly suppose.

• Like 1

Posted

In 2013 we had no snow on the beaches, we had snow on fields or in the streets, we had no snow on hills but in 2014/2015 we did and now we shall never surrender!

We had some snow any way its better than last years rain from, October to February and mass flooding, we still have time yet! :) Lets hope for a Feb 2009 repeat?

Channel Low! Channel Low! Channel Low!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

IF.... We can get some kind of east/south east draw later tonight into tomorrow as the low pulls south and there's still some ppn around. I wouldn't totally discount the chance of some snow falling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

IF.... We can get some kind of east/south east draw later tonight into tomorrow as the low pulls south and there's still some ppn around. I wouldn't totally discount the chance of some snow falling.

Agreed Chris, said as much earlier.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82259-south-west-central-southern-england-regional-discussion-1300z-12115/?p=3133540

Wednesday 21st January (my birthday) always looked the better option so overnight whilst asleep down might come the wet sleety snowy bits. If I were to raise another short-term positive, the Temps are falling once again here, now 2.1c, was 2.5c prior to start of Winterwatch at 8pm. Cold rain it is but slight chance of wet snow as it moves off SE during tomorrow morning. More heavy stuff out of SW approaches too, must be front number two of the three expected before Thursday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Come on people try to stay positive It's only the 20th of January and we all know anything can happen with Mother Nature... Its why we are on here and following the models .

We are now entering the best time of winter for snowfall and I for one will not be giving up till March .

Take care one and all

Now that's more like it, a positive post, the mood from most in here tonight is so depressing! Plenty of time yet and the models are showing some interest, as bluearmy has been mentioning over in the mod thread. By the mood in here I was expecting to see poor model output with long fetch south westerlies progged all the way out into fi, that is not what's being shown!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Boar's Hill, Oxon. Having had gorgeous frost this morning and sunshine today, and now a disappointing warm non-snow event, I think I would rather skip the snow and just have dry, cold and sunny weather from now until spring. The sledges can go back to accumulating leaves in the garden like they used to.

Don't give up yet, 2 of the best elevated places in Oxford, Boars Hill to the West, Shotover to the East. Elevation always key, during the night temps will drop slightly and dew points too, could get something wintry with elevation.... (i'm trying to still be positive!)

Edited by Mark N
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Had some rain this evening..  Temperature 3.6c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

So that's it guys game set and match for this evening..

Although positivity is difficult to come by for the long term, back to zonal and the atlantic influence..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Boar's Hill, Oxon. Having had gorgeous frost this morning and sunshine today, and now a disappointing warm non-snow event, I think I would rather skip the snow and just have dry, cold and sunny weather from now until spring. The sledges can go back to accumulating leaves in the garden like they used to.

Good to see someone else local on here!

The top of Boars hill must be quite high, i'd take a guess at 150m? Could well see some wet snow soon when that heavy PPN hits in about 10 mins!

• Like 1

Posted

The top of Boars hill must be quite high, i'd take a guess at 150m? Could well see some wet snow soon when that heavy PPN hits in about 10 mins!

I'm staying up for that, cold rain likely, perhaps sleety. 

• Like 1

Posted

If you want something positive/cheering up, take a look at the mod thread... YES, the mod thread - a place of cheer this evening!! Probably due to it being quiet, mods appear to have slackened the rules (rightly so), which has allowed for a couple off topic, though much enjoyed posts!

Edited by dec10snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Really? I must have seen it at least 5 times in the past 5/6 years, that's just from events I can remember as well! Surprising if that's the case.

I'm talking disruptive snow. Not stuff that lies 1cm deep and then melts in 10 minutes. The first was a very early season one - think it was 27th Nov 06. Then we had 3 incidents in the better winters of 09-12.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Rain got heavy - evaporative warming - up to daily max of 2.6C.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

ha ha ha , I can't afford to live on the top, I live in view of some of the big mansions though, they make my garden look grand :D .  I cannot be bothered to go and look out at more rain, so I will have to check online tomorrow to see if it snowed in the end!

Posted

Rain got heavy - evaporative warming - up to daily max of 2.6C.

Haha!! Well that turned out to be a load of crap. I thought I may see some brief wet snow from this heavy burst but it's rain with a very slight touch of sleet!

Even the added height of Kennington can't help tonight :(

ha ha ha , I can't afford to live on the top, I live in view of some of the big mansions though, they make my garden look grand :D .  I cannot be bothered to go and look out at more rain, so I will have to check online tomorrow to see if it snowed in the end!

Some of the houses around old boars hill are amazing! Gotta be some £1,000,000+ houses up there.

You needn't look out the window to be honest. I can confirm that it is nothing close to being snow.

• Like 1

Posted

Haha!! Well that turned out to be a load of crap. I thought I may see some brief wet snow from this heavy burst but it's rain with a very slight touch of sleet!

Even the added height of Kennington can't help tonight :(

Sleet here, about as interesting as it got. Rain & then sleety. Temp here  2.4c. Was 2.7c before the shower.  Biting wind now though, really picked up in last few hours. ESE 18mph.

Posted

Sleet here, about as interesting as it got. Rain & then sleety. Temp here  2.4c. Was 2.7c before the shower.  Biting wind now though, really picked up in last few hours. ESE 18mph.

Yeah it wasn't great :( but you're right, it does feel very cold out there! It's a real shame because had it been 1c colder, it would probably have been snow.

Have you lived in Oxford all your life? If so, has there been any decent snow events down here? I only moved down here in Feb 2013 but in 2 years, the most snow I have seen is a sugar dusting.

Breaking news ... I SAW A FLAKE ON MY WINDSCREEN!

A Cadbury's one?

Posted

Yeah it wasn't great :( but you're right, it does feel very cold out there! It's a real shame because had it been 1c colder, it would probably have been snow.

Have you lived in Oxford all your life? If so, has there been any decent snow events down here? I only moved down here in Feb 2013 but in 2 years, the most snow I have seen is a sugar dusting.

I have lived in Oxford all my life, 20 years old. I can only remember snow from 2007 onwards. In terms of events in last 6 years or so.

Feb 2009. Pretty decent event Thames Streamer in London then we got a band of heavy snow moving in from the East following that, got 15cm here.

Dec 2009- Snow managed to miss us on several occasions can remember being at Cowley and we had Snow starting to fall then had rain, everywhere else saw a bit of snow in run unto christmas.

Jan 2010- 5th January a system moved in on the tuesday evening, then about 7pm the snow got heavy and still going strong a good 12hours later, we had 28cm, one of the best in my living memory, the system stalled over Oxon/Bucks. The following Wednesday we went back to school, that night had more snow again, another 6cm was a good one.

Dec 2010- We managed to avoid snow on several occasions again, had a dusting twice while the rest of the country got it all, on the 18th Dec, Sat before christmas we saw a band of snow move up from SW gave us 20cm in space of 6hours this pivoted with Oxford right in the pivot.

Feb 2012- Saw snow on the Saturday 5th? got about 5cm from that, followed by another 4cm on the Thursday. 

January 2013- Fri 18th Jan saw us get 10cm from the system moving in off the Atlantic. Feb 2013, Saw a Rain to Snow event on one sunday evening had 2cm here in Headington, City centre a mere dusting.

March 2013- Rest of country and up north saw that big snow event from that lively system off the Atlantic we saw some snow for a time but transient until the Sunday morning, Rain turned to snow and gave 1hour of heavy snow, big massive flakes. 

Since then snow hasn't been seen pretty much!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

rest assured, when it snows here, it is great; Oxfordshire had amazing snow two years ago, and almost every year before that since we have been here, although I probably blanked the years that it didn't from my memory. Old golf course at the top of Boar's Hill is the sledging place to be if it ever happens.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I have lived in Oxford all my life, 20 years old. I can only remember snow from 2007 onwards. In terms of events in last 6 years or so.

Feb 2009. Pretty decent event Thames Streamer in London then we got a band of heavy snow moving in from the East following that, got 15cm here.

Dec 2009- Snow managed to miss us on several occasions can remember being at Cowley and we had Snow starting to fall then had rain, everywhere else saw a bit of snow in run unto christmas.

Jan 2010- 5th January a system moved in on the tuesday evening, then about 7pm the snow got heavy and still going strong a good 12hours later, we had 28cm, one of the best in my living memory, the system stalled over Oxon/Bucks. The following Wednesday we went back to school, that night had more snow again, another 6cm was a good one.

Dec 2010- We managed to avoid snow on several occasions again, had a dusting twice while the rest of the country got it all, on the 18th Dec, Sat before christmas we saw a band of snow move up from SW gave us 20cm in space of 6hours this pivoted with Oxford right in the pivot.

Feb 2012- Saw snow on the Saturday 5th? got about 5cm from that, followed by another 4cm on the Thursday. 

January 2013- Fri 18th Jan saw us get 10cm from the system moving in off the Atlantic. Feb 2013, Saw a Rain to Snow event on one sunday evening had 2cm here in Headington, City centre a mere dusting.

March 2013- Rest of country and up north saw that big snow event from that lively system off the Atlantic we saw some snow for a time but transient until the Sunday morning, Rain turned to snow and gave 1hour of heavy snow, big massive flakes. 

Since then snow hasn't been seen pretty much!

How times change....I grew up not far from Woodstock, back in the 1970's-80's it was a regular winter feature to see the snow fences going up on the A34. More often than not the snow still managed to drift over the road, causing chaos.

• Like 1

Posted

I seem to remember hearing about that 18th December 2010 event! In Leicester we got a good covering a few days later but I remember the 18th because The Enforcer said that even Abingdon had a good covering! Which was rare to hear, haha.

I swear the lack of snow has followed me down here. I'm just hoping that Feb will bring something of note. My grandad used to always say "February is normally the snowiest month" so I hope he turns out to be right this year!

• Like 2

Posted

rest assured, when it snows here, it is great; Oxfordshire had amazing snow two years ago, and almost every year before that since we have been here, although I probably blanked the years that it didn't from my memory. Old golf course at the top of Boar's Hill is the sledging place to be if it ever happens.....

Absolutely, 2009-2013, a real purple patch for snowfall in the shire. 

• Like 2