Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion - 1300z 12/1/15 ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Meagre hopes it is then, but best watch DPs and WBFLs and the intensity of the precipitation as things don't always go as expected.  :D

Temperature and dew point   is marginal but good enough so your correct maybe if some decent ppn intensity gets going later it might change.. :fool:

2.0c dew point -1c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

I have some bad news....

Its rain with a touch of sleet falling here at near 300m  :sorry:  :wallbash:

Uh oh, we're all doomed I tell ya, doomed! ;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Uh oh, we're all doomed I tell ya, doomed! ;)

We'll be buried in the stuff by morning. Sleet that is.  :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted

Hi legritter,

"all snow from now on is forecast to fall in extraordinary amounts from the M4 southwards. 

you mean 2 flakes instead of the one that has fallen, wow thats a good increase.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

you mean 2 flakes instead of the one that has fallen, wow thats a good increase.

What do you expect when you only part quote me.  :rofl:  :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

1.2C dp 0.9C

Posted

2.5c AT, 1.6c DP.

Impressive to think that Karlos is colder than me, even though situated by the coast. Forecast 850s at this time predicted to be -4. Darn close call but elevation should certainly help. A streamer of sorts setting up West of Bristol through Bristol Channel as I type.

• Like 1

Posted

Can't see too many hard frosts this week due to cloud cover. Plenty of dampness due to rain and some sunny spells, coldish days but nothing that cold. 4-5 degrees seems a normal temp for middle of Jan, slightly below average. Other areas of the UK will see some more snowfall, but for our area, Bristol surrounding, pretty much run of the mill cold winter pattern ahead. Much more wintry over elevation, but wet to low levels with the odd bit of wintryness mixed in. At the end of the day it's just not forecast to be cold enough for our area, simple as that.

• Like 1

Posted

Can't see too many hard frosts this week due to cloud cover. Plenty of dampness due to rain and some sunny spells, coldish days but nothing that cold. 4-5 degrees seems a normal temp for middle of Jan, slightly below average. Other areas of the UK will see some more snowfall, but for our area, Bristol surrounding, pretty much run of the mill cold winter pattern ahead. Much more wintry over elevation, but wet to low levels with the odd bit of wintryness mixed in. At the end of the day it's just not forecast to be cold enough for our area, simple as that.

A reasonable account of how things are looking I agree, more especially as a forecast from your locale. Others can expect broadly similar synoptics, but... due to day to day variables, any specific details over snow probabilities and distribution, I would not make things as simplistic as you currently show. We've all been through these situations before and transient events can soon turn in our favour, as equally they can go the other way. In fairness, it might be a lack of precipitation outside and inside the dates I mention which could be the real issue. As ever time will tell and we'll all be watching the updates I'm sure.

Posted

A reasonable account of how things are looking I agree, more especially as a forecast from your locale. Others can expect broadly similar synoptics, but... due to day to day variables, any specific details over snow probabilities and distribution, I would not make things as simplistic as you currently show. We've all been through these situations before and transient events can soon turn in our favour, as equally they can go the other way. In fairness, it might be a lack of precipitation outside and inside the dates I mention which could be the real issue. As ever time will tell and we'll all be watching the updates I'm sure.

Agreed. I will post my high and low temps next Saturday from the next 7 days to gauge (imby) the period purely on temperature. Disregarding what falls from the sky, temperature is the key for me whether it's a cold spell or a cooler period.

• Like 1

Posted

Agreed. I will post my high and low temps next Saturday from the next 7 days to gauge (imby) the period purely on temperature. Disregarding what falls from the sky, temperature is the key for me whether it's a cold spell or a cooler period.

Dew point is also important you can get temps of 2-3C and still have snow falling if the humidity is low enough.

Posted

2.5c AT, 1.6c DP.

Impressive to think that Karlos is colder than me, even though situated by the coast. Forecast 850s at this time predicted to be -4. Darn close call but elevation should certainly help. A streamer of sorts setting up West of Bristol through Bristol Channel as I type.

Full quote this tweet I me.

Currently 1.5C with DP -0.1C.

• Like 1

Posted

2.5c AT, 1.6c DP.

Yes it is but I think cloud cover is less here. Now at 1.4C dp 1.1C.

Posted

Dew point is also important you can get temps of 2-3C and still have snow falling if the humidity is low enough.

Humidity is the problem for me, sitting at 97%, 1 even 2c is no good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

I remember hearing on a bbc forecast many years ago that snow can fall upto an air temp of 4c, depending on other factors etc.

Light rain here at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Pretty sure we just had snizzle. Terrible word I know but the best way to describe drizzle type sleet stuff.

Posted

Yes..but the snow won't settle with temps above freezing. U just get horrid wet snow and lots of puddles.

Posted
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)
  • Weather Preferences: Exciting extremes - snow, wind, storms... love it all!
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)

Raining... Night all.

Posted

Absolutely chucking it down with cold rain.

Depressing stuff, but softened by a fine Bombay Sapphire Gin and Tonic, with a slice of lemon and loads of ice. Chilling in SG.

• Like 3