Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion - 1300z 12/1/15 ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

Light hail shower passing through here 09.43

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.

After a decent overnight frost, temp has now risen by 6.8oC in the last hour and a half. Current temp 3.2oC, dew point 1.2oC.

Light rain at present.

Posted

Sunny and cold, after sleet/snow earlier. Very happy see a decent fall of snow this morning best in 2 years at least. 1.4C 95%RH (dew p) 1C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Well that was a nice surprise, proper big snowflakes from the front this morning

Settled on the cars and road, got some pics - will try and upload later (nothing special like)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Sunshine now, and temp upto 1.8c after earlier light snow and thick frost -3.3c overnight low. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Nice walk out on the frost and castor sugar snow this morning. Looking up to the higher moor the tors have a good bit of snow on.

currently rain/sleet here will be ssnowing above 300 metres.

post-16633-0-41041900-1421490929_thumb.j

post-16633-0-58439500-1421490981_thumb.j

Edited by festivalking
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

We had a light covering to, which is now in the process of melting in the sunshine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We had a light covering to, which is now in the process of melting in the sunshine

All melted here, brief but at least it snowed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Lol what a joke that was. Little bit of snow then just heavy slushy sleet, after a low of -1.4C and now 01.4C. Looks like a proper struggle to get pure wintriness here this year.

• Like 1

Posted

Lol what a joke that was. Little bit of snow then just heavy slushy sleet, after a low of -1.4C and now 01.4C. Looks like a proper struggle to get pure wintriness here this year.

I was thinking the same! Odds on it rains Tuesday too.

Posted

We had rain so at least we are consistent, now waiting for tomorrow's downpour. Mind you it was definitely cool last night @-3.2c. So black ice was the order of the morning.

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

I was thinking the same! Odds on it rains Tuesday too.

Probably lol, I saw a few mentions in the mod thread this morning about it looking good for most of the UK, except the sw! Still there appears to have been a swing back West with the lp with the overnight runs and who's to say this westward push won't continue more, if it does things could be looking up.

• Like 2

Posted

Probably lol, I saw a few mentions in the mod thread this morning about it looking good for most of the UK, except the sw! Still there appears to have been a swing back West with the lp with the overnight runs and who's to say this westward push won't continue more, if it does things could be looking up.

Guarantee it'll be m4 north lol, the amount of times that phrase is used is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Posted

Just goes to show one can't double guess the weather. Even when conditions are right it won't snow. Probably why I never got above a B in GCSE Physics - half of it doesn't make sense!

Fingers crossed something delivers in the next few days. Hasn't been anything less than average for January so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Guarantee it'll be m4 north lol, the amount of times that phrase is used is ridiculous.

Nah, I go north of the A40 this time. ;)

While we're at it, it'll probably be East of the A49 too.

Edited by AWD
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Although this week is a marginal mess for us I see repeated chances of snow throughout the week and even tonight maybe, could end up being a great week or a very damp let down, its my birthday this week so maybe just maybe I can see some snow on the 19th to make it magical  :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Mhmm .. I think that warning should have been extended further south. I did point out early showers yesterday and day before, and what happens? It gets down to -3°C and a shower passes over, ice everywhere, 8 car pile up at the Bakers arms roundabout. That's twice now, a multi-car pile up happened in December, and no warning was out.

Currently 6.8°C and sunny.

Why do iPads do that?? Type a lengthy post, pop over to another tab, come back to this one to finish typing the post, it refreshes and post gone!

I thought I'd answer that in here s4.. It's down to RAM management. Chrome does the same on 80% of tablets. Coming back to tabs already open (and not refreshing) uses up a fair bit of RAM, a refresh releases that RAM.

I had the same problem on a Samsung tablet with 2GB of RAM. Since switching to a Sony tablet with 3GB, it no longer refreshes when multitasking or switching tabs. A welcome relief, I can tell you!

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Mhmm .. I think that warning should have been extended further south. I did point out early showers yesterday and day before, and what happens? It gets down to -3°C and a shower passes over, ice everywhere, 8 car pile up at the Bakers arms roundabout. That's twice now, a multi-car pile up happened in December, and no warning was out.

Currently 6.8°C and sunny.

I thought I'd answer that in here s4.. It's down to RAM management. Chrome does the same on 80% of tablets. Coming back to tabs already open (and not refreshing) uses up a fair bit of RAM, a refresh releases that RAM.

I had the same problem on a Samsung tablet with 2GB of RAM. Since switching to a Sony tablet with 3GB, it no longer refreshes when multitasking or switching tabs. A welcome relief, I can tell you!

Something else wrong there as I've never had any refresh issues with either of my tablets, nexus 7 & galaxy note 10.1,with multiple tabs open in chrome both tablets still have loads of ram left! 2gb is more than enough for multitasking.

Edit : also down to which version of android the tablet is running, newer versions have much better ram management, probably why I have no issues as both tablets are running upto date os versions.

Edited by Smartie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Something else wrong there as I've never had any refresh issues with either of my tablets, nexus 7 & galaxy note 10.1,with multiple tabs open in chrome both tablets still have loads of ram left! 2gb is more than enough for multitasking.

Edit : also down to which version of android the tablet is running, newer versions have much better ram management, probably why I have no issues as both tablets are running upto date os versions.

Galaxy Pro Tab has one of the highest specs out there, Android 4.4.4 (one before Lollipop) and it still does it. It's the same on the iPad.

Nothing wrong, that's exactly what happens. But, as I said, not on all tablets. I was using a Samsung galaxy tab pro with 2GB of RAM, and it was shocking! The RAM management was terrible on it, 80% in use with just the web browser open. I searched about this, and lots of people reported the same, so I ditched it.

The refreshing of tabs is RAM being released because background pages are being closed to "efficiently" manage the memory.

There used to be a Bandwidth management option to turn on/off preloading of webpages.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I'm off to the technical thread :-p

Edited by karlos1983

Posted

So a quick run through with Farmers Weekly weather does suggest that rain will be our major player down here with snow more towards north midlands.

If it's gonna rain then let's keep the temps up to avoid the aggro of black ice which is lethal.

Posted

About turn....

From today's Bournemouth Echo after yesterday's warning we have :

UPDATE: Snow now unlikely, say forecasters - weather warning for Sunday cancelled.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

I think I'd prefer a clear frosty spell than one with repeated snow let downs and slushy messes. Driving to Reading tomorrow so quite glad no snow is forecast, or even heavy rain for that matter.