Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion - 1300z 12/1/15 ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A sleet and hail shower last night, with thunder & lightning and a light rain shower earlier. Other than that, nothing exciting. Looking at reports, it seems a touch overhyped? Even at higher levels?

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

We did end up with snow but barely a cm. Bit of a let down really and although it would have been washed away later today, it would have been nice to have woken up to a thicker covering. Here's hoping we see a bit more before winter's over.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

At least a lot of us experienced Thundersnow.

Driving 200 north up the M5 home this morning so will be interesting to who got what last night.

Posted

Morning Jethro,  good to see you are alive and kicking. :smile:

Morning Knocker, thank you. Yes, alive and kicking, haven't shuffled off yet.

p.s There is enough snow for my dogs to be loopy, currently legging it up and down the path, leaping onto the decking at the end and deliberately skidding.

Edited by jethro

Posted

Morning Knocker, thank you. Yes, alive and kicking, haven't shuffled off yet.

p.s There is enough snow for my dogs to be loopy, currently legging it up and down the path, leaping onto the decking at the end and deliberately skidding.

Ours just love doing that too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Nothing in Weston apart from a slushy hail mix on the car windscreens, looks like the hills all around got a covering though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Can confirm my first snow, of the very slushy wet flake variety, but snow nonetheless attempted to settle on already damp surfaces here in Newbury. First snow since March 2013.  :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

It's currently snowing quite well here, sky looks full of it too.

Ours just love doing that too!

Glad I'm not the only one with loopy snow loving mutts. Probably something to do with them being puppies when we had that series of good winters a few years ago.

Posted

Driving to work this morning across the forest on the A31 there were a few wet snowflakes hitting the windscreen. I'm wondering if the little band of precip working east might give a few flakes here in Farnborough shortly?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy

Snow in the air in Warminster, tiny bit on the cars but temps too high. Cley Hill looked like a mountain (i.e. snow on top!). Reaching the University (Bath) much snowier and coincided with a decent snow shower. White everywhere but not much really 1cm at best. All in all great to see first snow of 2015 and best snow since 2013 - just hope that's not it for the year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

It's snowing!!!! Yay! Finally, I can see Mendip is white from our house

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

No snow, no thunder and very little precipitation.  It would seem checking back on the radar that we were mostly between the two bands for the whole night.  Now clear and soon will be sunny too.  Temperature currently 1.9°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

The square route of nothing at home but at height the A46 and smaller roads were quite iffy this morning, once i dropped off the hills there was nothing again. I am happy I have seen more snow this winter than last.

Posted

Morning all.

Remnants of snow cover here. Icy and slushy. Bits of snow left on cars and a white slushy mess on the lawn.

Any real snow action coming next week? Seemed to be hinting at possibilities on yesterday's model runs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Must have been incredibly marginal last night. Went down to 0.4C yet there's hardly anything to show for it - rather disappointing in all. I'm wondering if it may be worth heading to the Mendips to actually see some snow. Is there a good covering there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.Thunder Storms

Last night BBC said heavy Snow from 9pm last night, until 10/11am this morning (on line BBC Weather) woke in the night....tiny bit of Snow/Rain falling...Woke 8am,clear Sky, Bright Sun, every thing Green!!!.....then about 15mins ago..........Snowing like mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sky looks full of it!!!! Everything going White!!!! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Snow line in these parts is at 250 m/asl. Walked up to 300 metres where a good covering commences. Could see towards Princetown that it's very thick there. Word locally that the road was shut last night but could see it flowing nicely today.

First time for our dog in snow. He loved it running and jumping rolling in it.

Snow fell lower down I.e at my house but obviously just to wet to stick. So off to work I go. Gutting as another snow shower just got going as I left.

Ho hum here's to the next event

• Like 1

Posted

Must have been incredibly marginal last night. Went down to 0.4C yet there's hardly anything to show for it - rather disappointing in all. I'm wondering if it may be worth heading to the Mendips to actually see some snow. Is there a good covering there?

Depends how desperate you are to see snow. We had about a cm but it is currently snowing heavily, if it keeps this up for a couple of hours before the milder air moves in, we may end up with a decent covering. Lovely to see it falling though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)
  • Weather Preferences: Exciting extremes - snow, wind, storms... love it all!
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)

Apparently, had heavy snow in Hungerford half an hour ago; mostly blue skies in Henley on Thames! Fingers crossed for some of the good stuff next week. For now, will focus on the incoming high winds. Can hear a neighbour hammering... battening down the hatches perhaps...?!!

Posted

Sunday onwards (and possibly for a week) looks promising (just popped into the Mad Discussion thread).

Possible chances of sliding lows that could produce decent snow, as long as they align to our West slightly.

Certainly looks like cold is pretty much nailed on for later in the w/e and into next week.

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Sunday onwards (and possibly for a week) looks promising (just popped into the Mad Discussion thread).

Possible chances of sliding lows that could produce decent snow, as long as they align to our West slightly.

Certainly looks like cold is pretty much nailed on for later in the w/e and into next week.

Yes with slider lows we need each run to push the low further sw for us to benefit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Depends how desperate you are to see snow. We had about a cm but it is currently snowing heavily, if it keeps this up for a couple of hours before the milder air moves in, we may end up with a decent covering. Lovely to see it falling though. 

Ah fair enough. It was really for photographs more than anything else. Bearing in mind I was living in Spain during winter 2012-2013, I haven't seen proper snow since Feb 2012, nearly 3 years! (barring skiing which is different).

Posted

Snow line in these parts is at 250 m/asl. Walked up to 300 metres where a good covering commences. Could see towards Princetown that it's very thick there. Word locally that the road was shut last night but could see it flowing nicely today.

First time for our dog in snow. He loved it running and jumping rolling in it.

Snow fell lower down I.e at my house but obviously just to wet to stick. So off to work I go. Gutting as another snow shower just got going as I left.

Ho hum here's to the next event

Yes, looking good at Princetown and hopefully more excitement in the next week. I know we're all busy with the here and now, but what are peoples thoughts on the forecasted winds for tomorrow?

• Like 1

Posted

Well, that was a load of rubbish!! Woke up twice during the night, and witnessed rain both times... Not even any touches of sleet by the looks...

So, still yet to see proper snow, as all we had yesterday was a 2 minute sleet shower :(

Edit: didn't even see any thunder Lightning or hail either!!

Edited by dec10snow