Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion - 1300z 12/1/15 ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

This is my first post on netweather and have been reading in the background for years. I have to say I'm dissapointed in the flack that Ian F has to endure on behalf of his colleagues at the bbc.

I don't think improving graphics or trying to make them look prettier is the answer when the answer is that a modelled solution cannot be shown in better detail/higher confidence. One thing that I've learned in being a forum lurker is that the solution that our model forecasting provides is simply the most likely scenario but we need to accept the element of uncertainly - and that is the weather.

For the record, Ian F replies to nearly every post/question directed at him (not just on this regional thread) on here (plus his commitments at the Met O) and I think some should show a little more gratitude. Ian's posts are the most informative (and frankly unbiased) that I've ever read on here and long may they continue...

what's the problem?....there's no flack......I simply voiced my opinion, am I not allowed to disagree with a BBC and/or Met employee?.....am i not allowed to for fear of offending the BBC?......a reality check is seriously needed.....I stand by my opinion, I'm not a fan of the BBC weather graphics and much prefer analyzing the models and drawing my own conclusions from them...thank you

just to add, if you have been reading in the background for years, then you would know that I have been vocal in my support for Ian's postings and valuable snippets of info in this thread, and to suggest otherwise is frankly quite offensive, I just simply don't hang on to one member's every word, I glean as much information from as many respected and accredited sources as possible

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Day has arrived then! Those with decent altitude and away from coasts will surly do well if ppn strikes. Nervous times for my location yes I have height but the hill faces SW towards the direction of the coast and we're just 12 miles from the English channel. Latest updates have yo yo'ed from 4 hours of rain to hours of snow now back to sleet. Which means confidence must be low. These things are never simple!

• Like 1

Posted

My new vantage pro2 is up and running and ready for a interesting days weather.

4.6C

95%

Dew P 4C

1.2mm Rain since midnight

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I can't believe its my day off and I couldn't sleep :nonono:

Going to be a long day... will it or won't it :pardon:

First heavy ppn inbound I wonder what will fall?

Edited by Nights King

Posted

Cloud increasing temp still slowly dropping since my last post 4.2°C Dew P 3°C not expecting any wintry weather until the dew point gets lower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Scattered cloud. Sun is up but behind the buildings. Will be sunny very soon. Pressure 989.5 hpa. Humidity 91%. rh. Temperature  5.4c. Lamposts out later for lamppost watching of falling flakes....... **********

Edited by ARTDEMOLE

Posted

Cloud increasing temp still slowly dropping since my last post 4.2°C Dew P 3°C not expecting any wintry weather until the dew point gets lower.

perhaps although the radar is showing sleet/snow over the high ground of Devon currently? I'd be happy to get sleet at this early juncture.

Posted

W COUNTRY Snow showers likely to give some settling in areas >100m later PM/tonight. However, hail may be more more hazardous on e.g. M4/M5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Anyone from Devon Cornwall, What is that heavy precipitaion currently falling as?

Posted

Anyone from Devon Cornwall, What is that heavy precipitaion currently falling as?

slower pace of life down there, they are still wrapped up in bed for another hour :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

perhaps although the radar is showing sleet/snow over the high ground of Devon currently? I'd be happy to get sleet at this early juncture.

Sorry I was talking about here but as your some 200m higher than me you could easily see some wintry weather when this next lot moves in keep us updated :) temp has shot up to 4.9°C and humidity has gone up to 96% (Dew P) 4°C

Posted

Sorry I was talking about here but as your some 200m higher than me you could easily see some wintry weather when this next lot moves in keep us updated :) temp has shot up to 4.9°C and humidity has gone up to 96% (Dew P) 4°C

Fair comment, not a much lower temperature currently although I have lower dp.  4.5c and dp of 1.8

I guess each round of showers will have a progressively lower snow line as the day goes on, would be nice to see something before sunset as its always more magical to see it falling. :)

Edited by Nights King

Posted

Rain..

Posted

Torquay, feeling cold, overcast with light rain.

Am thinking about travelling up to Somerset this evening. Who has the best chance of snow? Torquay V Taunton?

Posted

Fair comment, not a much lower temperature currently although I have lower dp.  4.5c and dp of 1.8

I guess each round of showers will have a progressively lower snow line as the day goes on, would be nice to see something before sunset as its always more magical to see it falling. :)

Luckily i'm not far away from the Cotswolds about a 5min drive and about 210m asl so I could always have a drive later as long as it isn't to dangerous hopefully I won't need to. 

Posted

Am thinking about travelling up to Somerset this evening. Who has the best chance of snow? Torquay V Taunton?

If I was you I would head up to Exmoor around ilfracoombe way looking at track of showers, could be stunning up there.

• Like 1

Posted

Crazy for snow Bazray? If you travelling I would head for the Mendip hills, you wont find anything in Torquay but maybe Taunton. Not until the very late tonight or early hours tomoz.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

slower pace of life down there, they are still wrapped up in bed for another hour :rofl:

hahahah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

fingers crossed for later, it was rather mild first thing this morning, it was hard to imagine the potential for later.

I had my snow fix earlier by looking at the traffic cams from Scotland they have had a good dumping by the looks of it.

Posted

If I was you I would head up to Exmoor around ilfracoombe way looking at track of showers, could be stunning up there.

Crazy for snow Bazray? If you travelling I would head for the Mendip hills, you wont find anything in Torquay but maybe Taunton. Not until the very late tonight or early hours tomoz.

Crazy for any extreme weather! Always head down to the seafront when there is a good storm on, gets wild down there. But a bit of thunder snow, that is damn exciting.

Let it snow :-)

Thank You, it's a toss up between Torquay and Taunton tonight. Partner lives in Somerset. Edited by Bazray
  • Like 1

Posted

Crazy for any extreme weather! Always head down to the seafront when there is a good storm on, gets wild down there. But a bit of thunder snow, that is damn exciting.

Let it snow :-)

Thank You, it's a toss up between Torquay and Taunton tonight. Partner lives in Somerset.

Then head out to the Quantocks in the early morning if you have not seen much Taunton way that is your closest port of call unless you fancy Exmoor or Mendips.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Hi Offerman

Raining at the moment on the edge of Dartmoor but have had a couple of beefy hail showers. A bit blustery!

Good Morning SNOW CRYSTAL.  Many Thanks for the update and i wish you a change to some 50p sized flakes later today :-)

Good Morning SNOW CRYSTAL.  Many Thanks for the update and i wish you a change to some 50p sized flakes later today :-)

I`ll post some snow pics for you tomorrow if we get any!!