Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Would you like a 'hunt for cold' model thread?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

As they say 'if it 'ain't broke don't fix it'. We all know which thread to go to If we're looking for any potential for our own favoured weather.

• Like 1

Posted

Well this is my 2nd year since I found this site.

And I've got to say the fact that you took a suggestion and made it a public vote, is just what makes this site SO MUCH BETTER than any others.

I love the excitement, the moans, the ramps.

It makes model watching much more interesting/entertaining.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

yes, there should be a seperate thread.

why?

because its misleading for many who view the forum who just want a realistic take on whats likely to happen. the cold bias would have you think we are on the verge of another 63/47 and this has been posted by 'non regulars' several times.

i note plenty of coldies have already voted to leave it as it is.... but they would, wouldnt they, because theyve turned it into a hunt for cold thread already! people who post unbiased outlooks are often questioned, called 'mildies' (actually , i see NO ONE posting pro mild in the way people are chasing cold).

is it ok as it is?.... in a way yes, because theres not much sign of anything really cold. but look how the place reacts when snow is imminant. you have to start a new thread for every run! it relegates unbiased, reasoned posts to be hidden amongst the fervour.

id also ask... why not start one? it costs nothing does it?

as you know paul, i feel strongly on this subject as i believe its for the benefit of the site to provide a place for snow hunting and to promote a realistic, unbiased, outlook. and id have thought that the countrys top weather site should have a clear duty (?) to provide clear concise realistic information seperately (so it can be easily found) .

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Yes having a vote is a good idea as after all this site is only as good as the members make it so everyone's views are important.

A specific thread for cold seekers imo would likely drain the interest from the main Model Discussion thread and could cause some confusion as to where to post.

As it is currently we have a good mix of different views in the main thread which i feel makes it compulsive viewing.

If the majority of posters have cold preferences then it's ok as long as the content is sensible and relates to the charts.

Of course there is the moans/ramps thread for more emotive type posts anyway.

I believe we have the balance with model related threads about right to allow for all types of content so i am happy to keep things as they are. :smile: 

• Like 3

Posted

tbh i dont think those hunting for cold understand how bloody annoying it is for those of us who just want a realistic view, the bias sucks, they dont see it as a problem because they ARE the problem! lol.

you should be asking the unbiased what they think..lol

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 3

Posted

yes, there should be a seperate thread.

why?

because its misleading for many who view the forum who just want a realistic take on whats likely to happen. the cold bias would have you think we are on the verge of another 63/47 and this has been posted by 'non regulars' several times.

i note plenty of coldies have already voted to leave it as it is.... but they would, wouldnt they, because theyve turned it into a hunt for cold thread already! people who post unbiased outlooks are often questioned, called 'mildies' (actually , i see NO ONE posting pro mild in the way people are chasing cold).

is it ok as it is?.... in a way yes, because theres not much sign of anything really cold. but look how the place reacts when snow is imminant. you have to start a new thread for every run! it relegates unbiased, reasoned posts to be hidden amongst the fervour.

id also ask... why not start one? it costs nothing does it?

as you know paul, i feel strongly on this subject as i believe its for the benefit of the site to provide a place for snow hunting and to promote a realistic, unbiased, outlook. and id have thought that the countrys top weather site should have a clear duty (?) to provide clear concise realistic information seperately (so it can be easily found) .

Rather than having a seperate thread 'hunt for cold model discussion' you wouldn't mind if instead the model thread was left as it is and those looking for mild/ alternative weather get there own model thread?? :p 'The hunt for winter warmth', mind you there would only be you and a man and his dog posting in there lmao  :rofl:

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted

tbh i dont think those hunting for cold understand how bloody annoying it is for those of us who just want a realistic view, the bias sucks, they dont see it as a problem because they ARE the problem! lol.

you should be asking the unbiased what they think..lol

The reality is Mushy many members like extremes whether that is cold/snow, heatwaves, thunderstorms, severe gales via storms etc. Considering the lack of snow these past couple of winters, many members are hardly going to get excited mild, unsettled weather.

Anyway in my opinion many of the posts this winter in the model discussion thread have been negative due to the lack of cold synoptics and i've rarely seen anyone mention 1962/63 is about to be repeated. Sometimes bitterly cold F.I charts are highlighted but there is nothing wrong with this as it is still on topic and only highlighting a model run.

What causes the most problems in the thread is when someone says "no sign of cold/snow" when really they are referring to their location and not taking into account other members locations. The current pattern is a good example because whereas I have little chance of seeing snow this isn't the case for those in the N.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Best to leave it be - models indepth discussion thread was created for members who complained about the exact same thing.

Tumble weed blows through it on a daily basis.

At the end of the day 99% of us are amateur weather enthusiasts, everyone can see/read charts and information for themselves and decide which members are on the wind up/in a huff because no snow is showing for them.

The excitement regarding a favoured weather type should not be drained out of this forum.

It's Winter on a weather forum...who would have thought members with a cold bias would be hogging a model output discussion thread? :-)

In Summer it is the same with a warm bias except 800 less people.

Have a good day all!

I am off to enjoy the snow that has been falling on and off for the past 24 hours (blizzard conditions at times)

• Like 5

Posted

Rather than having a seperate thread 'hunt for cold model discussion' you wouldn't mind if instead the model thread was left as it is and those looking for mild/ alternative weather get there own model thread?? :p 'The hunt for winter warmth', mind you there would only be you and a man and his dog posting in there lmao  :rofl:

... only there is no one looking for mild weather, so it would be a dead thread.  not hunting cold doesnt mean youre hunting mild...

see...this highlights what i mean! :)

One could also argue Mushy that posters who think other posters are a 'problem', or are less tolerant or reactive to posts, are themselves potentially part of a 'problem'....

This thread is exactly for asking what people think, and thanks for letting us know how you see the folks who hunt for cold. Noted.

i love you too lorenzo :p

apart from me, do you seriously think that the unbiased are intollerant or reactive?

• Like 1

Posted

This a perfect example of what I and one or two others have been saying. "Those looking for mild/ alternative weather get there own model thread" is complete nonsense because nobody is looking for a mild alternative. The alternative some are looking for (including myself) is objective analysis (irrespective of preferences) and the toning down of cherry picked claptrap.

• Like 5

Posted

The reality is Mushy many members like extremes whether that is cold/snow, heatwaves, thunderstorms, severe gales via storms etc. Considering the lack of snow these past couple of winters, many members are hardly going to get excited mild, unsettled weather.

absolutely dave... i agree , but i think the bigger question is.... would it benefit this site to seperate those with a cold bias from those who prefer a realistic, unbiased view.

of course 'average' is boring, but if thats what is realistically what the outlook is, then wouldnt fi hopecasting give a misleading picture?... and if so does it matter?

anyway, ive had my say, ill try to stf up now which will please admin lol. i accept the way the votes going things are unlikely to change.

c'est la vie.

• Like 1

Posted

This a perfect example of what I and one or two others have been saying. "Those looking for mild/ alternative weather get there own model thread" is complete nonsense because nobody is looking for a mild alternative. The alternative some are looking for (including myself) is objective analysis (irrespective of preferences) and the toning down of cherry picked claptrap.

It is clearly nonsense (and hopefully also tongue in cheek), but for balance, it's fair to point out the fact that it's one post in 2 pages of responses, and that the rest aren't in that vein. In fact really it's only mushy's post above which is screaming about all this mildie vs coldie malarkey!

In winter the model thread does have a lot of people looking for colder weather, and a few posts/people take it too far, post silly things and so on (which incidentally we do try to deal with). That shouldn't need to blind you to the fact that the vast majority of posts are fine, although there's clearly a 'cold bias' due to that being what a majority people are interested in, there are many informative informative and balanced views being given in there all the time. It's easy to focus on the negative, it's also easy in that circumstance to become part of the negative. But in general the positive outshines the negative the majority of the time in the thread - even if it's not everyone's cup of tea, which is different to the thread being a 'problem', it's just a matter of taste. 

That kind of leads to another point made above: the in depth thread was made for those who wanted to stay away from the fast paced, sometimes rollercoaster like main model thread - it's there for anyone to use and always has been, but not many people do. Seeing as it seems that the majority would prefer the threads to stay as is, maybe those who'd like a change ought to consider using it more.

• Like 8

Posted

There is one other aspect that has to be taken into account with a "hunt the cold" thread. It would probably have to be divided into regions, at least north and south, to iliminate the probability of internecine warfare.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

... only there is no one looking for mild weather, so it would be a dead thread.  not hunting cold doesnt mean youre hunting mild...

see...this highlights what i mean! :)

i love you too lorenzo :p

apart from me, do you seriously think that the unbiased are intollerant or reactive?

LOL, I think that in answer to your question there are many folks who could exercise a little more patience in the model thread.

Part of the attraction for many I think is the unfolding drama and debate that happen in amongst the 'hardcore' model output analysis and removing those ups and downs ( biases)  would sterilize the thread.

This winter there appears to be quite a lot of the coldie vs mildie references on the thread, I think that this also creates friction.

Yep, it's fair to call it as it is and this is needed for balance and is important for the thread to retain integrity. Hopefully we can all find a way to do this without pigeon holing each other into separate 'teams'.

Posted

i note plenty of coldies have already voted to leave it as it is.... but they would, wouldnt they, because theyve turned it into a hunt for cold thread already!

Sorry, who are you talking about here? Wanting cold doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be biased and unreliable in your analysis. That it happens at all is annoying but inevitable given the sheer numbers involved.

Nobody believes a repeat of 1947 is around the corner just by reading the model thread. There are plenty of informative, balanced posts (regardless of weather preference) which give a good overview of what's likely to occur. I think the complexity of understanding the models and the terminology used is the biggest source of confusion for casual readers.

• Like 1

Posted

I don't see it as a mildies v coldies. And it shouldn't be that way.

I want cold weather in winter and heat in the summer.

The reality is quite a lot of the time up here anyway... It's windy, feels mild and is wet.

So when there's a storm incoming you tend to think, "great another storm"

Whereas snow and Ice days are more rare, they are bound to get more attention.

Can everybody make friends now please? This website would be more boring like others not naming names. Without all of the emotion!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Like I said, feel we have enough threads for MOD use already, the General MOD thread is where output is already discussed, be it warm, dry, wet, cold or other wise, the output remains the same for everyone.

Then there is the technical (In depth) thread for further analysis.

For everything else is the MOD banter thread.

This to me seem quite adequate for Model discussions.

• Like 2

Posted

I would agree with the post above.

The issue was/is that folk do not respect other folks' views. Simply post the charts give your view, use the ignore button if you don't like another post, and if you get really wound up then the report button for the team to investigate. Mind you I cannot pretend to be lilly white myself. Posting on the web does require care as we do not see the other person's facial reaction nor can we just make a quick comment to settle the other person down. So for all of us best we think before posting-not easy sometimes but no need for separate threads other than those we already have.

• Like 4

Posted

This winter there appears to be quite a lot of the coldie vs mildie references on the thread, I think that this also creates friction.

Spot on. I don't like using either term to be honest, and I really hope "hunt for cold" isn't catching on (it sounds like some weather-based Lord Of The Rings). In winter I like it cold and dislike mild but I never call myself a coldie.

It seems to me this vote has come about because of concerns in the model thread that interest in snow this week is taking preference over interest in the wind, but it's not like nobody is talking about it. There is also a specific forum where upcoming wind events are discussed in greater detail (and snow too when the occasion arises): https://forum.netweather.tv/forum/7-storms-severe-weather-discussion/. The model thread is more about gaining a general synopsis of what is likely to happen in the short-term and predicting what will happen thereafter. That's how I interpreted the "Stormy Period Inbound" tagline rather than seeing it as what should be discussed above all else.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Would not want to see the model threads diluted. To open a "hunt for cold" thread would mean the main model discussion would become very quiet and restricted to those with more technical knowledge, and there is already a thread for that anyway.

I, and I am sure many others who have a basic knowledge of charts, use the model discussion thread to learn and interact with the experts; by removing the emotion of people who love traditional winter weather,it could become a closed shop where people are scared to post. The Mods already do a fine job in filtering out the pure moans and ramps from those posts which have a clear bias but are still objective and actually discuss the model output.

I understand that anyone who prefers mild weather probably feels outnumbered on here, but that's just the way it is here; the vast majority are looking for snow and cold. I would suggest to those members a greater use of the ignore button when they see ramping that annoys them.

As for cherry picking, what's the problem with that anyway? As long as it is relevant to model output and backed up with a few comments, then it's fine. There's a number of posters who post the mildest chart they can find as well as people posting cold based ones, so I don't think either "side" can claim to be discriminated against here.

Finally, I think a "hunt for cold" thread would become a hunting ground for over emotional "winter's over" type trolling posts, and would lack in objective model discussion. We already have the moans and ramps thread for those, so why create another one?

Just my tuppence worth...... :)

• Like 4

Posted

. In fact really it's only mushy's post above which is screaming about all this mildie vs coldie malarkey!

i said i wasnt going to post here again, but you two, the two id expect to be accurate, have highlighted the very reason i get into arguments. :angry:  and youve highlighlighted my point! :rofl:

i have NOT stoked any mildie vs coldie 'malarkey' :angry:  ive not mentioned mildies in fact ive posted quite clearly that i dont think there is any 'mildie' camp, but my main point of contension here is being referred to as a mildie, for championing UNBIASED views... and this goes on throughout the md thread for anyone who doesnt follow the hunt for cold. unbiased doesnt equate to being a mildie... so please stop crediting me with causing trouble when its posts like those quoted inaccurately that do

and it adds considerable weight to the notion of having seperate threads :D

• Like 1

Posted

Sorry, who are you talking about here? Wanting cold doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be biased and unreliable in your analysis. That it happens at all is annoying but inevitable given the sheer numbers involved.

look at the stats... how many cold rampers have been right compared to the unbiased posters?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

In my opinion, 'Netweather' has survived all of this time (10 years + in my case) purely because it is more than a weather site, it is a community.   The MOD is the 'heart' of this site and, although heated at times, I am sure that most, if not all, can claim to have garnered a whole lot of knowledge regarding the 'workings' of the weather due to the input of a few dedicated and much more informed members.  (We all know who they are!}

Surely the huge membership of this site speaks for itself?   'If it aint broke, don't fix it!' :smile:

• Like 4