Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Would you like a 'hunt for cold' model thread?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

i said i wasnt going to post here again, but you two, the two id expect to be accurate, have highlighted the very reason i get into arguments. :angry:  and youve highlighlighted my point! :rofl:

i have NOT stoked any mildie vs coldie 'malarkey' :angry:  ive not mentioned mildies in fact ive posted quite clearly that i dont think there is any 'mildie' camp, but my main point of contension here is being referred to as a mildie, for championing UNBIASED views... and this goes on throughout the md thread for anyone who doesnt follow the hunt for cold. unbiased doesnt equate to being a mildie... so please stop crediting me with causing trouble when its posts like those quoted inaccurately that do

and it adds considerable weight to the notion of having seperate threads :D

To be clear, my post was not an accusation.

I was simply pointing out that across the model thread this Winter there has been a lot of reference to mild vs cold via many posts along the lines of

- coldies will like X or mildies will like Y, coldies won't like this run.  

The comment was on the thread, not your particular individual contribution.

• Like 2

Posted

Our default weather type is not cold in winter. So highlighting the default patterns in the NWP isn't really going to happen so much. When it is, it stands out. I think people should just realise that it's only the weather and it will do as it wants, irrespective of what the NWP shows. I wonder how many of those who get hugely disappointed support successful sports teams? life is like that. Some you win and most you lose. But get the losing into perspective and make sure you win the important ones. as for the weather - that isn't something you can affect so don't bother trying!

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 3

Posted

I don't think you can remove emotion from forums and secondly it would be a lot duller place if you did.

Part of the skill set you develop on here is the ability to spot biased and non biased posters.  It doesn't take too long to develop this skill and also your ability to read the models improves as you do so.  If you can't spot this then I'm not sure you will be getting much out of looking at the charts anyway.

The only issue I have on these boards is finding where the relevant threads actually are.  For example the Strat thread not being in model output and discussion seems strange.  There is such a lot of content on these boards that being aware of what is available can be an issue.  

So my main issue is navigation.  There are some great leaning threads discussing the models and a pinned link in the MOD forum would be great in my opinion.

• Like 2

Posted

as far as the poll goes, leave things as they are.

a thread title won't change the fact that in winter, the vast majority will be looking for wintry weather. anyway, it wouldnt be a "hunt for cold" its winter, its usually cold and we've had plenty if cold weather so far. very cold weather is only really a by-product of what "coldies" are really hoping for- SNOW.

So if (hypothetically) there was another thread, it should be called 'the hunt for SNOW'

• Like 2

Posted

I think the outcome of the vote is pretty clear-cut now - so no changes to the threads!

Thanks for all of the feedback and views though, lots of good and interesting points which will definitely be taken on board. 

Paul

• Like 4

Posted

Actually I think their shouldn't be an in depth thread as it just seems stagnant.  I think the mods need to shift more posts.  To many posts that don't even mention the models.  I think we should be encouraging posters to demonstrate some evidence for their posts.  

I still want more links to the learner section,  This area should be more dynamic and newer users should be made more aware of it.  There are some great resources there.  In particular the understanding ensembles thread is a great tutorial thread.  

Edited by Trom
  • Like 1

Posted

Just stop all people in the north posting about how it's going to be snowing for everyone.

Maybe a regional model thread would be better.

• Like 1

Posted

There is one other aspect that has to be taken into account with a "hunt the cold" thread. It would probably have to be divided into regions, at least north and south, to iliminate the probability of internecine warfare.

Not sure whether to accuse you of North, South, East or West bias with that comment! :p If I'm honest I think that some people need to grow up. Whining about the weather or acting like you've got some sort of entitlement to cold weather and that the winter "owes you" some cold weather or something just makes you look a plonker. I've only lived in the UK for 8 and a half years and I would day only 2 and a bit winters have been as I like them (cold and snowy), but I learnt soon enough that the weather will do what the weather will do and complaining isn't going to change anything.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Keep it as is we are a minority over here and would be invisible on a hunt for cold tread.

Edited by snowice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Keep it as it is as works well.No need to change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow

Hi everyone. Just wanted to say how much I love everything about netweather. It will come as no surprise that I cant read the models very well. A great much of what I read is lost on cross referencing ( and with just my trusty old samsumg that can be very long winded!) However, slowly up the mountain I climb and learning at my own pace I am! I have no preference to posters, (although the day knocker tells me snows coming I'll be stocking up on bread and milk lol) please leave the thread as it is. Its got me through the last 2 most difficult years of my life! To sum up its more than just a weather forum. Its a community full of like minded people and one of which im very proud to belong. (Abiet somewhat on the outskirts!)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

IMHO the model thread in winter is an absolute shambles!..of course I will got lots of hate for saying it ..but I think by the fact it is a no go area for a lot of members says it all really

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

As a cold fan I would feel more comfortable with a cold hunt thread.  Perhaps there could also be mild/heat hunt thread too?

Edited by Craig Evans
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

As a cold fan I would feel more comfortable with a cold hunt thread.  Perhaps there could also be mild/heat hunt thread too?

Why not? We want snow in winter and settled warm weather in summer so let us have both dedicated threads

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a metre of lying snow

Personally, I would like to see the model threads more split up along the lines of Pre T120 and post T120.  The reason for this? I'm sick and tired of trawling through competing posts saying "oh My God, what a snow fest!" and "put on the suntan lotion". - only to find that the charts they are looking at are for D20+!

Up to 5 days out there's an 80% chance of the model verifing ( mind you, I find some models don't verify at T0). The real amateur forecaster will try and correct for the 20% error whereas the "Chart readers" will ...

Post T120, the verification rates drop alarmingly to about 20% at T240, then it just seems a competition to see who spots the "trend". Really, am I interested who "spots" the trend first? or that the present cold snap is shown to fade away after D40, when it hasn't really got going yet? NO!

Anyway, when it comes to "if", "when" or "where will it snow" or even "how much is it going to snow" then you're talking about a 24 hour window at max not 240 hours!

Edited by Norway Nut

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

IMHO the model thread in winter is an absolute shambles!..of course I will got lots of hate for saying it ..but I think by the fact it is a no go area for a lot of members says it all really

lol... im told that IM the only one who thinks like this... the poll shows clearly 33% (a significant number) of members agree. theres clearly a difference between those who hunt cold and those who want realism. of course when theres no cold the md thread is pretty much functioning as usual. when theres potential, its ridiculous.

anyway, the decision has been made, :)

• Like 1

Personally, I would like to see the model threads more split up along the lines of Pre T120 and post T120.  The reason for this? I'm sick and tired of trawling through competing posts saying "oh My God, what a snow fest!" and "put on the suntan lotion". - only to find that the charts they are looking at are for D20+!

Up to 5 days out there's an 80% chance of the model verifing ( mind you, I find some models don't verify at T0). The real amateur forecaster will try and correct for the 20% error whereas the "Chart readers" will ...

Post T120, the verification rates drop alarmingly to about 20% at T240, then it just seems a competition to see who spots the "trend". Really, am I interested who "spots" the trend first? or that the present cold snap is shown to fade away after D40, when it hasn't really got going yet? NO!

Anyway, when it comes to "if", "when" or "where will it snow" or even "how much is it going to snow" then you're talking about a 24 hour window at max not 240 hours!

I agree with that although i'd to to T144.

Edited by Dr. Astro

Posted

I came here expecting some discussion about the models and all i see is people whinging. There wasn't any of this nonsense back in my days on Net-Weather. It's a model discussion thread, people should be discussing the models without any bias towards warm or cold in the model discussion threads - discuss facts and projections - not sure why there has to be a team hot and team cold competing when we should be simply 'reading' the charts and giving thoughts and insight.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I came here expecting some discussion about the models and all i see is people whinging. There wasn't any of this nonsense back in my days on Net-Weather. It's a model discussion thread, people should be discussing the models without any bias towards warm or cold in the model discussion threads - discuss facts and projections - not sure why there has to be a team hot and team cold competing when we should be simply 'reading' the charts and giving thoughts and insight.

Im confused.

You say its a model thread that should discuss the models without any bias.... Have you not read the model thread? Its totally biased in favour in winter of cold options. Thats why this threads question was posed. And it has been cold biased strongly in winter in the ten years ive been here. Less so in summer because theres less interested

• Like 2