Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Would you like a 'hunt for cold' model thread?

Paul

Posted

Following on from a brief discussion in the model thread, just opening this to gauge opinion and get some feedback. 

In short - would you like to see a return of the 'hunt for cold' model thread, alongside a more general model discussion?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

The problem is the use of the model thread for emotional responses, If it's a moan it should be in the moaning thread, nowhere else; even if it makes a cursory reference to a model in an attempt to justify it,

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks Paul for starting this thread but personally I like the model discussion thread as it currently is.

• Like 7

Posted

Don't change IMO, the MOD simply reflects the feelings of the people that use it, nothing wrong with that, why would so many freely volunteer to use it otherwise?

One other idea perhaps would be time related threads e.g. beyond 10 days out, 5-10 days, next 72 hours etc - this might force a more rounded debate without forcing coldies out.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

I only come on here in winter to find out if there's some snow coming - and in the summer to find out if there's thunderstorms - each are as impossible to predict in one's own back yard but chasing the potential is fun.

Not interested in a moaning thread (there's enough of that in this world) - just want to judge for myself from the opinions of seasoned NW watchers... 

Commenting and predicting the weather is most definitely part of life here in the UK on our small Island, it's part of our national vocabulary.

The model discussion thread is and always has been a volatile place for opinions - I like it that way.  To sort the wheat from the chaff is a skill learnt over time both from the posts on forums and model watching what ever level you think you are at.  Keep the model discussion thread the way it is - just delete the one liners occasionally (-: 

Edited by Pixel
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Personally I am in favour of the status quo. Whilst there are arguments from time to time, I think trying to segregate things could lead to other issues.

• Like 3

Posted

Agree with most on here. I certainly think more could made of the technical thread, as often that is rather quiet. As it stands, the ramp threads, the general model discussion and technical are good. 

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

Keep things the way they are imo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Think there are enough model related threads already without causing confusing an/or spreading the debate more thinly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Split the model thread between the techies and a popular thread for everyone else , afterall the mod thread does intimidate a lot of folks. !!!

There's two threads anyway for that.

Keep the threads the way they are. No one would post in the general model thread if the cold aspect was taken elsewhere in the winter.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I think it should stay as it is, but I can understand why this question has to be asked. To much bickering at times. It can get rather annoying sometimes.

• Like 1

Posted

Keep things as they are. Any "hunt for cold" should be kept in other threads (like the "Winter 2014/15" one).

I'm not against people talking about "good" or "bad" charts based on their personal weather preferences as long as they can also describe the charts in unbiased, objective terms. It's cherry-picking I don't like.

Posted

Just a quick comment. .I first came across this site about 2 years ago.. i dont have any model reading background but i love to read all the more educated people on here. Its been wonderful and i personally wouldn't change it for anything..many thanks and keep up the great work..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Warm summers Cold Frosty winters

Keep it as it is it works on the whole and would be empty in winter without the coldies input, in summer it can be very sparse and would just end up much the same.

Posted

I see no reason why the thread shouldn’t work very well under the current format. The fact that most posters have a preference for cold and snow should be irrelevant providing objectivity in analysing and discussing the model output is retained.  The problems arise bccause much of the time objectivity goes out the window to be replaced by cherry picked emotional rhetoric which skews the thread.

But I don’t think another thread a good idea because it will just be the same thread under a different name minus a few posters  This would leave the latter in a little used thread and I assume most wouldn’t bother.

The only plus side of a new thread would be it would have an honest title.

I must be off now to look for a mild update.

• Like 4

Posted

The hunt for cold will always be the underlying nature of the model thread in the winter and to remove that would rip the heart out of thread. The bickering goes on every winter on here but I have to say this year is the worst I can remember. I think it should left as it is but the moderating needs to get stricter. On the whole the moderating is very good but not enough posts are moved to the ramps / moans thread in my opinion, there are more posts than ever being made by those who seemingly can't hide their frustration as we edge towards the middle of winter and things have not panned out as well by now as many of us were expecting a month ago (snow / cold wise). If the mods get fed up moving the same posters posts across, ban them for a week.

Most annoying to me are the few on here that constantly HAVE to find spoilers in any potential cold spell and when/if it becomes nailed on change tack to start posting about when it will breakdown and how short lived it will be. Personally, I find that sort of mentality very very difficult to comprehend. However, as nauseating as these posters are to me, as long as it is done with reasonable objectivity it is fine but there are plenty of times when they cross the line IMO (often just at the point when the cold spell is nailed and they then start looking for spoilers) and because they have posted a chart or 2 it is left. Although, I know that makes it a grey area as such. There is the world of difference between those (albeit, very few posters) I have described above and those who are just a bit more pragmatic and level headed than some and are simply pointing out pitfalls in an evolving potential cold spell. There is an ignore feature and it works to a degree but of course you inevitably get to see their posts when others quote them, so it's not perfect.

As for those with little knowledge but keen to start posting on the model thread, there is a learning thread and many of the well respected posters on here now would have spent their early days beefing up their knowledge on there before venturing onto the model thread. If some can't be bothered to that as well, fine but keep to lingering on the model thread and posting in other threads, your choice.

What the forum has very little of however is genuine trolling, remarkable for a forum of this size.

Edited by s4lancia
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I don't think that we need two threads - most use the current output thread to look for the type of synoptic that they want to see in their particular area. The fact that, for a lot in winter, that type of synoptic is one for producing snow is neither here nor there - it may skew and bias the model output but c'est la vie. The vast majority of posters can still see past that and other synoptics do hold interest, but not as much.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

I would prefer it as it is, it works well when people are respectful and objective, I think the only thing I would change is the title: stick to the the basics of "Model Output Discussion" and the time or part of the season, but avoid descriptors which include a particular type of weather arriving. We are all going to turn up to check it anyway, but it makes it more inclusive to leave it up to the models to show what the weather will be, rather than the title.

• Like 1

Posted

I actually think what you have done with the storm thread is probably the best thing

The MO thread in winter IS 'the hunt for cold thread' simply because of the sheer number of people who want to see cold weather. At least 80% of those people will disappear between April and November

As has been said though the emotional posts and one liners should be moved en masse to the Moan thread and I think the mods should do this far more often

• Like 1

Posted

keep it as  it is we know were  to go if there bad  weather in bound!!

• Like 1