Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

North West England - Weather chat

Below zero here (-0.5) but just had....RAIN!! LOL....how can this be? The uppers must be -5C or something.

Fog cleared about an hour ago.

Not sure why people are so surprised by this, it happens a lot in continental climates. It doesn't matter if is below freezing at the surface and uppers are superb if there is a boundary layer in the atmosphere that is above zero then any snowflakes that pass through it, will melt.

Ask anyone about this from North America, they frequently see this.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For goodness sake, will people stop hanging on to every nuance of what some silly app says?! It will be down to the here and now when it gets here.

Snow this morning in Saddleworth.......will there be more on Tue/ Weds??

Hello follow north westerners, I'm just south of the city of Preston ( Walton Le dale) I've been watching the forum for a couple a years, but never posted but trying to understand what is going on, th

Posted Images

Getting quite concerned met office have not issued any warnings for tue yet

The national weather services have been very reserved over this cold spell. Rightly so I say as they used to issue red warnings for these sort of spells that ammounted to nothing. I think them issuing when required it good. So far they are not needed. They have to Monday afternoon to think about Tuesday.

Cheers.... Thinking of heading over this afternoon....

Join The Snake Inn page on Facebook, some new owners are putting some nice pictures on and keeping you updated on road conditions. Some1 even suggested they get a live webcam which would be ace. I know its not exactly the summit of The Snake Pass, but it's always nice to have a nosey

• Like 2

Not sure why people are so surprised by this, it happens a lot in continental climates. It doesn't matter if is below freezing at the surface and uppers are superb if there is a boundary layer in the atmosphere that is above zero then any snowflakes that pass through it, will melt.

• Like 2

I will hold judgement until after the 12z, but like I said earlier

The band for Tuesday dispite what the PPN charts show looks

Like fragmenting before it reaches us, this is what the forecasts

Showed this morning, hense why no warnings have been issued

C.S

Thanks for the info...I was beginning to think it was the weather gods having a laugh!

That's because they expect any snow to be insignificant, the Synoptics look great but the MetO only expect a weakening band of precipitation.

Andy

• Like 1