IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Game over for me here I think. Oh well I'll go find some snow tomorrow

post-21944-0-97080800-1421484741_thumb.j

Posted

Game over for me here I think. Oh well I'll go find some snow tomorrow

Wouldnt go by that app....says its 4c here, its actually 0c dew -2c, and light snow atm....

Posted

After the thunder snow we had before it's now turned to rain/sleet/hail

Posted

I think any precipitation falling during daylight hours away from elevated areas will mostly be hail/rain/sleet and any snow away from elevation will fall after dark. It's a tad disappointing as up until last night  the NW looked to be in a prime position for lowland snowfall today.

Posted

Just had to nip up to the shop, it is baltic out there, I blame SparkleS she was talking about cake so I had to go and buy some and got cold in the process.

BBC weather has just been on, Helen Willets, looking at their graphics no snow for my area  

Happy Birthday itsnowjoke

ty jan hope you get some snow

Posted

I know it's not the most accurate but it is currently sunny and places more northern then here are getting sleet.

Whereas bbc/met apps still say snow.

So I think atm it is being more realistic for me

Posted

I think any precipitation falling during daylight hours away from elevated areas will mostly be hail/rain/sleet and any snow away from elevation will fall after dark. It's a tad disappointing as up until last night  the NW looked to be in a prime

position for lowland snowfall today.

What do you think the cut off elevation for snow during daylight hours will be?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I'd imagine that anyone above 200m will see falling and settling snow although it could be a bit slushy.

As always altitude will make the difference but also the urban heat effect will play a part and rural areas could see lying snow even at modest altitudes.

Above 300m I expect that it's snow all the way and if the showers carry on lining up as we've seen so far today then Pennine areas could be looking at several inches of lying snow by the time this set up clears through overnight.

Posted

Anything over 200m but with your elevation you should still some snow in many of the showers, settling snow is another matter though. This evening onwards is looking good, again the more inland and elevation you have the better.

• Like 1

Posted

Showers building in liverpool bay on more southerly trajectory.... Could get interesting soon.... Thunder snow?

Posted

Im not convinced I will see any snow today, the tiny bit from last night is now melting slowly.

Was really looking forward to seeing something decent today but apart a snow shower this morning I think the rest has been sleet/hail

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

This is the best chorley had to offer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

We are at 1000ft and it continues to snow and hail , a few drips off the house but nothing major.

Just come back from taking my daughter to work in Bury and conditions on the A56/M66 were quite bad and down to a single lane.

The main road up the valley is reasonable but I'd imagine that the hillier side roads are impassible.

Some of the falling snow I on the way down at around 8am was as heavy as I've seen for a long while and, although not snowing at the moment, more showers are expected.

Posted

Just come back from taking my daughter to work in Bury and conditions on the A56/M66 were quite bad and down to a single lane.

The main road up the valley is reasonable but I'd imagine that the hillier side roads are impassible.

Some of the falling snow I on the way down at around 8am was as heavy as I've seen for a long while and, although not snowing at the moment, more showers are expected.

No s**t sherlock just look at the radar. lol :)

Posted

just looking at the rain today radar. Showers from the west seem to easily cross the Pennines and into Yorkshire, but when its the other way round they die out dramatically! :nonono:

• Like 2

Posted

just looking at the rain today radar. Showers from the west seem to easily cross the Pennines and into Yorkshire, but when its the other way round they die out dramatically! :nonono:

Because of the Jet Stream.