Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I could stomach missing out on that (just about) as long as it ultimately ended up far enough East ultimately but not too far south so it propped the block up and gave us a long draw long drawn out Easterly from Russia!!!!

Yeah but Easterlies are often bone dry for us but for the odd snow flurry. Showers do this against the Pennines.  :wallbash:

Let's just this once have the front stall just past us and then return giving 36h snowfall.  :D

• Like 2

Posted

Yeah but Easterlies are often bone dry for us but for the odd snow flurry. Showers do this against the Pennines.  :wallbash:

Let's just this once have the front stall just past us and then return giving 36h snowfall.  :D

Do you remember February 1996? that was a quality stall, I was off School for 3 days! Over 16 inches of lying Snow & 10 foot drifts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Agree with the stall bit, surely a powerhouse like feb 1991 would deliver for you, even feb 09 when I was in Salford was only 6 miles short and im reliably told it delivered big style here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Do you remember February 1996? that was a quality stall, I was off School for 3 days! Over 16 inches of lying Snow & 10 foot drifts!

I was in midlands then and got a good 6 inch fall.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I'm too old to remember anything - even my age. LOL

I remember missing out and getting snow/rain or just rain in South Manchester while all around me and in Lancashire and West Yorkshire they got buried.

So sickening looking at the snow piled up on TV and all we had was big puddles.

Not sure if that was one of them times or we joined it that time.

I remember some huge snowfalls in 70's though.

And we used tog et a lot more Northerlies than now, really long fetch with embedded troughs even an elusive Polar low.

I remember not that long back , maybe 20 years (That's not long when you're an old fart) it was forecast dry for our region and it was a bitterly cold starry night when I arrived at my friends, not a cloud in the sky.

When I went to leave two hours later it was snowing heavy sticking easily to all surfaces with about an inch already down!

We got about 4 inches and not even the main roads had been gritted.

I stayed out to watch the cars sliding along the main road at 10 MPH LOL.

I think the council and MetO must have got it big time after that debacle.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted

Agree with the stall bit, surely a powerhouse like feb 1991 would deliver for you, even feb 09 when I was in Salford was only 6 miles short and im reliably told it delivered big style here.

This is just particular to my location.

If it is a front pushing up from the SW against a cold block to the NE it just so happens that we have a very narrow Goldilocks zone if the tilt is too W/E while if it is too SW/NE we get the shadow effect from Pennines and can get snizzle while places like Salford only 10-15 miles away get heavy snow.

Even on all ppn charts you will likely see a little dry spot where I am LOL

Of course we can do well and have got lucky sometimes but more often than not we stay dry or get snow/ to rain.

PS we were even supposed to get heavy rain this (now yesterday) afternoon and stayed bone dry and that was coming from the North.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I imagine he is talking about the South for Sunday. Looks like a shortwave and associated front might scrape the South and give a few inches of snow if they get lucky.

Actually. The South of the North West of England is in the sweet spot for Tuesday & Wednesday with a *HIGH* risk of *SIGNIFICANT* snowfall.

• Like 1

Posted

Cant sleep.... Lots of showers on radar still.... Looking snowy sky out west.... Bet itll go north of me again.... Temp 2c dew -1c....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Only 1.7c here 0c DP which should lower through the day as the air gets colder,  plenty of ppn out west :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Morning all, no access to outside temp info at the moment, but a quick head out the door tells me it's breezy and dry with scattered cloud, feels chilly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

Well i expected downgrades as thats always the case, but even im astonished by how bad they are we,ve gone from an all out snowfest next week to nothing at all in the blink of an eye....utterly pathetic performance from all the models, they just cant handle winter synoptics in this country....anyone with more knowledge than me know why this is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

An area of precipitation is going to move across the region today, some will get snow! I'll be in the woods on a hill so hopefully I'll see a bit :).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well i expected downgrades as thats always the case, but even im astonished by how bad they are we,ve gone from an all out snowfest next week to nothing at all in the blink of an eye....utterly pathetic performance from all the models, they just cant handle winter synoptics in this country....anyone with more knowledge than me know why this is.

Yeah not looking good. But I'm concentrating on the snow chances in the next few days, I think a break from the models is needed.

• Like 1

Posted

Temp gone up by 2 degrees and it's raining :(

Posted

There is enough of that crapped in the model thread without bringing it here

Anyway Met office App update....... lots of snow forecast for today until Sunday. ..... Some heavy small amount of sleet temps no higher than 2 then 1 then 1 then 0 and finally 0

That's an impressive cold spell either way

• Like 3

Posted

Anyway Met office App update....... lots of snow forecast for today until Sunday. ..... Some heavy small amount of sleet temps no higher than 2 then 1 then 1 then 0 and finally 0

Agreed! Can't be doing with toys out of the pram! Snow can develop out if nowhere! aslong as the colds in place which it is! Edited by cfallon
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

yep i noticed it lookes like 24 hrs non stop tomrrow almost, but i do expect that. im not getting too hung up on mon/tues, we can clearly see things are changing too fast to keep up

Edited by swainclubber

Posted

Sleet falling now... Tamp falling again, breeze has picked up also. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

dry here

15011609_1600.gif

15011612_1600.gifestin

interesting

Posted

Turning more to snow now, temp fallen back under 2c, evaporative cooling taking affect :)

• Like 1