Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

just posted this in the mod thread they really wind me up

Tut tut mods feel free to remove I do not post on here much prefering to sit on the fence and watch from behind the scenes and leave it to the most experienced on here,i do feel that the mod thread is fast becoming the south thread,when a person from the north west comes in and gets slated for commenting the north west is gping to have loads of snow,i do feel the mods need to get a hand on this it is very much becoming imby yet again.Thanks 

Yes - users online in 4 figures - then I saw the snow potential for th SE and London - the country will grind to a halt :D

Ian

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Good luck to everyone for snow this weekend!!!

Think I'm gunna take a good 24 hour break from these forums(unless I get snow) as I am only forecast sleet/rain showers tomorrow and Saturday. And by the sounds of it were going to miss out on Tuesdays fun.

I got myself so worked up/excited last night I couldn't sleep!

How sad am I lol.

Any showers that fall on Friday and Saturday will be of snow. The uppers are -6/-7C. The dewpoints are more supportive of snow on Friday, but let evaporative cooling do it's magic on Saturday and I feel you'll be pleasantly surprised.

post-8895-0-62946100-1421347274_thumb.pn

Edited by Backtrack
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Windy here but nothing to strong and probably a bit lower speeds than last night.

As for the snow forecast for Pennine high ground this evening, either the ground it's falling on is much higher than mine or, as seems to have been the case on numerous occasions this winter, the colder air is further north than me.

It is a bit sleety but at 3.3c, the wrong side of marginal.

Tomorrow into the weekend looks better for snow prospects but I'll wait to see how Diane Oxberry deals with it before I get the sledge out.

Posted

Windy here but nothing to strong and probably a bit lower speeds than last night.

As for the snow forecast for Pennine high ground this evening, either the ground it's falling on is much higher than mine or, as seems to have been the case on numerous occasions this winter, the colder air is further north than me.

It is a bit sleety but at 3.3c, the wrong side of marginal.

Tomorrow into the weekend looks better for snow prospects but I'll wait to see how Diane Oxberry deals with it before I get the sledge out.

Don't listen to that mild ramping fool!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Don't listen to that mild ramping fool!

Well I listened and she was in her "at least we can be thankful that we live in the crapiest part of the country for snow" mode.

Very uninspiring really and I just hope that in the next few days she's saying "well we certainly didn't expect to see that much snow across the region"

Posted

Well I listened and she was in her "at least we can be thankful that we live in the crapiest part of the country for snow" mode.

Very uninspiring really and I just hope that in the next few days she's saying "well we certainly didn't expect to see that much snow across the region"

We don't though, TYPICALLY, we CAN be one of the snowiest! Get a cold NW'erly and we have our very own North Sea. Cornwall, Devon, S Wales, all worse off.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Not looking great for Preston again - marginal as aways - sigh

your not the only one :cray:

0600 HOURS 0700 HOURS 0800 HOURS 0900 HOURS 1000 HOURS 1100 HOURS 1200 HOURS 1500 HOURS 1800 HOURS 2100 HOURS 0000 HOURS

SUN 0300 HOURS Weather Conditions 13.png 9.png 7.png 7.png 7.png 10.png 14.png 18.gif 24.gif 2.gif 7.gif 2.gif Temperature (°C) 4°C 4°C 4°C 4°C 4°C 4°C 4°C 2°C 1°C 0°C 0°C -1°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

well that didnt work....

Posted

Any showers that fall on Friday and Saturday will be of snow. The uppers are -6/-7C. The dewpoints are more supportive of snow on Friday, but let evaporative cooling do it's magic on Saturday and I feel you'll be pleasantly surprised.

attachicon.gifviewimage.png

-6/-8 850's isn't conclusive for snow. Sleet/wet snow with hail yes, but wintry showers don't deliver the goods as they provide just that, a wintry mixture. The synoptics throughout January have shown this time and time again, otherwise the NW would have seen alot of lying snow by now, the warming effects from the Irish Sea are just too strong unfortunately.
  • Like 1

Posted

-6/-8 850's isn't conclusive for snow. Sleet/wet snow with hail yes, but wintry showers don't deliver the goods as they provide just that, a wintry mixture. The synoptics throughout January have shown this time and time again, otherwise the NW would have seen alot of lying snow by now, the warming effects from the Irish Sea are just too strong unfortunately.

Disagree. The air is much colder this time around, we've seen -5's/-6's delivering a sleety mix, but anything below this is fantastic for snowfall.

The frontal snowfall the other week only required -3's/-4's but obviously that's different. Away from the immediate coastline, it'll be snow.

Edited by Backtrack
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I've had a couple of inches from -5 850s and a Nw'ly flow before now....the last case being a couple of Decembers ago. I'm 50m asl btw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Bit of rain, sleet & snow in the mix.... Bet we don't see much snow.

post-9615-0-67617200-1421350114_thumb.jppost-9615-0-73809600-1421350159_thumb.jp

Posted

Disagree. The air is much colder this time around, we've seen -5's/-6's delivering a sleety mix, but anything below this is fantastic for snowfall.

The frontal snowfall the other week only required -3's/-4's but obviously that's different Away from the immediate coastline, it'll be snow.

Well we'll just see, I'll hold you to it! 😃

To put some perspective even on the other, (better) side of the Pennines we are expecting a wintry mixture down to lower levels where the effects of the onshore wind are still pronounced enough for warming.

Hopefully you guys do see snow as it means it'll snow to low levels here 🌚

The NMM doesn't favour accumulations over the next 48 hours over the NW low ground.

post-8968-0-48979700-1421350217_thumb.gi

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 4

Posted

Normally hype from the BBC is at a high when it comes to snow or a cold snap. I usually ignore it and we get nothing. This time around its all very low key and down played so I have bought grit and a spade.

• Like 5

Posted

I've had a couple of inches from -5 850s and a Nw'ly flow before now....the last case being a couple of Decembers ago. I'm 50m asl btw.

What have you seen in the last month though?

Not much considering in -5 850's even here has seen sleety rain ☔

SST, strength of wind, time of year, intensity all play its part.

NW airflow don't have a general rule like say a straight northerly may have.

NMM friday 12pm

post-8968-0-93348000-1421350549_thumb.gi

Sat 12pm

post-8968-0-32710400-1421350594_thumb.gi

Inland high ground over the next 48 hours.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

wind has died down at the moment saw some sleet about an hour ago. just wait and see if we get snow over the next few days

At least a walk up Rivington Pike should allow me too see the ice on the moors, even if there is no snow :)

Posted

Normally hype from the BBC is at a high when it comes to snow or a cold snap. I usually ignore it and we get nothing. This time around its all very low key and down played so I have bought grit and a spade.

that for me is post of the week pmsl
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

NMM friday 12pm

attachicon.gif15011612_2_1512.gif

Sat 12pm

attachicon.gif15011712_2_1512 (1).gif

2 inches of heavy wet snowfall from this scenario...

Rrea00120111217.gif

and uppers barely -5....I remember it well, it caused traffic chaos

Rrea00220111217.gif

Posted

NMM friday 12pm

attachicon.gif15011612_2_1512.gif

Sat 12pm

attachicon.gif15011712_2_1512 (1).gif

that explains the downgrade for my location...... weekend is now looking poor for our region.... I'm 200 m ASL and forecast rain and sleet......