North West England - Weather chat

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For goodness sake, will people stop hanging on to every nuance of what some silly app says?! It will be down to the here and now when it gets here.

Snow this morning in Saddleworth.......will there be more on Tue/ Weds??

Hello follow north westerners, I'm just south of the city of Preston ( Walton Le dale) I've been watching the forum for a couple a years, but never posted but trying to understand what is going on, th

Posted Images

What causes the rain to skip around Manchester area? I remember a similar scenario when Wales had that red warning for snow about 2 yr ago and the band of snow coming up from the South broke up around Manchester...It was so frustrating. Luckily this time we appear to be missing out on boring old rain

The rain shadow effect, from the Welsh Mountains probably.

Edited by James M

Eh am I missing something?- I live less than a mile from some on here in bootle near to walton and crosby and the winds not that bad just a little puff no sign of gales yet and no rain-is it skirting around bootle for some reason?

On a different note I was working in clevedon on Monday and Tuesday and there was snow to the left and right but not there and I could just imagine the posts on their forum.....dejavu it never snows here we just get lots of rain why is it snowing there but not here wtc even the taxi driver said it just rains here loads of it we never get snow-sounds familiar?

• Like 1

Amazes me how a small area of mountains (UK definition) can alter the progress of weather systems thousands of feet higher.

It's not exactly the Andes lurking on the other side of the Conwy but the effect is similar.

• Like 4

Amazes me how a small area of mountains (UK definition) can alter the progress of weather systems thousands of feet higher.

It's not exactly the Andes lurking on the other side of the Conwy but the effect is similar.

it doesn't take much elevation to make the clouds dump their moisture. Has a similar effect from the east.

haha this made me laugh.. +1 :D 

But totally true it's amazing how it impedes both wind and rain, from all directions, even north.

• Like 1

Eh am I missing something?- I live less than a mile from some on here in bootle near to walton and crosby and the winds not that bad just a little puff no sign of gales yet and no rain-is it skirting around bootle for some reason?

It is raining here. Am sat in conservatory and can hear it on the roof. The gusts have died down a bit now. Do t know why you havent got any

Pretty calm here also, just a breezy evening.

Wind must have shifted very slightly as rain shadow virtually gone and it's getting through to us now

Yeah after an hour or so worrying that due to being in a rain shadow we may become dryer than the Atacami Desert, normal service is resumed.

Certain a wild night though.

My house is buried in the hill side so we are really sheltered but I can here it roaring in the trees on bank side lane above us

We've probably got a few more hours of this before a temporary calm down tomorrow.

Then another batch of high winds will move across the region later in the day, possibly accompanied by snow so it could certainly be an interesting journey home from work tomorrow.

• Like 1

Winds gusty at times here but really quite sheltered compared to coastal areas and those facing directly south.  Will probably see more action when Rachel stomps off tomorrow and winds turn more westerly.