Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Model thread seems to be in meltdown about deep cold spell next week-something to do with MJO entering phase 7 (something it hasn't done since November 2010). Apparently there is correlation between MJO entering phase 7 and deep NW Europe cold.

Anyway they (the mod thread writers) are predicting strong possibility of snow and ice- a coldfest for coldies.

• Like 4

Model thread seems to be in meltdown about deep cold spell next week-something to do with MJO entering phase 7 (something it hasn't done since November 2010). Apparently there is correlation between MJO entering phase 7 and deep NW Europe cold.

Anyway they (the mod thread writers) are predicting strong possibility of snow and ice- a coldfest for coldies.

Worth keeping a keen eye on..

15012212_1318.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Been in the model thread certainly sounds exciting but whether it will come off is another matter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

As for tomorrow's storm, for our coasts it has the potential to be quite serious, because as the point when the winds are strongest, the feed is directly from the west.. that's quite rare in storms as usually the strongest winds ride up the southwest flank.. interesting therefore there could be a bit of a coastal flooding. 

• Like 1

Posted

Worth keeping a keen eye on..

15012212_1318.gif

Looks for good for IMBY, I must say this projected cold spell really has sprung up on us and could deliver quite a bit of snow for much of the NW over the next 7-10 days.

ZoomButt.gif

Edited by Hocus Pocus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow

Will it be bad for us SP?  I've seen reports of it being bad up north and down south and us in the middle getting off fairly lightly compared to other regions but then others had us down for the worst!  confused lol

Posted

0c dew -2c chilly breeze, just did marathon walk around town and back....proper winter weather... Snow cover still intact up here, doesnt look like it snowed in town.... Hope this weekend gives most people a good dumping, esp for snow starved.... Had really pretty snowbow earlier but couldnt take photo as had numerous places to be....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

The view from my mum & dads house in Donegal this morning !! Its about 3 inches thick and is still snowing now. They have had lightening during last night and this morning

post-19399-0-37778400-1421237291_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

The view from my mum & dads house in Donegal this morning !! Its about 3 inches thick and is still snowing now. They have had lightening during last night and this morning

Wow-that looks really cool....jealous!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Wow-that looks really cool....jealous!

Im well jealous too !! Wish I was there !! They have really had a pasting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Will it be bad for us SP?  I've seen reports of it being bad up north and down south and us in the middle getting off fairly lightly compared to other regions but then others had us down for the worst!  confused lol

Latest model outputs suggest we'll be in the southernmost strongest area of winds. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow

Thanks SP1986.  I've been watching the threads on next week too.  Looks like it will be an exciting few weeks!! lol

Posted

Are the Met Office taking the Swearing AGAIN with their Warnings? Coastal areas of the North West not under a warning.

EDIT: I stand corrected, they've just issued a separate warning for coastal parts of the Region.

Edited by SnowLover2010

Are the Met Office taking the Swearing AGAIN with their Warnings? Coastal areas of the North West not under a warning.

If the winds were forcasted 100mph+ i'd be paying attention.

But 50-60mph, and max gusts of potentially 70mph, i'm not sure what the big fuss is about.

That's just... Windy with rain?

• Like 2

Posted

If the winds were forcasted 100mph+ i'd be paying attention.

But 50-60mph, and max gusts of potentially 70mph, i'm not sure what the big fuss is about.

That's just... Windy with rain?

The straight westerly coupled with the speed of the winds will be a factor, especially as it will be a direct crosswind on all N-S routes.  70mph gusts on their own may not be unusual for our part of the country, but as SP mentioned when you take the wind direction into account as well theres potential for disruption.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

This looks fun

post-8895-0-84516500-1421242424_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Candles at the ready.

Probably overdone. Can't see it being THAT widespread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Its getting overcast here for some reason. According to my BBC weather app, it won't rain until 9pm.  It does look good for tomorrow as the storm hits our shores. By the weekend I think we may see more snow in the form of showers and next week possibly even better. :smile:

Just looked at the rain-radar and the warm front is actually over the Irish Sea, half way mark between here and Ireland.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I thought the weekend and next week had been downgraded

i don't think so according to these:

prectypeuktopo.png

GFS^^

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

GFSP ^^

Quite a opposite in fact. :smile:  I think everything is possible next week TBH.

:cold: :cold:

The reason why I keep posting this to keep us hoping that snow is on the way. I know its not going to happen but its like having a lottery ticket from the shop just waiting to match it by the time nears.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 3