Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Finally below zero here. Much of mainland Ireland away from the southwest is getting snow at the moment., which is encouraging.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81819-wales-weather-chat/?p=3131361

Edited by Snowy L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunder and more snow

Aye and look how slow it's moving... barely moved the past few hours according to the nw radar app

Edited by DemonDaz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Aye and look how slow it's moving... barely moved the past few hours according to the nw radar app

Well considering it's not forecast to arrive for 18 hours, I'd say that's good.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

MetO are very bullish about lack of snow. Not even a sniff of a warning, not even low risk. You have to be prepared to be disappointed in such circumstances.

I have never had snow when they haven't forecast it but I often haven't had snow when it has been forecast so my expectations are very low.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunder and more snow

MetO are very bullish about lack of snow. Not even a sniff of a warning, not even low risk. You have to be prepared to be disappointed in such circumstances.

I have never had snow when they haven't forecast it but I often haven't had snow when it has been forecast so my expectations are very low.

Same here mate, the positives of this are that the front is moving slow, temps look ok for an overnight dumping ( within -5 isotherm and DP) it could also be a case of BBC and MP not wanting to dive on this like a fat kid on cake due to uncertainty maybe or not wanting to overhyped a call.. I know they have the matrix to list a low confidence in something but still. Even the most experienced on here have struggled with snow calls and have said it could be a now cast jobby. At least if it is snow, the pennine snow shield can't stop it for us mancs mucka, just gotta wedgie my local salford scrotes to stop 'em nicking the white stuff, that'll teach them for tucking pants into socks!! Edited by DemonDaz
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Same here mate, the positives of this are that the front is moving slow, temps look ok for an overnight dumping ( within -5 isotherm and DP) it could also be a case of BBC and MP not wanting to dive on this like a fat kid on cake due to uncertainty maybe or not wanting to overhyped a call.. I know they have the matrix to list a low confidence in something but still. Even the most experienced on here have struggled with snow calls and have said it could be a now cast jobby. At least if it is snow, the pennine snow shield can't stop it for us mancs mucka, just gotta wedgie my local salford scrotes to stop 'em nicking the white stuff, that'll teach them for tucking pants into socks!!

LOL got a few local scroats around here too matey, wearing the uniform and doing the walk.

I expect we will see a dusting, the timing is very good though it would of been even better coming in the midst of a frosty night. Like you say latest temp, DP values and upper air seem just on the right side of marginal and looking at the radar the ppn is sliding N/NE up the country which is much better direction than straight E or SE for us.

So for once every marginal aspect seems to be doing its best to give us snow.

I know what you are saying about MetO but it is less than 24h way and the whole pointing of having a risk matrix is so people can determine the risk rather than assuming there is n risk at all with no warning at all.

I think some of the lack of warning is actually due to them expecting ppn to be light and so it shouldn't settle on roads, especially main roads and also it isn't expected until later in the evening so no rush hour worries either.

Earlier today I was thinking snizzle but now I'm thinking light snow and a dusting with 2 or 3cm cm in favoured spots, and a little more on high ground. 

That said the ppn though light should be quite prolonged given a) how slow the front is making progress and B) the acute N/NE direction of the band will leave us under it for longer as well, so again everything going the right way which is usually the total opposite of what happens.

Of course now I have opened my big gob it will all turn to S***

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Jeez its cold this morning considering cloud cover still here at midnight. Clear skies now and it bone chillingy cold

Posted

Met office have downgraded snow forecast for here. Last night it was forecast to start at 6pm today, now has been pushed back to 9pm, with snow and rain forecast for tomorrow morning instead of just snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Even colder atm than yesterday, -3.5c under clear skies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Just looked at the rain-radar map, it look as though it reached the far west of Llyn peninsular, Wales. 

Edit: Its fragmenting. :(

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Edited by pip22

Posted

Still cloudy here, doubt the temp dropped below 0c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Looks too light to me. Not sure if enough rain/snow is actually going to pass over us.

Posted

00z NMM looks good for all of us. Initially falls as snow north of the mersey. It shiws sleet after that for anyone aouth if morcamb bay

• Like 1

Posted

Looks too light to me. Not sure if enough rain/snow is actually going to pass over us.

Don't expect anything from that first front. The one with all the ppn is currently out in the Atlantic and should combine with the first front somewhere over North Wales/Irish Sea during this evening.

Posted

Local bbc forcast ties in with the NMM this morning. Snow to rain

Posted

Don't know why Manchester is not forecast snow from the BBC. My area of Liverpool is forecast an all snow event for about 20 hours except for just 1 hour where there is sleet. 99% of the time if conditions are right in Liverpool, conditions are cold enough for pretty much everywhere else in the region, particularly inland.

Posted

I just read on two snow shadow effect will stop East Manchester's snow.

NOT AGAIN.

But can somebody please tell me what this is?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Just watched the regional forecast and it seems to me it shows snow all the time for me. I think it will  be transient on the coastal strips though.

Just have to wait and see.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

I just read on two snow shadow effect will stop East Manchester's snow.

NOT AGAIN.

But can somebody please tell me what this is?

Manchester city centre is forecast snow tonight According to the BBC website

Not that is of much use in these situations

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Don't know why Manchester is not forecast snow from the BBC. My area of Liverpool is forecast an all snow event for about 20 hours except for just 1 hour where there is sleet. 99% of the time if conditions are right in Liverpool, conditions are cold enough for pretty much everywhere else in the region, particularly inland.

Think it may be to do with the rain shadow effect and the fact that ironically although the south-easterly flow benefits us, it may be a hindrance to those near the Pennines. We should get the Best of the precipitation from the fronts, being the furthest west.
  • Like 2