Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Quite confident we will have snow here. The SE flow ahead of the front will ensure the surface cold remains in place and will reduce the influence off the sea. Evaporative cooling should play a part as well. I remember in the last few years such setups which although we were forecast rain, have delivered accumulating snow. A number of times in March 2006,23/12/2009, 13/01/2010, 18/02/2010, , 11/01/2010, 25/01/2013, 13/02/2013, 11/03/2013, 22/03/2013 are just some I can remember. Most recently the Boxing Day front turn to snow with evaporative cooling aided by the south-easterly flow.

I hope so Chris R.

Posted

GFS 12z precipitation charts show the first front staggering a lot more than in previous runs.

The main front seems to zip through though, which I wouldn't be surprised to see change. Less intensity probably, but hopefully front 2 will slow down over what is being shown.

To be honest though, I think we'll just see non-sticking snow on Wednesday for most. I really like to see -8C 850 temps for proper snow and we ain't going to get that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I don't know whether it updated or not the BBC weather says snow from 5pm.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Still a mix of sleet and snow for Manchester. However, the snow is 90% likely to fall but the sleet only 50/60%. We have to wait till 8pm now rather than 5.

Might be better if the front moves in during the night may be slightly cooler which could tip you the right side of marginal??

Edited by liam79
  • Like 2

Posted

Well ive just had a look for my area it says light snow on Wednesday...fed up now thought it was gonna be something good :(

I also just watched the met office video and it doesn't look great for my area

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

The BBC weather just now issued a weather warning for this region:

YELLOW WARNING OF SNOW AND ICE for parts of Scotland and northwest England.

Updated 19 January at 12:28

Valid from 0500 on Tue 20th Jan to 1500 on Tue 20th Jan

A band of rain, sleet and snow will arrive into western parts of Northern Ireland during Monday evening, then spread east across all parts overnight. Rain and sleet is likely to fall onto frozen surfaces in places, leaving some icy roads, especially as clearer conditions return later in the night. In central and western parts, there is also a risk of localised snow accumulations of 1-2 cm at low-level, and 5 cm or so on higher ground.

The public should be aware of the risk of difficult driving conditions and travel disruption.

• Like 2

Posted

The BBC weather just now issued a weather warning for this region:

YELLOW WARNING OF SNOW AND ICE for parts of Scotland and northwest England.

Updated 19 January at 12:28

Valid from 0500 on Tue 20th Jan to 1500 on Tue 20th Jan

A band of rain, sleet and snow will arrive into western parts of Northern Ireland during Monday evening, then spread east across all parts overnight. Rain and sleet is likely to fall onto frozen surfaces in places, leaving some icy roads, especially as clearer conditions return later in the night. In central and western parts, there is also a risk of localised snow accumulations of 1-2 cm at low-level, and 5 cm or so on higher ground.

The public should be aware of the risk of difficult driving conditions and travel disruption.

That's for before the front arrives though?
  • Like 1

Posted

That's for before the front arrives though?

The warning pretty much says it for NI. I'm pretty sure they will edit out for us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167#extra-uk-content

Posted

The warning pretty much says it for NI. I'm pretty sure they will edit out for us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167#extra-uk-content

I see, it's the warning that's hanging over Scotland at the moment, same description and same issued time. All bbc warnings are issued by the met office usually.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well the snow is only 24hrs away and no warning so you can only assume its a non event. A few places may get a covering but I think its safe to say I'll be able to make it into work!

Posted

Euro4 has it making progress inland slower. To be fair if the event isn't until tomorrow night the warning doesn't need to be till tomorrow morning. Sure it's only us weather geeks that actually pay attention to them anyway.

post-21944-0-06644800-1421689794_thumb.j

post-21944-0-39364300-1421689802_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

Euro4 has it making progress inland slower. To be fair if the event isn't until tomorrow night the warning doesn't need to be till tomorrow morning. Sure it's only us weather geeks that actually pay attention to them anyway.

The second image is from the old run

Posted

Oops silly me

post-21944-0-84253700-1421690136_thumb.j

post-21944-0-56792400-1421690158_thumb.j

Edited by robbo88