Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Cold front about to hit, temp 8.3°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Its looking reasonably good I would say for people who normally do less well for snow, places like Liverpool and Preston and the Cumbrian Coast have a reasonable chance of seeing some snow next weekend, Its almost certain we will get a Northerly but its longjevity and potency that's in question and the nuances like troughs cropping up plus slight variations and timing re wind direction and uppers, all which are crucial in these type of setups, definitely a cold weekend, but cold and dry with sharp frost, cold and showery but just the wrong side of marginal at the time of precipitation or cold with heavy convective snow showers? An interesting weeks modelling coming up for the North West.

Agree with you here, however it can be a real pain to get decent snow showers for us here on the wirral, normally end up with sleet or hail showers, with totally flat land, surrounded 3 sides by water, right next to liverpool city centre and also protected by the bloody pennines when we get a belting easterly. Having said that I do like the look of the outputs toward the end of the month for us all to do ok this time around. If the trends keep up it could be quite a potent north to north westerly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Its looking reasonably good I would say for people who normally do less well for snow, places like Liverpool and Preston and the Cumbrian Coast have a reasonable chance of seeing some snow next weekend, Its almost certain we will get a Northerly but its longjevity and potency that's in question and the nuances like troughs cropping up plus slight variations and timing re wind direction and uppers, all which are crucial in these type of setups, definitely a cold weekend, but cold and dry with sharp frost, cold and showery but just the wrong side of marginal at the time of precipitation or cold with heavy convective snow showers? An interesting weeks modelling coming up for the North West.

i dont think we will get any, northerlies are crap for here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Agree with you here, however it can be a real pain to get decent snow showers for us here on the wirral, normally end up with sleet or hail showers, with totally flat land, surrounded 3 sides by water, right next to liverpool city centre and also protected by the bloody pennines when we get a belting easterly. Having said that I do like the look of the outputs toward the end of the month for us all to do ok this time around. If the trends keep up it could be quite a potent north to north westerly.

Yes, I only do well out of North Westerlies in the upcoming setup as the wishbone effect does for me with Northerlies, I still prefer Easterlies overall though to be honest or even lee North Easterlies can be stonking for here.

Posted

this one could turn out to be decent though, tightly packed isobars with an unstable airstream could produce some decent troughs sweeping down from the north. Like the trend from the gfs tonight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Depends on the Nuances though, a slight deviation with a Westerly component but not one with enough of one to mix out cold uppers might just do the trick.

Posted

thanks ,fly at two pm tomorrow from Manchester ,looking forward to it :)... cheers mate :) .. thanks will do :)..

have a great time a a safe journey see u when you get back:)
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunder and more snow

I grew up in Prestwich so used to ride all over blackley,crumpsall then moved to whitefield/unsworth so when it snowed we had plenty of sledge spots in Heaton Park and various golf courses. You could almost guarantee at least one snow day from school. From what I've read we'll end up with the winters of yesteryear as patterns inevitably repeat and it's funny how you can have nothing where you are and go a few miles or even meters in some cases and it's a winter wonderland!

Here's to hoping for a good dumping in salford before winters done :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Just had a belter of a hail shower, covered everything and was very heavy for about 5-10 minutes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Hopefully a nice day to get out and about although I'd imagine that the deep snow still sat on the South Pennines will be of the slushy type by now and not the best conditions for walking.

As for next weekends forecast northerly, IMBY I'd be happy with a few dry frosty days and let members nearer the coast who have missed the snow so far join in.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Dont need to comment about the charts this morning, I think

You get the picture frost, ice, snow.....

C.S

• Like 2

Posted

Hopefully a nice day to get out and about although I'd imagine that the deep snow still sat on the South Pennines will be of the slushy type by now and not the best conditions for walking.

As for next weekends forecast northerly, IMBY I'd be happy with a few dry frosty days and let members nearer the coast who have missed the snow so far join in.

Thanks, I hope your right, it's been pretty crap here so far. The end of the month is still looking good for us coldies. Edited by Polar Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Dont need to comment about the charts this morning, I think

You get the picture frost, ice, snow.....

C.S

Other than, if the models are still showing the same at T48 we'll start to believe.

Unfortuntately we've been here many times before and it's all ended in tears but your right in that it's looking very wintry, certainly by this time next week and possibly for longer than the bog standard two day cold spell.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Other than, if the models are still showing the same at T48 we'll start to believe.

Unfortuntately we've been here many times before and it's all ended in tears but your right in that it's looking very wintry, certainly by this time next week and possibly for longer than the bog standard two day cold spell.

Indeed Ian, the let downs have been very frequent, however I

Take alot of encouragement when john holmes,can see the

Possibilities, and yes lets hope we can get more of a couple of

Days out of this

Also to the newbies on here dont worry about the uppers at this

Stage.

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

I still dont understand the fact we can get snow with uppers of warmer than -5 but cant when temps are colder. And ibwouldnt comsider myself a newbie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Looks like we're in business

post-19090-0-88157400-1422096448_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

Looks like we're in business

Yes indeed, there is some rather good potential being discussed in the MOD thread at the moment. Fingers crossed :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

How long do we have to wait? Lol

Posted

Indeed Ian, the let downs have been very frequent, however I

Take alot of encouragement when john holmes,can see the

Possibilities, and yes lets hope we can get more of a couple of

Days out of this

Also to the newbies on here dont worry about the uppers at this

Stage.

C.S

Agreed, it's nice to see the likes of John and others who offer an unbiased, non IMBY perspective looking confident of an upcoming wintry spell.

Lets just see out it pans out but I certainly hope that it's a nationwide event and that all the coldies on here get in on the act.

As for today, a clearance from cloudy cold murk to sunshine and partly clear skies has just come through but not until a heavy sleet to snow shower crossed the valley leaving even moderate levels with another covering and no doubt added to what was already lying on the tops.

Posted

How long do we have to wait? Lol

To get a clear idea of whether it's going to happen, early to middle of the coming week.

For any cold to sink this far south, probably Thursday should see us under more wintry conditions and then more so towards weekend.

However a true northerly, although bringing cold does not guarantee snow, certainly to inland parts of our region and showers tend to hug the coast or even stay out at sea but embedded troughs can bring snow as can the odd polar low which, although rare are certainly not out of the question on a long feed northerly and can be quite potent in what they dump.

Having a beer at airport ,how's the snow looking ??:)...

Sod the snow, how's the beer tasting.

• Like 2

To get a clear idea of whether it's going to happen, early to middle of the coming week.

For any cold to sink this far south, probably Thursday should see us under more wintry conditions and then more so towards weekend.

However a true northerly, although bringing cold does not guarantee snow, certainly to inland parts of our region and showers tend to hug the coast or even stay out at sea but embedded troughs can bring snow as can the odd polar low which, although rare are certainly not out of the question on a long feed northerly and can be quite potent in what they dump.

Sod the snow, how's the beer tasting.

very nice I think I'll have another soon :)...
  • Like 1