Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

very nice I think I'll have another soon :)...

Have one for me while your at it.

I'll settle up later.

• Like 2

Posted

Have one for me while your at it.

I'll settle up later.

and me :)
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Its a nice sunny day here too

• Like 1

Posted

Northerlies (whishbone effect) don't usually deliver here unless there is a switch to a North Westerly element to move the precipitation more inland - something akin to Dec 2010.  If it's a straight northerly that turns to a North Easterly, my expectations of any snowfall locally will be lowered to zero to save any disappointment.  Usually just stays cold without the snow.  A direct easterly tends to feel bitter but will need embedded frontal activity to make it over this side of the pennines, showers tend to evaporate over the tops.  That's when we the Yorkshire folk laud it over us, because they get bucket loads of it lol

Edited by dodgeredee
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Northerlies (whishbone effect) don't usually deliver here unless there is a switch to a North Westerly element to move the precipitation more inland - something akin to Dec 2010.  If it's a straight northerly that turns to a North Easterly, my expectations of any snowfall locally will be lowered to zero to save any disappointment.  Usually just stays cold without the snow.  A direct easterly tends to feel bitter but will need embedded frontal activity to make it over this side of the pennines, showers tend to evaporate over the tops.  That's when we the Yorkshire folk laud it over us, because they get bucket loads of it lol

Nov 2010, Feb 1991, Feb 2009, I was only here for the 2010 one but there is 3 examples where an Easterly / ENE'rly has absolutely battered this place.

Posted

Hello!

Long time reader but I've never posted!

I live in Mossley near Ashton under Lyne and love the snow.

I am fascinated by the weather but don't understand the models at all so I'm hoping to learn a little.

Snow just melted here, we've had nearly a week of it being around which has been great! Snowman still standing, just.

• Like 4

Posted

Hello!

I am fascinated by the weather but don't understand the models at all so I'm hoping to learn a little.

Snow just melted here, we've had nearly a week of it being around which has been great! Snowman still standing, just.

First things first when your looking for snow, you need to know your altitude, Mossley is very rugged in terrain, its highest point is very high, over 1000ft, yet some parts are only around 500 or 600ft.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

To get a clear idea of whether it's going to happen, early to middle of the coming week.

For any cold to sink this far south, probably Thursday should see us under more wintry conditions and then more so towards weekend.

However a true northerly, although bringing cold does not guarantee snow, certainly to inland parts of our region and showers tend to hug the coast or even stay out at sea but embedded troughs can bring snow as can the odd polar low which, although rare are certainly not out of the question on a long feed northerly and can be quite potent in what they dump.

Sod the snow, how's the beer tasting.

Thanks Ian for your reply :) i wont hold my breath though for here lol but will see! Been a lovely spring like day here, getting cold now, first time my partners done a spot of gardening, planting baby conifers at the front of the house, i did tell him it might be frosty and cold next week lol...

very nice I think I'll have another soon :)...

Enjoy your beer! And enjoy your holiday, hopefully loads f snow when you come home :)

Posted

First things first when your looking for snow, you need to know your altitude, Mossley is very rugged in terrain, its highest point is very high, over 1000ft, yet some parts are only around 500 or 600ft.

Thanks for that! We are at one of the higher parts I think, next to the football ground which is 200m?

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks for that! We are at one of the higher parts I think, next to the football ground which is 200m?

Not sure where that is, ive only been here 4 years, that's 660ft so on reasonably high ground compared to the average in England but pretty low compared to other areas around you, that road where the Hartshead Inn is is over 1000ft.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

As an IMBY Point of view I will bank the GFS 12z at T99,A Bitter NW with lots of snow showers through

The Cheshire Gap

BANK

C.S

Edit in fact the T99 Chart looks good for most of the region

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Wednesday night and Thursday looks very good for our region even the coast would see lying snow, much less marginal NW'ly than the recent ones should it materialise, PLEASE HAPPEN.

• Like 1

Posted

Not sure where that is, ive only been here 4 years, that's 660ft so on reasonably high ground compared to the average in England but pretty low compared to other areas around you, that road where the Hartshead Inn is is over 1000ft.

Yes we are down from there but higher than some parts of the village.

Just trying to understand what all the fuss is about with next week! Hoping it means more cold and snowy weather for us!

Edited by Snow way!

Posted

Yes we are down from there but higher than some parts of the village.

Just trying to understand what all the fuss is about with next week! Hoping it means more cold and snowy weather for us!

Guaranteed colder weather but whether its cold enough for snow and whether snow will fall to any great extent in any specific area wont be known for a while yet.

Posted

T96-T144 Make no bones about it,bitter NW and plenty  of snow showers across the region

it is what happens after that which is open to debate,I would take a guess and say a Northerly will probably set 

up with the possibility of the wishbone effect taking place,however also the chance of troughs heading N-S

Dispite some of the regular moans and groans from some in the MOD thread I think at this stage the region is

Heading into the most wintry period seen this season

C.S

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Even us on the coast should do ok this time if charts like this verify, and not too far off at 108hrs!

post-23289-0-63519800-1422121656_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Well looks like winter has one more sting left in her tail yet.

Some bitterly cold NW'erly winds bringing snow showers to much of the region, then we see a low running down the east coast which will bring eastern areas their beloved North Sea snow showers

All in all, it's looking fantastic for everyone. What a brilliant output to end a brilliantly sunny day.

• Like 3

Posted

Some bitterly cold NW'erly winds bringing snow showers to much of the region, then we see a low running down the east coast which will bring eastern areas their beloved North Sea snow showers

All in all, it's looking fantastic for everyone. What a brilliant output to end a brilliantly sunny day.

Don't forget the channel low as well,hopefully that will please the southerners

Hopefully all regions can see snowfall in the next 7-10 days time

C.S    

• Like 1

Posted

Hope it doesn't downgrade, because it's certainly looking interesting for the North West region.  BBC Weather presenter Tomasz Schafernaker even reported bitter winds from the artic - so much less marginal for snowy prospects.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes mate the best looking cold shot of the winter coming up I hope. With more people seeing snow, the feed this time around is a stronger looking north to north westerly flow so a few nice troughs may pop up to make many people happy.

Posted

Hello!

welcome were all a bit bonkers but were harmless :)

Posted

C.S

I wish more people was like you. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

C.S    

Sod them, greedy buggers. Get all the sunshine and heat in Summer whilst we get dross. I'll see to it the channel low doesn't materialize!

Yes mate the best looking cold shot of the winter coming up I hope. With more people seeing snow, the feed this time around is a stronger looking north to north westerly flow so a few nice troughs may pop up to make many people happy.

We'll see mate, 4-5 days away yet, plenty of time for it to be watered back down to the -4/-5 850's which ultimately give rain/hail.

I wish more people was like you. :)

:p

P.S. Only joking with the above haha.

• Like 3

Posted

Lets all pray the ecm continues the party!

• Like 1