Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Funny how you're all berating the MetO, when they said that accumulations to lower levels would be a struggle. SM the great was expecting amber warnings to be issued, I don't see any finger pointing towards him. :)

5cm+ here :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The Met-office forecast called for sleet and snow to move in last night, which is what happened, they also suggested totals would lead to a light covering especially on hills. Furthermore the Met-office forecast suggested that the precipitation today (after 00:00) would be of rain, sleet and snow.. so in those regards they were right. 

The warning was a little bit out, though some places covered in the warning have got the amounts suggested. 

That said the BBC forecast did suggest that snow would be hit and miss, with not everywhere getting it.. so really the forecast wasn't that far out. Just the warnings were geographically skewed, but then it was a nowcast event so it was difficult to call.

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1

Posted

The Met-office forecast called for sleet and snow to move in last night, which is what happened, they also suggested totals would lead to a light covering especially on hills. Furthermore the Met-office forecast suggested that the precipitation today (after 00:00) would be of rain, sleet and snow.. so in those regards they were right. 

The warning was a little bit out, though some places covered in the warning have got the amounts suggested. 

That said the BBC forecast did suggest that snow would be hit and miss, with not everywhere getting it.. so really the forecast wasn't that far out. Just the warnings were Geographically skewed, but then it was a nowcast event so it was difficult to call.

The warning called for accumulations above 150m...... Seems right to me

Massive flakes here now!

Is it still accumulating up there?

Posted

Met office got my area completely wrong! It had me down for a light snow shower at 3 am. I git this and it's still coming down

Sure is! Still heavy very powdery

post-13241-0-24327900-1421841372_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Only caveat is that if it was accumulating above 150m coastal areas like Merseyside should not have been included in the warning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

The snow shadow effect is stopping any snow from reaching here. Marvelous. :(

Posted

Yellow Warning of Snow and Ice for North West England

Yellow Warning of Snow and Ice for North West England : Lancashire, Blackburn with Darwen, Greater Manchester & Cheshire East valid from 1205 Wed 21 Jan to 1200 Thu 22 Jan

• Like 1

Posted

Yellow Warning of Snow and Ice for North West England

Yellow Warning of Snow and Ice for North West England : Lancashire, Blackburn with Darwen, Greater Manchester & Cheshire East valid from 1205 Wed 21 Jan to 1200 Thu 22 Jan

Was about to post that myself, just come through on emither, does this mean we are going to get more?? It needs to get a lot colder if we are to get it sticking!

Posted

Was about to post that myself, just come through on emither, does this mean we are going to get more?? It needs to get a lot colder if we are to get it sticking!

Depends on altitude I think! I have complete whiteout here! Even though they have ploughed twice!

Posted

Depends on altitude I think! I have complete whiteout here! Even though they have ploughed twice!

i think the emphasis will be on the ice tbh

Posted

I am sitting in my office in Bury and honestly cannot believe what I can see out of the window, snow flakes which must be about 3cm's across which are covering everything.  I have also phoned home to find there has been at least another 2 inches on top of what fell overnight and it is still coming down.  I am very glad I have a 4WD or getting home could be hazardous.

• Like 1

Posted

Oh well, living in Salford means I can expect nothing when I get home, has pretty much stopping now in Manc CC and none looks to have settled anywhere, shame as there were some HUGE flaks coming down!

Time to wait for the next possible cold period I see murmurings about in the MOD thread!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well there's been heavy snow here but I'm just a little bit too low for it to stick (175m). Disappointing but i can easily go for a walk in the hills.

Posted

Had non stop snow all morning here and it really intensified about 45 mins ago. Just taken these pictures now at my house. I went to North Manchester Hospital this morning and was completely snow free when you got to Hollinwood....its a different world. Temp currently 0.6oC

post-3616-0-17067300-1421843634_thumb.jp

post-3616-0-35517100-1421843649_thumb.jp

post-3616-0-20439200-1421843665_thumb.jp

post-3616-0-34351300-1421843680_thumb.jp

post-3616-0-33872100-1421843694_thumb.jp

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Not as cold as the last few days have been and the bit of snow we had overnight has now melted, 3.2c DP 1c. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

very rare for area around me to be the place where the snow rate peaks!! so often fizzles out but the radar is very clear in that it is getting more intense around these parts as it tracks up, good stuff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Freezing Rain here. :(

Stopped now. :)

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunder and more snow

Oh well, living in Salford means I can expect nothing when I get home, has pretty much stopping now in Manc CC and none looks to have settled anywhere, shame as there were some HUGE flaks coming down!

Time to wait for the next possible cold period I see murmurings about in the MOD thread!

Sorry griff74 bugger all here bud :( flits between rain sleet and snow