Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Quick blast up Beacon Fell this morning - view looking toward Parlick Fell (Nr Chipping) from the trig point.

post-6879-0-07689500-1421758728_thumb.jp

873ft asl - surprised how snowy it was in places.

Nice and quiet after the weekend masses.

Ian

• Like 2

Posted

Ahhhh ya beaut!

Nice - its later and later such a slow moving front.

Ian

Posted

Nice picture Ian, I helped swell the masses up there on sunday when I was up there with the kids :)

Thanks only a Blackberry shot.

Lot of sledge marks near the visitor centre "hill" - bet it was well busy.

Nice and fresh at 09:30 am

Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunder and more snow

You guys in manchester had the best of the snow from the Irish sea over the weekend. Only fair we in the west get some now isn't it?

Got naff all in my part here, it's like mother nature must have had something nicked from the local wildlife here!! I did get to see some snow falling which was nice. As for rain shadow I can't see that applying to us here with this system coming from the west (but a powered snow shield when coming from the east as the pennine cause a shadow effect) as a weather system approaches the mountain etc let's say from the east then as it reaches the peaks it condenses and dumps(precipitates) there and Crosses over to the west side which creates the shadow as the air has little moisture left. (I'm on page 144 so I apologise if anyone has said this) it's more complex than that but that's the basics of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunder and more snow

And after that post I took a bin bag out t' bin and some pants tucked into socks degenerate has nicked my trusty red sledge!!! I bet if we get a good dumping some terd goes door to door trying to sell sledges or hides is the park with an oversized coat asking everyone if they want to buy a sledge!!!! GRR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Hope the ppn peps up a bit as it's looking quite patchy! Getting it's act together over N Ireland now, just need it to move eastwards!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

And after that post I took a bin bag out t' bin and some pants tucked into socks degenerate has nicked my trusty red sledge!!! I bet if we get a good dumping some terd goes door to door trying to sell sledges or hides is the park with an oversized coat asking everyone if they want to buy a sledge!!!! GRR

Sorry to hear about the sledge! At least now you can guarantee that it'll snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Thanks only a Blackberry shot.

Lot of sledge marks near the visitor centre "hill" - bet it was well busy.

Nice and fresh at 09:30 am

Ian

Fairfield looks a great walk at the moment!

post-4955-0-46883000-1421760633_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

What's this 'snow' event then? Just had a text from work with a weather warning, I thought it was all off

Posted

I don't think anyone really knows how this weather front is going to behave, seems very erratic. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

What's this 'snow' event then? Just had a text from work with a weather warning, I thought it was all off

it seems as though, as I suspected yesterday, we are in 1 of the best places for a few centimetres tonight.

South-easterly surface flow, delayed arrival time, just looks really good for a change. :-)

• Like 3

Posted

I don't think this area will get any, too near the coast and low lying, approx. 23m asl,

Didn't get a chance to observe the charts yesterday and then going by the MOD it was a none starter,

but maybe that was for darn sarf, got confused in MOD as it was all for mainly IMBY so I didn't go into any further

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Might see a lot of Oscar and Costa falling too

Lol! going to be a Fantastic evening. A great game, "hopefully", and snow. :-)
  • Like 1

Posted

its started. (im a hairdresser) All the clients coming in saying "were forcast loads of snow" "oh its gunna be bad tonight, thick snow".

and i just have to pretend theyre right, when realistically i wont get nothing.

im in the weather warning but am forcast grey clouds all night.

Posted

it seems as though, as I suspected yesterday, we are in 1 of the best places for a few centimetres tonight.

South-easterly surface flow, delayed arrival time, just looks really good for a change. :-)

Don't get me wrong I really do hope it does snow, and you have just given me hope

but from what I was reading it wasn't going to happen, MOD was gloom and doom, been

at work so missed out on any upgrades or info. Fingers crossed for later then

• Like 2

Posted

Chief forecasters statement in the warning....

Details remain uncertain regarding the extent and amount of snowfall, in particular the northward extent of snowfall into northern England (indeed some areas may miss the snow altogether). Therefore it is likely that this warning will be updated in the light of new information and may be upgraded to Amber should confidence increase sufficiently.

In other words some people will get a snowfest, but east Manchester will miss out.

Don't be greedy, I have no snow forecast, just dark clouds.

JEALOUS!

The warning extends east across manchester into glossop and practically into shefield hows that missing east Manchester?

• Like 1

Posted

Met forecast just has cloud for here but am hopeful we will get some and hyde, as they are computer generated.... Just depends on what the system actually does....how far north and organised it becomes.... Buxton is probably your best bet to be the sweet spot....

• Like 2

Posted

Don't get me wrong I really do hope it does snow, and you have just given me hope

but from what I was reading it wasn't going to happen, MOD was gloom and doom, been

at work so missed out on any upgrades or info. Fingers crossed for later then

I think that was just a Southerners thing, I was always quite optimistic about tonight.

The south-easterly flow will make all the difference as it has in the past, I'm 99% sure of that. :-)

Also nice to see we have the Met on board now with the warnings and a very encouraging assessment by Ian Ferguson on another thread this morning.

• Like 2

Posted

?

Where it says this....

(indeed some areas may miss the snow altogether)

And if you look at the forecast maps most of the snow go's around East Manchester.

I want to be wrong mind..

Posted

Latest met office update now has IMBY almost totally dry, minimal precipitation either side of midnight - nothing before or after that. Been heading in that direction all day after every update, I expect it to remain dry but cloudy here.  

Posted

Even though I'm not in the warning area I'm hopeful of seeing some snow falling at least, as I said earlier the front seems to be very erratic. The northern half of the front is intensifying and moving eastwards. Here's hoping!

post-9615-0-50791700-1421763025_thumb.pn

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 1

Posted

Even though I'm not in the warning area I'm hopeful of seeing some snow falling at least, as I said earlier the front seems to be very erratic. The northern half of the front is intensifying and moving eastwards. Here's hoping!

attachicon.giffront.PNG

Jesus that's starting to look meatier than a BK double whopper!

• Like 3