Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Snow shadow effect is where mountains or big hills stop snow falling on the opposite side to the direction the snow is coming from. As the clouds rise above the mountain or hill it dumps fast but then coming back down the ither side it stops dumping and the effect is snow shadow effect

• Like 3

Posted

Apologies if I am being really dumb.

But I live on the west of the peaks. And the wind is coming from the south east so it has to pass over them.

But the rain/snow is coming in off the Irish see which is mainly lower elevation then I am. As I'm at 150m.

And this mixture stops the precip east manc?

post-21944-0-31313800-1421742465_thumb.j

Edited by robbo88

Posted

Just watched the weather for here and the front arrives a lot later than originally planned if it ever gets here at all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

The BBC just updatedarrow-10x10.png and put the snow further back to 11pm. I give up, at this rate we wouldn't get anything from it. It just kept on pushing back. :(:cray:

Never mind there is always another chance couple of weeks time, if not next Winter. :)

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

BBC and meto weather apps and their websites are automatically generated, I wouldn't pay any great attention to them. This is a now-casting situation, look at the radar and outside your window tonight and we shall have answers!  :D

I'm just praying the ppn actually reaches us (it looks quite good right now) and it comes evening/overnight not day time, so coldest temps ahead of the system!

Edited by i luv snow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

I wouldnt worry about it pip. When it gets here it will be here

Posted

-0.7 after a low of -2. Mostly cloudy so hopefully the temperature stays below 1-2c today.

Scotland snow warning taken down by met office. You would think it's now or never if they're going to put a snow warning up.

Edited by Snowy L

Posted

-0.7 after a low of -2. Mostly cloudy so hopefully the temperature stays below 1-2c today.

Scotland snow warning taken down by met office. You would think it's now or never if they're going to put a snow warning up.

I have a feeling that although they expect some snow, they just don't expect it to be disruptive. That said, they usually consider 2-3cm disruptive, so! Let's see if they update the warnings this morning... or whether they just don't expect any disruptive this side of the Irish sea any longer.

Their 'worded' forecast definitely mentions snow this evening, tonight and rain,sleet, snow tomorrow so that's something!

Edited by i luv snow

Posted

Some times unexpected things happen, maybe this will be one...

but it would be unexpected,  I think most of the excitement about the event is because the models originally showed it as as a major one, but even as early as last Thursday they were backing off.    The meto warning matrix has low probability, the media arent getting exited and the charts currently dont look spectacular.  

Hopefully some will get slow, but I hope we avoid the usual, meto, models, bbc, model thread bashing if we dont because for days they havent really bought it.

And  as has been said lots of times, obsessing over a weather app is fairly pointless, the worst are gimmicks that give same weather for a huge area and hardly ever update, the best update regularly and are useful for average joe to use to see if its likely to be rainy tomorrow, they are not designed for weather enthusiasts to use to predict snow in a very marginal uncertain situation.   Does anyone really think Accuweather have access to info the meto dont, or that they have an army of forecasters pouring over the charts and making predictions for every tiny location? 

• Like 2

Posted

Today:

A cold and frosty start with sunny spells for most. Western parts turning breezy, with outbreaks of sleet and snow across Northern Ireland edging eastwards. Further snow then likely across the northwest, with rain at times in the far southwest.

Tonight:

Cold with outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow edging eastwards. Snow most likely across the north, but perhaps to parts of central and southern Britain later too. Risk of ice.

Wednesday:

Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow will gradually fade away to sunny spells. However wintry showers remain possible across the southeast into the evening. Staying cold, especially across central parts.

At least they mention snow later, tonight and into tomorrow!

Posted

12 hour all snow event now. That will do nicely. :) 9 hours away from the start, either the met office are confident of a non-event or they're getting massive headaches as to whether it will sleet or snow. Hopefully it's the latter.

post-20773-0-89881300-1421747143_thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted
Warnings re tonight-tomorrow will be issued this morning. Wales, Midlands and parts of N at greatest risk of disruptive snow. 

Quote from Ian F from Mod thread... promising for warnings to be released this morning for parts of N!

Edited by i luv snow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Temp climbing slowly, up to -1.3c now after the coldest night for nearly two years. Front still only making painfully slow progress.

6z doesn't even show any ppn making it to Cumbria now! Dam it...

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted

Some times unexpected things happen, maybe this will be one...

but it would be unexpected,  I think most of the excitement about the event is because the models originally showed it as as a major one, but even as early as last Thursday they were backing off.    The meto warning matrix has low probability, the media arent getting exited and the charts currently dont look spectacular.  

Hopefully some will get slow, but I hope we avoid the usual, meto, models, bbc, model thread bashing if we dont because for days they havent really bought it.

And  as has been said lots of times, obsessing over a weather app is fairly pointless, the worst are gimmicks that give same weather for a huge area and hardly ever update, the best update regularly and are useful for average joe to use to see if its likely to be rainy tomorrow, they are not designed for weather enthusiasts to use to predict snow in a very marginal uncertain situation.   Does anyone really think Accuweather have access to info the meto dont, or that they have an army of forecasters pouring over the charts and making predictions for every tiny location? 

Fair points Chris.  There was quite a big upgrade in the potential for us last evening, i see that 12hrs later the forecasts have changed again and its looking much more like the events of a few years back where most of the precipitation will not get north of say of the Chorley area then skirt around and head inland and up the coast.

That the output from metoffice themselves keeps changing, indicates there must still be a certain degree of uncertainty, but past experience and all that suggest yet again we will miss it here. 

Most accurate forecast for me normally is the metoffice website, with regular updates and plenty of free info as well. Fingers still crossed and all that but not expecting much if anything at all here. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcw1fv42w#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1421798400

• Like 1

Posted

BBC forecast on the website shows it all as snow for NW England. 

Not much intensity, so hopefully it will just get stuck over us instead

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the far charts, the 850's are widespread -7s and there's a nice 1000 low to the SW of us.

On the face of it, everything looks good for a snowfest so it's a shame the weather front looks so feeble!

• Like 1

Posted

BBC forecast on the website shows it all as snow for NW England. 

Not much intensity, so hopefully it will just get stuck over us instead

It will pivot somewhere over England and whoever gets stuck under that should get hours and hours of snow. Impossible to accurately forecast where that will be though even a few hours beforehand. I'd say North Midlands most likely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Three words will typify this. "North Weat England" :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow

Hi SP - will we get some?  Never got any the other day but higher ground - Prenton, Upton etc got quite a bit I think 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

I told you tues and weds snow events would get downgraded when we got to it didnt i, even turning mild to end the week.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=6412;sess=