Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Local weather..... Cold tonight.... Cloud increases tomorrow afternoon with snow above 300m but maybe a dusting on low ground.... ? â„ï¸â„ï¸â„ï¸

LOL may me chuckle that forecast from Mel

what the **** is going to fall on low ground if the snow line

Is 300m+ polystyrene balls may be

C.S

Edited by cheshire snow
  • Like 1

Posted

Temps have crept upto 1c so not an ice-day here but still bitterly cold - compacted ice on most pavements and side roads and a few inches of snow on grassy areas...

Oldham Church looking very wintery today...

post-727-0-10561900-1421676852_thumb.jpg post-727-0-67085500-1421676853_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodgeredee
  • Like 5

Moisture from the North Sea. Can see clearly on the radar exactly where the moisture is coming from. Showers becoming reinvigorated as they leave the Pennines, then die a quick death.

They are actually gaining in intensity as they leave the Manchester area and head NE towards Leeds.

Posted

From what I can gather this could well  turn out to be  the last chance saloon, really hope that the stuff that some of us had on Boxing Day doesn't turn out to be our lot for the season.

Edited by SnowObsessor90

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Apparently someone rang the BBC to say there was a

Snowfest on the way to NW, if you are watching dont worry

There isn't........

Sound familiar, reverse psychology and all that

C.S

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

Hi CS, as above really, at least for my location. might get a little sleety snow and patchy light rain. Anywhere further North with some height should get a few CM but nothing like the depths discussed in the MO thread IMO, 10 and 15cm have been mentioned there. I would go less than that. Oddly we may do better Wednesday if the front stalls and pivots as there will be colder draw again by then with the associated warm sectors vanquished. 

I say that based on everything being so marginal Tuesday for DP's to 850's right down to even the amount of ppn and the fact MetO have never been keen on asnow event, always mentioning rain/sleet snow and "snow on hills"

I think it is better to have low expectations though as anything will be an unexpected bonus for me.

i dont know what to make of this situation to be honest...so many different opinions...met still have my area down for heavy snow tue night into wednesday...gonna go down to the wire i think.

Posted

Snowed so lightly for last hour now.... Slight layer ontop of areas wed cleared yesterday, and on bins, cars....

Posted

i dont know what to make of this situation to be honest...so many different opinions...met still have my area down for heavy snow tue night into wednesday...gonna go down to the wire i think.

I have no warnings over my area when I look on im not far from you really?

A few flakes floating in the wind

Posted

I have no warnings over my area when I look on im not far from you really?A few flakes floating in the wind

...not in warnings just the actual forecast for blackburn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

The BBC weather showing snow and some sleet for Leyland. That place is at the west of M6 and not far from it.

So Leyland is lower than Chorley so that means to me is an upgrade. :-)

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Got a horrible feeling it's going to be a non event! The front will raise the wet bulb & dew points, snow likely restricted to high ground. The Met have far more tools to be able to forecast this accurately, hence no warnings have been issued for the region. Who would you believe the GFS or the Met Office!? lol

Been a cold day here with a max of 2.7c. 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

We only forcast sleet again !!!!!!

Posted

...not in warnings just the actual forecast for blackburn.

oh I see ty

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Although the Met Office weather map is still showing heavy snow tomorrow afternoon! Keeps changing each update from rain to sleet to snow then back again!

Posted

Got a horrible feeling it's going to be a non event! The front will raise the wet bulb & dew points, snow likely restricted to high ground. The Met have far more tools to be able to forecast this accurately, hence no warnings have been issued for the region. Who would you believe the GFS or the Met Office!? lol

Been a cold day here with a max of 2.7c.

...I know..very concerned the warnings havent been updated....they could be waiting for the 12Zs though

Posted

Although the Met Office weather map is still showing heavy snow tomorrow afternoon! Keeps changing each update from rain to sleet to snow then back again!

It's stayed the same for Bolton. Still down for heavy snow Tuesday night in to Wednesday morning

Posted

Lovely surprise snowfall today, 3rd day in a row.

makes me feel all festive.

Why can't it be like this at Christmas?!

• Like 4

Posted

Skies have cleared now, suns reminding us that it still exists as it dips down on the western horizon. Could be even colder tonight is the skies remain cloud free.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

We need clear skies tonight. The colder we get the better chance for snow tomorrow evening. :-)