Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Obviously can't speak for Liverpool or lower areas of Lancashire and Greater Manchester but early February 91 was quite severe up here for snow.

We had to wait until January 2010 for a heavier fall and then March 2013 to see a better blizzard.

Easterlies usually crap for us...but who knows, weather has a mind of its own

Posted

BBC regional and national forecast bottled it again. We're 2 days away for god's sake, inexcusable imo...

I seem to recall reading several articles in the media a couple of years ago stating that the BBC were going to try and represent weather forecasting more positively.

I guess it's just a case of not calling it until it's nailed on for fear of getting it wrong?

Edited by clangers23

Posted

What's all this talk about snow in St Helens? Nothing here a few miles west, apart from some icy surfaces. Either it's too marginal or I miss the showers completely when it's not. Just as last night's Irish Sea showers magically died out when it became cold enough for snow.  :wallbash:

I really hope Tuesday/Wednesday delivers the goods. M6 my backside!

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Why is the M6 always used as a guideline? It's a myth and usually complete bo**ocks!

Probably because it coincides with a certain heights above sea level and distance from the sea. So people use it as a rough guideline.

Obviously it's not meant to be taken literally.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Probably because it coincides with a certain heights above sea level and distance from the sea. So people use it as a rough guideline.

Obviously it's not meant to be taken literally.

Yep exactly. For this part of the world,I've often noticed the M6 as a divide. I saw it regularly when I used to intersect junction 16 down the A500 on the way to uni in Stoke.

Posted

Who made my garden in to a skating ring slipped twice while feeding chickens I hope it melts today- love snow , hate ice !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Very cold this morning, currently -3.2c with ice, frost and a small sprinkle of snow!

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Got down to -5.1°C at some point, now -4.2°C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

:)

post-16474-0-59163000-1421650995_thumb.j

post-16474-0-25787700-1421651001_thumb.j

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

post-16474-0-32522700-1421651378_thumb.j

post-16474-0-14128800-1421651385_thumb.j

post-16474-0-70016800-1421651391_thumb.j

:D  What a upgrade!!

Should they put out a weather warning by now?
Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Oh man!post-19090-0-47729900-1421651983_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

It is very frosty, icy and everything is frozen solid outside now. The existing lying snow probably hard as a rock in some places by now.

I just watched the BBC forecast and it still looks the same as yesterday. I think it is just outdated by now.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

If the 00z is an upgrade, im the king or urdu! TBF it does show snow/sleet up to the m57 and that more than covers st helens up to knowsley which is about 5miles inland

Posted

BBC weather forecast has me down for snow from Tuesday evening to 3am Wednesday. Now let's see if it actually happens lol

Posted

I wouldn't get excited by the weather apps and the website (we know what they were like on Saturday), they are computer generated afterall. Carol just said rain with snow on the hills, I'm thinking this is a recipe for disappointment #pessimistmode

• Like 1

Posted

Trying not to get reeled in but accuweather has my down for 1-3cm of snow and the weather channel has me down for 3-7cm......I'm not a total geek checking every weather site...honest :p

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Temp risen slightly to -2.7c. 

Posted

-4.5c dew -6c hard frost.... Looking good for our area this week.... Looking at forecasts lookslike some places could get 10-20cm through this week (through to friday) Predominantly higher ground but where fronts stall or showers set up i wouldnt rule out a covering lower down....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

We have been downgraded to sleet and rain again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

I wouldn't get excited by the weather apps and the website (we know what they were like on Saturday), they are computer generated afterall. Carol just said rain with snow on the hills, I'm thinking this is a recipe for disappointment #pessimistmode

The BBC are known to play down these things - I think this is a nowcasting situation really, but I am hopeful the ppn will be snow - I have seen numerous ppn charts and seen lots of excellent explanations in the mod threat to convince me! Fingers crossed. 

Posted

Well according my MetO app we're down for heavy snow from tomorrow evening through to Wednesday AM, with so much volatility in modelling this still I think this is definitely a nowcasting situation.

• Like 1