Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Out in the sticks but on a hill.... Valleys should be pretty chilly come tomorrow.... I think maybe -5/-6c here in valleys.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Looks like our snow is from a very isolated shower with the main activity being west and east of here.

The radar is showing a larger cluster coming into Lancashire from the direction of the Yorkshire Dales but this looks like it will track east of the Pennines rather than down the spine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Salwick.

Light Snow.

Winds more of a direct Northerly - all the difference.

Remarkable.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

To show how the weather can outwit experts, models etc, did any anticipate the line of showers to develop?

i did. Lol Edited by Stratocumulus perlucidus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Hi BT,

I am located in Garston and we had a bit of wet snow/hail last night, freezing fog this morning then we had that rain moving in - gone a bit dark now.

Just asking what do you think the chances of us getting snow cover (at least a few cm) later this week? going by this event on Tuesday and Wednesday and later on in the week - do you think we could see something interesting?

Even if we don't do you think we could have more opportunities later in the week - and I sure we will if this stratospheric warming comes off.

Luke

Hello Luke,

Yeah we also had the burst of snow this morning, followed by a spell of rain as the cold front moves down from the north, a very weak one but it's introduced much cleaner, more snow-supportive air from the north.

Well with regards to Tuesday and Wednesday, I wouldn't like to call it just yet. The NMM is flipping back and forwards between dryness and some rather juicy looking PPN, the Met Office call light sleet and nothing more for a few hours, the GFS gives us precipitation but with milder uppers as a consequence to go with it. If I had to guess, I would say we'll see a period of transitional snow, starting off mainly as rain at our level, then as the heavier stuff moves through it'll turn increasingly wintry. But until the Met Office come on board (right now they expect the front to fizzle out a lot before it even reaches the east of Northern Ireland). But we'll see.

Snow in the next few minutes here, so let's concentrate on that firstly. :)

Edited by Backtrack
  • Like 1

Posted

There is a shortwave over east anglia.

post-12571-0-55075300-1421605328_thumb.j

Posted

What does this mean for us?

Nothing. There isn't a shortwave anywhere... There's a low in the North Sea producing showers in the east.

Posted

Looks like our snow is from a very isolated shower with the main activity being west and east of here.

The radar is showing a larger cluster coming into Lancashire from the direction of the Yorkshire Dales but this looks like it will track east of the Pennines rather than down the spine.

The radar animation is baffling, the line of preciptation coming down the Yorkshire, the line that has developed across Central Lancashire sinking southwards but that cluster over Yorkshire Dales is going nowhere. Why?

I wonder if there is a small low involved with this?

Posted

What does this mean for us?

im not sure if it is a sw but if it is it cud be responsible for the ppn

Posted

The radar animation is baffling, the line of preciptation coming down the Yorkshire, the line that has developed across Central Lancashire sinking southwards but that cluster over Yorkshire Dales is going nowhere. Why?

There's one in the North Sea, they're causing the showers. It's interesting this though, they're forming over the land. Shows how much moisture there is in the atmosphere at present.

Posted

maybe developing over north sea where i thought it was a shortwave. It looks like the birth of a low

There's one in the North Sea, they're causing the showers. It's interesting this though, they're forming over the land. Shows how much moisture there is in the atmosphere at present.

lol someone was joking last night about lake effect snow and these are building over windermere area lol

Posted

Theres a few kinks over nw south of cumbria too

Posted

Yes but why are the ones across the Yorkshire Dales not sinking southwards as well, everything else is. Is that cluster actually an anaprop?

Posted

Theres a few kinks over nw south of cumbria too

Peter, kinks in the isobars aren't shortwaves mate. There's kinks all over the flow currently!

Posted

Just watched the weather on bbc doesn't show much ppn tonight and tomorrow and the front moving in off the irish sea Monday into Tuesday looks to break up too much

Posted

Yes but why are the ones across the Yorkshire Dales not sinking southwards as well, everything else is. Is that cluster actually an anaprop?

I wish I knew. Without any solar input all I can think of is it's due to the shear amount of moisture in the atmosphere. It's not anaprop, it's snowing here right now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

Our resident cold expert on mod thread...mr s murr is very bullish about his snow map being correct..

And were in the middle of it, some right in the sweet spot.

• Like 1