Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Well looking at the model output it's a bit of a mixed bunch really, on one hand the cold seems to get extended a little but the precipitation gets downgraded a lot. As for snow on Tuesday and the rest of the week, well it looks a case of nowcasting as it all looks very marginal indeed with any signal for snow looking weaker by the hour due to the mild sector which appears to take a liking for the NW. This is the problem when you don't have any heights over Greenland for our neck of the woods, we're always on the edge of the colder uppers. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Heavy freezing rain here now, -0.9°

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I'll eat my hat if this comes off tonight!! Lol

post-9615-0-49742400-1421575787_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

it won't be unheard to have another upgrade in between :)

Always possible and we're certainly due an upgrade but I'd not put my last fiver on it.

In the more immediate term, the precipitation to the north is now starting to enter Lancashire.

What if anything falls, we'll have to wait and see but the wait shouldn't be too long.

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Looking at quickly at the NMM12 any snow looks like it would be restricted to inland elevated locations as Temps and DP's remain positive as the front moves in before breaking up. 

In these situations, it's going to be nowcasting not using any form of model to distinguish rain/sleet/snow imo. I wouldn't rule out snow for our region yet.

The GFS ppn charts for example show less heavy ppn (however these things can change) but still go for snow from both fronts in areas of the NW - the first front seems to arrive a little later however.. Of course, it's still all up in the air.

Edited by i luv snow

Posted

Always possible and we're certainly due an upgrade but I'd not put my last fiver on it.

In the more immediate term, the precipitation to the north is now starting to enter Lancashire.

What if anything falls, we'll have to wait and see but the wait shouldn't be too long.

NW radar says it is snow. Although Liam J has just said it was rain for him. It's still 0oC and foggy here in Manchester, and snowy across parts of Lancashire, so hopefully any ppn will be snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Thick with fog here

Non here, clouding over a bit but still sunny.

• Like 1

I'll eat my hat if this comes off tonight!! Lol

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The -10°C will be for somewhere like Shap in Cumbria. From the 06z synop report this morning they have 4cm snow and recorded a minimum of -7.7°C last night so a lower figure should be possible tonight.

Edited by Interitus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Heavy sleety rain here

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah I noticed it was very cold on Shap earlier but the temp jumped up as the ppn moved in. 3c here and still cloudy. 

Posted

Heavy sleety rain here

Does Liverpool have freezing fog like in parts of Lancs and Mancs?This is holding temps down here.

Unfortunately it seems the ppn moving in from Irish sea is rain on Welsh coasts/Merseyside area - but the front moving down will introduce northerly winds later today, will feel very cold. Unfortunately, a northerly will problem start to dampen the ppn in this region, making it a lot drier, but will definitely be colder than the westerly influence we had from the Irish sea.

Places around freezing now, should hopefully see a little more snow before this though with the front moving through. I have no hopes for me as we only saw sleety rain then wet snow last night - but areas away from city centre's should still see the white stuff falling!

Tonight, will be very cold for everyone!

Edited by i luv snow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Still rain here, although now stopped. temp now +1.1° and rising quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Does Liverpool have freezing fog like in parts of Lancs and Mancs?This is holding temps down here.

Unfortunately it seems the ppn moving in from Irish sea is rain on Welsh coasts/Merseyside area - but the front moving down will introduce northerly winds later today, will feel very cold. Unfortunately, a northerly will problem start to dampen the ppn in this region, making it a lot drier, but will definitely be colder than the westerly influence we had from the Irish sea.

Places around freezing now, should hopefully see a little more snow before this though with the front moving through.

And tonight, will be very cold for everyone!

Hiya !! No fog here im afraid. Just heavy showers. Am getting a bit sick of the sleety rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
In these situations, it's going to be nowcasting not using any form of model to distinguish rain/sleet/snow imo. I wouldn't rule out snow for our region yet.

The GFS ppn charts for example show less heavy ppn (however these things can change) but still go for snow from both fronts in areas of the NW - the first front seems to arrive a little later however.. Of course, it's still all up in the air.[/quote

I like your enthusiasm, the forecast on news 24 15 mins showed

The front fragmenting rapidly as it hits the mainland, and as far as

PPN charts are concerned they are all useless, yes this week will

Be in the cool category with ice and frost, but for those looking

for a good snow event, I think most will be dissapointed, such a

shame that what looked quite promising has yet again be

downgraded to nothing, standard for this country i, m afraid

C.S

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

All those saying no snow tue ....steve murr disagrees his snow forecast map with us in a prime spot still stands...also 6z still shows heavy snow for us.....ALL IS NOT LOST.

• Like 2

Posted

I wouldn't get too down about Tuesday even if it doesn't snow, met office are just reacting to whatever the models are showing them on each run by the looks of things, we'll know more on the 12z.

Posted

Hiya !! No fog here im afraid. Just heavy showers. Am getting a bit sick of the sleety rain.

Well the temp reached -2.4°C in the early morning and was still at -1 before this rain arrived, but is now risen Way above freezing.. The temps should have been low enough but it seems we cannot even get snow at -1° anymore.

Posted

NMM4 temp predictions come Monday morning. Also shows the front Tue evening decaying rapidly as it moves over Ireland. 

post-9615-0-87483300-1421577212_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-57518600-1421577368_thumb.pn